Remove Advertisements

Transmogrification and stuff!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Void Storage and Transmogrifier's

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:37 pm

Mukat wrote:
Chicken wrote:Just keep in mind that it's technically a bannable offense to do so, since replacing models can allow you to do such fun things like skipping every boss in AQ40 except the Prophet Skeram if you're looking to kill C'Thun.

could you elaborate on how this would work? not how you do it.

I would assume it involves replacing closed doors with small models.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Aug 15, 2011 3:14 pm

The exploit involved the female gnome model and running behind walls, IIRC.

The fact that's it's a bannable offense is why I'd love to be able to do something like this totally sanctioned by Blizz. :D
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:22 pm

The C'Thun exploit was world models, not player models. There's a very big difference -- people do world editing to access stuff like the exceedingly strange Emerald Dream areas, and to remove the floor from early AQ to allow you to drop into C'Thun's room directly. I'm not sure if this is still possible, but I know that some of the folks who put up exploration videos have been banned for it.

As far as I know nobody has been banned for changing player models to other races; despite Blizzard's stance against it, I think their main goal was to make it impossible. Replacing textures seems to be permitted, but I don't believe they've ever confirmed as much.

Shoju wrote:Yrma 2.0 is a more realistic suggestion, and one that I'm surprised hasn't been discussed more. It would logically be the more 'realistic' explanation of the NPC based on past behaviors by blizzard. I was never able to raid SWP as progression, could someone who did comment on how well received that NPC was? Did you use it a lot?

It was simply an NPC which exchanged one offset piece for another, so for example (IIRC) if you wanted the tank chest you waited for the holy paladin chest to drop, and converted it. There was another NPC who allowed you to turn in T6 tokens for the previous tier of PvP gear. Both of these concepts are thoroughly embodied in the current token/VP/conquest system, and the closest thing to it on live is the separate NPC for crystallized firestones... Which already exists, and wouldn't make sense next to the reforger.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Mukat » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:46 pm

I thought that NPC allowed you to exchange the one piece of gear that dropped for the other one. For example, I recall a tank piece suited for warrior tanks only dropping from some boss in Sunwell, but you could exchange that piece with a sunmote to the NPC for one suited to paladin tanks. The paladin item never dropped from any boss, but so long as you had a plate tank, the item that dropped could get used. I never raided Sunwell though, so it's likely I misread the functionality of this approach 3 or 4 years ago.
Mukat

Postby Dane » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:46 am

halabar wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:And I think you guys are pigeonholing me into a healing role here. I'm not saying I DON'T look up from Grid, obviously you can't heal properly if you don't know where people are standing, but there's nothing efficient about trying to find the tank in the middle of the melee pack and trying to select them based on what gear they are wearing.

Sure, but I never said I did that. That doesn't reduce the important of having well recognizable gear sets.

CryptStalker will be very recognizable, even moreso because it won't change as gear is upgraded, I'll keep that look. (maybe demonstalker... need to go see how that looks on a orc and dwarf..)

Ok. So you've got an easily identifiable look you like...but what happens when Random Pug X has decided that he doesn't like ANY of the tier, but instead LOVES head slot 1 from BFD, shoulder slot 4 from Gnomeregan and weapon 3 from The Arcatraz?

Seriously...will you be able to tell what gear level you're playing with when you find yourself grouped with this guy? http://penny-arcade.com/comic/2008/01/02

I just don't think I've seen a viable proposal yet to allow for the cosmetic changes people seem to want so much. It'd be nice if Blizz could come up with SOMETHING good though.
Dane

Postby Chicken » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:48 am

PsiVen wrote:The C'Thun exploit was world models, not player models. There's a very big difference -- people do world editing to access stuff like the exceedingly strange Emerald Dream areas, and to remove the floor from early AQ to allow you to drop into C'Thun's room directly. I'm not sure if this is still possible, but I know that some of the folks who put up exploration videos have been banned for it.

As far as I know nobody has been banned for changing player models to other races; despite Blizzard's stance against it, I think their main goal was to make it impossible. Replacing textures seems to be permitted, but I don't believe they've ever confirmed as much.
This basically. As far as I'm aware Blizzard has just made any form of model editing a bannable offense, mostly to prevent the headache of having to differ between the harmless and harmful applications of it. However, I also haven't heard of anyone getting banned for purely cosmetic changes, but it's still something you should use at your own risk. They also periodically break known methods of model editing.
Chicken

Postby Worldie » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:21 am

I just though this was worth quoting for those who don't or can't read MMO

theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:51 am

Worldie wrote:I just though this was worth quoting for those who don't or can't read MMO

Which would be even more helpful if I could see the image :D. It appears that site is blocked for me as well.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:53 am

Reuploaded it:
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:56 am

Imageshack is blocked too. :lol:
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby lythac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:02 am

Work?

Worldie's post points to the page, not the image. Can always see the image on the page http://www.thedailyblink.com/2011/08/at ... ent-boink/ if not blocked.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Aug 16, 2011 5:34 am

Nope, they're all blocked for me:

Webfilter response for thedailyblink wrote:Webfilter Category: Blogs/Personal Pages
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Tue Aug 16, 2011 7:26 am

It's Calvin and Hobbes at the Tmog guy. It's funny.
Shoju

Postby Hrobertgar » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:13 am

Again, for ppl worried about gear level, you can still get mods similar to gear score mod, they just work a little different nowadays. Even if Transmogrify would allow model swapping, calculating ilvl is still a straightforward task that can be performed on the fly.

Each slot has a certain amount of points it gets which changes based on ilvl (especially now that green/blue/purple mean nothing for cata gear). So even if someone was using a T2 model their gear would still have the points of an ilvl 391 or whatever piece.

I actually have Athene's gear check (now an out of date add-on) running at all times so I can get an idea of what everyone's equipped ilvl is in my group. And sometimes you would be surprised. I used bag gear to get my huntard into a guild run heroic at ilvl 316, and I have seen others in heroics around 318-320 as well. My criteria for annoyance is they're cluefullness about pulling decent dps and standing out of fire. I have seen 350 equipped players pull 8k in a zul while my BM huntard pulled 10k on my first boss at 316. But it at least helps to set an expectation. I know most serious PvP players can identify gear based on sight and some PvE players can as well, but add-ons can always calculate ilvl on the fly if needed.
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby lythac » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:31 am

Hrobertgar wrote:I have seen others in heroics around 318-320

Could it be Heirloom gear that is lowering their equipped ilvl or does the mod count them as 333 (or whatever they are)?
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

PreviousNext

Return to General