Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:33 pm

Aerron wrote:
Sagara wrote:Found:

Q: Are there long-term effects on an undead who is in regular contact with the Holy Light in a positive way?

A: It is difficult to say, as there are no known records of undead wielding the Holy Light before the Third War. There are reports, however, that some Forsaken have slowly experienced a sharpening of their dulled senses of touch, smell, etc., as well as an increase in the flashes of positive emotions that have otherwise become so rare since their fall into undeath. Unfortunately, this may be the cause of the Forsaken priesthood's increased attempts at self-destruction; regaining these senses would force the priests to smell their own rotting flesh, taste the decay in their mouths and throats, and even feel the maggots burrowing within their bodies.

So what this is telling me is ... if they were fully/truly aware of their condition, they would seek to end it.

Fair enough.

Yep, pretty much. That's what I took away from that Q&A. Basically it looks like Sagara and I made veeeery different conclusions from reading the same material as I didn't recognize what he was referencing here. There's something inside the rotting flesh all right... maggots.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Sagara » Tue Jul 19, 2011 3:34 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
Aerron wrote:
Sagara wrote:Found:

Q: Are there long-term effects on an undead who is in regular contact with the Holy Light in a positive way?

A: It is difficult to say, as there are no known records of undead wielding the Holy Light before the Third War. There are reports, however, that some Forsaken have slowly experienced a sharpening of their dulled senses of touch, smell, etc., as well as an increase in the flashes of positive emotions that have otherwise become so rare since their fall into undeath. Unfortunately, this may be the cause of the Forsaken priesthood's increased attempts at self-destruction; regaining these senses would force the priests to smell their own rotting flesh, taste the decay in their mouths and throats, and even feel the maggots burrowing within their bodies.

So what this is telling me is ... if they were fully/truly aware of their condition, they would seek to end it.

Fair enough.

Yep, pretty much. That's what I took away from that Q&A. Basically it looks like Sagara and I made veeeery different conclusions from reading the same material as I didn't recognize what he was referencing here. There's something inside the rotting flesh all right... maggots.

Yeah, I noticed "positive emotions" ;-)
That's the spin - the Light CAN help. Okay it's horribly painful. Okay, it's probably a suicide. But, hey! At least they HAVE a chance!

And besides, that's the whole point: the Forsaken can go beyong their usual petiness. There are lots of string attached, but the choice is there.
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Dantriges » Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:58 pm

Seems to me that a Forsakenhas the choice between being filled with negative emotions, dulled senses and well the small joys of life are missing, too or you gain normal perceptions and feel positive emotions sometimes with the added benefit of feeling your own decay.

It´s a quality of unlife, issue. i would rather prefer to be dead than undead. That´s not something worth existing for.

And if these aren´t just exaggerations, this undead state doesn´t seem permanent or very long anyways. Rotting flesh, burrowing maggots indicate that your body will decay sometime, probaby pretty soon.
Dantriges

Postby alayire » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:51 pm

Dantriges wrote:It seems to me at least that the Elves and the rest don´t share so much in culture/common goals, etc. The blood elves probably don´t like the humans but it seems to me that they don´t have this huge amount of hatred that the orcs have against the humans. Disliking someone doesn´t mean you bash his head in.
awwww Alliance bias alert!

I mean it's obvious you are Alliance biased, but Orcs burning with hatred against humans? pardon my french but that's a load of bullcrap. that didn't happen even in the wars, Orcs were burning with legion blood against everything. It had nothing to do with the humans at all.
alayire

Postby Passionario » Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:24 am

Dantriges wrote:Seems to me that a Forsakenhas the choice between being filled with negative emotions, dulled senses and well the small joys of life are missing, too or you gain normal perceptions and feel positive emotions sometimes with the added benefit of feeling your own decay.

It´s a quality of unlife, issue. i would rather prefer to be dead than undead. That´s not something worth existing for.

And if these aren´t just exaggerations, this undead state doesn´t seem permanent or very long anyways. Rotting flesh, burrowing maggots indicate that your body will decay sometime, probaby pretty soon.

And I'd rather be an elemental ascendant than a human.

Human bodies get sick, hungry and tired. They wither and eventually they die. Furthermore, the blessed Fire which is the source of all life (hello Alexstrasza) and the true spark of immortality (hello phoenixes) is actually harmful to these fleshy abominations. Human bodies that come into direct contact with fire are burned and disfigured, often with permanent or lethal results.

BRB, joining Twilight Hammer.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Mcduffie » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:09 am

Passionario wrote:
Dantriges wrote:Seems to me that a Forsakenhas the choice between being filled with negative emotions, dulled senses and well the small joys of life are missing, too or you gain normal perceptions and feel positive emotions sometimes with the added benefit of feeling your own decay.

And I'd rather be an elemental ascendant than a human.

Human bodies get sick, hungry and tired. They wither and eventually they die. Furthermore, the blessed Fire which is the source of all life (hello Alexstrasza) and the true spark of immortality (hello phoenixes) is actually harmful to these fleshy abominations. Human bodies that come into direct contact with fire are burned and disfigured, often with permanent or lethal results.

BRB, joining Twilight Hammer.

New class alert: Elemental Ascendant.
Mcduffie

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:36 am

I'd like to see that. Fire aspect for dps, either Earth or Water as healer, any element could be designed as another dps spec (we are missing an air-based caster dps, I guess). Could be a third Mail-wearing class. Will probably never happen, heh.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Dantriges » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:14 am

alayire wrote:
Dantriges wrote:It seems to me at least that the Elves and the rest don´t share so much in culture/common goals, etc. The blood elves probably don´t like the humans but it seems to me that they don´t have this huge amount of hatred that the orcs have against the humans. Disliking someone doesn´t mean you bash his head in.
awwww Alliance bias alert!

I mean it's obvious you are Alliance biased, but Orcs burning with hatred against humans? pardon my french but that's a load of bullcrap. that didn't happen even in the wars, Orcs were burning with legion blood against everything. It had nothing to do with the humans at all.

The quests in Wrath where Orc forces assaulted both the Alliance and the Scourge? Result: Alliance and Horde killed, Scourge wins.
Dantriges

Postby Levantine » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:25 am

How the hell are you going from Horde attacks Alliance to "huge amount of hatred that the orcs have against the humans"?
Levantine

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:31 am

KysenMurrin wrote:I'd like to see that. Fire aspect for dps, either Earth or Water as healer, any element could be designed as another dps spec (we are missing an air-based caster dps, I guess). Could be a third Mail-wearing class. Will probably never happen, heh.

I think that would be too similar to shaman... fire/lightning dps, water/earth heals.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:52 am

I think it could be distinct enough - have things equivalent to forms for the specs to each have an element, which would keep specs very individual. An Air based dps spec could easily be very different from existing characters, if you avoided giving them Lightning attacks: build it on wind bursts, vortices, maybe involve slows. I guess the healing side might wind up too similar, since Shaman already have Earth Shield and Healing Rain, which reduces the options for a new class.

But I'm dragging this off topic, so lets leave the speculation on non-existent classes behind.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Passionario » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:25 am

If Blizzard decides to turn Sylvanas into the next Staghelm, who could become the next leader of the Forsaken?

My personal nominee is the ghost of King Terenas.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:35 am

Passionario wrote:If Blizzard decides to turn Sylvanas into the next Staghelm, who could become the next leader of the Forsaken?

Long "live" the king?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Sagara » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:38 am

Passionario wrote:If Blizzard decides to turn Sylvanas into the next Staghelm, who could become the next leader of the Forsaken?

THe girl in the early Forsaken quests whose name eludes me right now.

Hateful of herself, with a large helping of parental abuse to seal the deal. Badass AND completely psycho!
When that day comes, seek all the light and wonder of this world, and fight.

Worldie wrote:I used to like it [mean] back on Sylvanas.

Queldan - EU Stormrage (H) - Good night, sweet prince.
Sagara

Postby Levantine » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:39 am

Lilian Voss?
Levantine

PreviousNext

Return to General