Remove Advertisements

Maintankadin Blizzcon Meetup NOW WITH PICTURES OMG

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Would you be interested in attending a Maintankadin Blizzcon meet-up?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:50 am

Yes, but only on Thursday (October 20).
1%
Yes, but only on Friday (October 21).
1%
Yes, but only on Saturday (October 22).
1%
Yes, but only on Thursday or Saturday.
1%
Yes, and any day would be fine.
12%
I'm not going to Blizzcon but I like voting in internet polls.
82%

Total votes : 73

Re: Maintankadin Blizzcon Meet-up Thread

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:36 am

Holy shit YES!
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Re: Maintankadin Blizzcon Meet-up Thread

Postby Invisusira » Sat Oct 01, 2011 4:57 am

OFFICIAL MAINTANKADIN MEET-UP

Where: Clancy's Clubhouse
About a 10-15 minute walk from the Convention Center.
2191 South Harbor Blvd, 714-750-7500

When: Thursday, October 20th. 9:00 PM.

I'd forgotten that there aren't really "pubs" in the States; they're called "sports bars" and are pretty much all football-themed. Oh well. I've had them put aside a couple tables for us, enough room for 15-20 people.
Invisusira

Re: Maintankadin Blizzcon Meetup UPDATED with TIME and PLACE

Postby Nikachelle » Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:41 am

Thinking about doing a Vent night before we all leave for the con so we can get everyone's numbers and where they're staying. Any preference in terms of a night? Would like be the week of Blizzcon... so the Monday through the Wednesday I'd imagine.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby sahiel » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:34 am

Monday and Tuesday are raid nights for me so depends what time if it was one of those days, but worst case I can just PM the info on here if I can't get on vent.

Also, good call on the bar, looks like they're pretty gamer friendly since they actually have a promotion for the SC2 tournament on their website! :)
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:37 am

Maybe Sunday is a better idea.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Firas » Sun Oct 02, 2011 5:25 pm

I'll be there whenever. Also, I'm staying at the double tree. Looking forward to meeting some of you guys. (and gals?)
Firas

Postby Thalia » Sun Oct 02, 2011 9:18 pm

Mike and I get into LAX on Thursday at 8:30 pm, by the time we get to my mom's house and put the kids to bed, if you guys think you will still be partying at 11 pm we can be there. Mom's is only 15 mins from Disneyland.
Thalia

Postby sahiel » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:01 pm

Thalia wrote:Mike and I get into LAX on Thursday at 8:30 pm, by the time we get to my mom's house and put the kids to bed, if you guys think you will still be partying at 11 pm we can be there. Mom's is only 15 mins from Disneyland.

Well if we're meeting at 9, 11 would only be 2 hours of drinking... that's barely started!

Of course... that could just be a British thing. I swear I'm not an alcoholic. >.>
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:13 am

Shouldn't be a problem. We'll exchange phone numbers before, just call when you're ready and we'll let you know if we're still there!
Invisusira

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Oct 03, 2011 6:03 am

sahiel wrote:
Thalia wrote:Mike and I get into LAX on Thursday at 8:30 pm, by the time we get to my mom's house and put the kids to bed, if you guys think you will still be partying at 11 pm we can be there. Mom's is only 15 mins from Disneyland.

Well if we're meeting at 9, 11 would only be 2 hours of drinking... that's barely started!

Of course... that could just be a British thing. I swear I'm not an alcoholic. >.>

I get the two hour drinking bit not being much for a Brit, but I have to say, in my experience, the British start drinking frigging and end equally early. I was used to going out for the night around 11 or midnight. In England and Ireland, everyone seemed to be finishing their nights around that time. Was really bizarre.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby fudomyou » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:08 am

I'll most likely be there! \o/
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby sahiel » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:21 am

Nikachelle wrote:
sahiel wrote:

I get the two hour drinking bit not being much for a Brit, but I have to say, in my experience, the British start drinking frigging and end equally early. I was used to going out for the night around 11 or midnight. In England and Ireland, everyone seemed to be finishing their nights around that time. Was really bizarre.

Well, at least in the England, most pubs are required by law to close at 11:15pm, so they stop serving at 11 and kick everyone out 15 minutes later, it's a legally enforced limit unless the pub is able to acquire one of the small number of extension licences, which are usually reserved for special occasions.

However it is changing, and that's a good thing in the long term, due to the relatively early closing hours people would binge drink, get horribly drunk, start fights, etc. Nowdays with the moves to extend hours to 2am or in some cases even further the intent is for people to be able to stay longer and so drink at a more relaxed pace. Of course, being used to the previous style of binge drinking instead people just binge drink for longer, that said, things are slowly changing to a more relaxed rate of drinking.

The big difference is clubs which via a 'members only' policy get to set far later hours (said policy usually boils down to $5-10 entry fee), such places have been closing at 3am or even later for many years now. Hell, back in London my favourite club 'Slimelight' would close at 6am, so we'd similarly not even leave to get started until 11pm ish, when the regular pubs were all closing down.
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:47 am

Yeah that was what I found to be incredibly awkward about going out in England/Ireland/Scotland.

In Dublin, it was near impossible to get dinner past 9 pm. And by the time we'd finish dinner, everyone would be throwing up in the streets (seriously... I was like wtf is this...) by 11pm/midnight.

In England, the bars would physically kick us out around midnight. Like... actually REMOVING THE DRINK FROM MY HAND and booting us out. We had to find "after hours" bars around midnight. To me, after hours bars is like... between the hours of 3 and 5 am not midnight!

The general consensus seemed to be that people in the UK would just go straight from work to the pub. Which makes sense when you can't actually party past 11 or midnight. But here, you don't actually go OUT till that time.

Depending on the place here though... clubs and pubs generally stay open relatively the exact same hours (Between 2 and 3 am on the weekends).
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby sahiel » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:08 pm

WTB [Canadian Job] PST

Sadly it's much the same in the US, at least it is in St Louis, other than a few clubs the bars close down at 11-12pm and there's nowhere to go, getting food after 10pm is almost impossible bar a few all night dinners.

That was always one of my favourite parts of living in London, there was always somewhere open to drink, eat, relax, get coffee, whatever at literally any time of the day or night if you knew where to go. In that respect it's very different from pretty much the rest of of the UK.
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Thalia » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:16 pm

It's different in every state in the U.S.

In California...there is no time to stop serving, not that I remember.

In Washington state they stop serving at 2 am.

In Utah I heard they don't serve on Sundays..or sell on Sundays.

In Nevada, more specifically Las Vegas, you can walk drunk down the street with a martini on your hand at 4 am, perfectly acceptable.

It's all up to how that states want to run it.
Thalia

PreviousNext

Return to General