Longest boss encounters (at level)?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Longest boss encounters (at level)?

Postby Shyrtandros » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:16 am

Skye1013 wrote:I'm glad WoW never took this approach...

Btw, not sure if that's a fully working link as it's blocked at work, and I had to edit the google search link. Let me know and I'll try to fix it :D.

Blocked :(
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Worldie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:26 am

You don't really need to read it (It's something i had read already in the past though), just check the link
Code: Select all
http://kotaku.com/Ffinal-fantasy-xi-boss-takes-at-least-18-hours-to-beat

Code: Select all
18-hours-to-beat
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Astronomic » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:18 am

Lich king while doing the "Been waiting a long time for this" achievment. z.z

Kel'thuzad lasted a while too cuz u got that 5 minute add phase at the beginning followed by a boss with alot of HP for the level.

Kael lasted for ever... vashj lasted for ever... I dont remember it how long those were though, maybe they just seemed long compared with kara/za bosses
You can have my gold for free, The mobs of elywnn forest are holding on to it.
Astronomic

Postby Worldie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:25 am

Vashj and Kael were approximately 13-14 minutes fight.

Kel Thuzad had first phase lasting 5 minutes + approximately 6-7 more minutes of fight.

Well of course compared to 3-4 min fights of TBC 10 men, they looked...different.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Senador » Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:56 am

If my memory serves:

Illidan had his 25 minute enrage timer changed to 20 minutes at some point, causing a bit of an outcry, as the DPS requirements suddenly became much harder to do. Normally we had two blood lusts, one in phase 2 to get the elementals down and another in the final phase, usually during a trap.

Kael was pretty close to 20-25 minutes, especially pre advisor health nerf, where they all had full HP in phase 1. Even if it only took 2 minutes per advisor (DPSing, and positing each advisor, and waiting for the stupid stun to fade off your tanks), you were looking at 8 minutes for phase 1, another 2 for phase 2, and 3 more for phase 3 (Since these phases were timed), leaving you 13 minutes in before you actually started dealing with Kael himself and then had to divert to break MCs, and deal with birds.

Those were the two longest fights I remember, though I don’t have much experience in Vanilla at level, so can’t compare.
Senador

Postby Worldie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:18 am

Ouch, Kael before the advisor nerf must have been very boring. We did it after the P1 nerf, was much more bearable.

I remember my videos lasting about 15 mins of both Kael and Vash, and 21 mins for Illidan, so durations should be around there.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Treck » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:25 am

What makes a long encounter feel even a lot longer is how the learningcurve of the different phases go.
Illidan was all about p2 control.
Sure there was parasites and some other stuff to deal with, but if you made it through the fire adds, the fight just got easier and easier.

Kael was the same, even if the fight was very long, it wasnt the end of the fight that was the hardest part.
Meaning that once you got past it, you were pretty close to killing it anyway.

Long encounters are pretty enjoyable imo as long as you dont wipe there a few times.
Oneshotting 15min encounters is a lot more fun that oneshotting 3-4 min fights.

Fights that are +15min long, and every phase is harder than the last, is just frustrating, working 15min to reach the next phase where you have to start progressing isnt very good design imo :P (or atleast not that enjoyable imo :P)
Treck

Postby Firas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:43 am

Shannox, which I've only done on normal, is so boring it feels like days have gone by.
Firas

Postby Worldie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:23 am

Wait till you see it in heroic, same fight from 100% to dead. zZzZz...

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Arianne » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:41 am

I remember Kael being the longest fight ever. Our guild had lots of problems on the last phase with people not being able to do the Z-axis stuff while interrupting, keeping the staff aura spread far enough around and not killing people who were MC'd while trying to shiv them. Plus the one at a time advisor speeches were zzzzzzz....
Arianne

Postby Firas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:21 pm

Worldie wrote:Wait till you see it in heroic, same fight from 100% to dead. zZzZz...

I tried switching it up with our other tank and switching tank targets this week, but it was still WAY boring. It honestly would not be so bad if the fight didn't last forever without any interesting mechanics going on.
Firas

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:45 pm

I remember the early Ony40 being 20 minutes long, since we were all in greens. Golemagg took forever too, what with cycling healer groups and melee constantly running out to let debuffs drop.

I remember Illidari Council being particularly long and annoying, but that might be due to interrupt shenanigans. Illidan himself was a lot of fun to tank, but long and boring for DPS, apparently.

Kael was horrible because of unskippable RP: fights where you spend a lot of time standing around doing nothing are horrible fights. Fights where you have to slog through 5-10 minutes of stupid fight to get into the meat of things can be demoralizing, especially when combined with raid wiping mechanics.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Senador » Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:57 pm

I think Illidari Council had an enrage of 12 minutes, so it only felt like being a really long fight compared to the environment. Most bosses had 10 minute enrage timers in TBC if it was supposed to matter, but that’s mostly because the fight never changed. It was 12 minutes of doing the exact same thing for that time frame. No phase changes, no killing any of them to change it up. Just 12 minutes of dodging AoE effects, interrupting and doing triage for those targeted by certain specials.

Thinking, I believe Supremus always drug on. Original enrage timer was 10 minutes, but it got nerfed soon after to 15, resulted in hilarity as people died to Volcanoes/punts and the remaining 10-15 people killing it until enrage.
Senador

Postby Worldie » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:23 pm

Illidari Council felt very long because it had nothing remotely fun in it, and in any moment you could be oneshot by a deadly combo. All of the 4 bosses had a skill that would hit you for 70% of your HP, so if by any RNG you get hit by 2 at same time, SPLAT.
Since there was only the hard enrage and the DPS check wasn't punishing (assuming no heal passed), the fight could go on very long even if people died as long as healers, tanks and kickers were alive.

I have done that fight as Tank, Healer, Dps, even interrupter, and I clearly remember just blindly staring at their HP bars hoping they would die soon.

Thank god they quite quitted doing that kind of fights... O WAIT SHANNOX

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Nothan » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:29 pm

1. Kael'Thas was by far the longest fight I've ever done. I remember it took nearly half an hour and we actually wiped one night at 4% because the tanks shield despawned, followed by everyone else's weapons shortly there after.

2. Illidan was pretty long too, Vashj, Council, Twin Emps, Vicidius (lol) hmm...come to think of it, almost all the really long fights are in BC.

3. Nowadays, the only fight that felt long recently was Alysrazor and LK.
Nothan

PreviousNext

Return to General