Remove Advertisements

Interesting Lore Discussion Thread

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Weirdest Guild Rules You've Ever Heard Of

Postby Brekkie » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:26 am

Consort with demons.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Amirya » Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:05 am

Kael'thas was merely a setback?
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:20 am

Sabindeus wrote:Yep. That's why I love it. But keep in mind, saying both sides have "embraced racists, murderers, etc." is a little misleading. You can't assume that anyone was "embraced" per se, only that both sides have their share of bad eggs like any society does. Yeah, some dudes in power in the Alliance got away with some bad shit. That's true. But plenty of worse stuff happened Horde-side.

No, they both have done awful terrible wretched things throughout their history. No side is "worse" than the other. Its pretty much played out specifically like that so there can be these super silly discussions about which side is worse. I mean, I could make a case that throughout their history, the races of the Alliance are more to blame for the awfulness that has happened than anyone else.

The Night Elves destroyed things, their actions led to the Maelstrom's formation, and the arrival of the Burning Legion.
The Night Elves also have spawned some of the worst villains; Illidan, Vashj, Azshara, the Satyr.
A Human is responsible for the Orcs being on Azeroth.
Dark Iron Dwarves allied with the black dragonflight.
and so on and so forth throughout history.

Yes, you can respond with: "But they are all traitors! and Bad guys!" and some logical reason as to why these actions aren't the fault of the alliance as a whole. And you would, in some way, be correct. And I will come back and think up new reasons why the alliance is awful, and that the horde races (outside of the forsaken) are the victims.
Shoju

Postby Mannstein » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:20 am

Sabindeus wrote:All we Humans want is the land that is rightfully ours.

QFT, we the alliance "must find the courage to gather our people and their strength for an advance along the road that will lead this people from its present restricted living space to new land and soil, and hence also free it from the danger of vanishing from the earth or of serving others as a slave nation"

Lets call it the Lebensraum of the human...

P.S. HORDE for life :D
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein

Postby Shoju » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:09 am

Anyway, back to weird guild rules, In TBC, I had an "Alt" Guild horde side entitled: "We Can Swim". It was just a guild for me to squirrel away stuff in teh guild bank, but then someone saw the tag, and guessed the reference. From that point on, The only way people could get into the alt guild was by telling me what the reference was. For a while, it was a bustling little alt guild for people.
Shoju

Postby Maverick13 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:30 am

only thin g i can think of is the bowie reference ;-)
Maverick13

Postby Shoju » Wed Jun 08, 2011 7:50 am

Maverick13 wrote:only thin g i can think of is the bowie reference ;-)

And that would not be it.

You probably would have to know the name of the alt (Junzo). But even then "We Can Swim" is paraphrasing the original source.

The original Source for it, is Here. But the reference of "We / I can Swim" is from a CCG/RPG that I'm a HUGE fan of (though i don't flop cards anymore) and can be found here
Shoju

Postby Digren » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:01 am

Shoju wrote:The loathing that Sab has for Forsaken, can be applied to humans in game for me. They are the complete and total stereotypical 'terrible human being'. Though, I haven't tried to play their starting area since cata. maybe they aren't a bunch of racist / classist / greedy / expansionistic / kill it because its in my way tards anymore.

Humans have had the crap beat out of them pretty much every single game. It doesn't matter if we're on the "winning" side of the final encounters or not. We just keep losing. And I don't just mean the loss of Lordaeron and its lands. Even in Cataclysm note how Orgrimmar got more fortified, and Stormwind got the crap beaten out of it. Humans fortified their base in Westfall, but the Horde is expanding everywhere. Even gains in places like Hearthglen - which I really hoped would be an Alliance output - are being done by the Argent Dawn which accepts both sides as members.

Apparently some humans did screw over the defias - another set of humans. Our bad. And our returned king kinda has a hot temper (not that Hellscream doesn't). But otherwise I just don't see us as aggressors. I really struggle to find someplace where humans are actively trying to take away Horde land. Maybe Halaa. Even most ogres on Draenor end up liking us.
Digren

Postby halabar » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:15 am

Digren wrote:
Shoju wrote:The loathing that Sab has for Forsaken, can be applied to humans in game for me. They are the complete and total stereotypical 'terrible human being'. Though, I haven't tried to play their starting area since cata. maybe they aren't a bunch of racist / classist / greedy / expansionistic / kill it because its in my way tards anymore.

Humans have had the crap beat out of them pretty much every single game. It doesn't matter if we're on the "winning" side of the final encounters or not. We just keep losing. And I don't just mean the loss of Lordaeron and its lands. Even in Cataclysm note how Orgrimmar got more fortified, and Stormwind got the crap beaten out of it. Humans fortified their base in Westfall, but the Horde is expanding everywhere. Even gains in places like Hearthglen - which I really hoped would be an Alliance output - are being done by the Argent Dawn which accepts both sides as members.

Apparently some humans did screw over the defias - another set of humans. Our bad. And our returned king kinda has a hot temper (not that Hellscream doesn't). But otherwise I just don't see us as aggressors. I really struggle to find someplace where humans are actively trying to take away Horde land. Maybe Halaa. Even most ogres on Draenor end up liking us.

Considering how the Stormwind leadership is treating it's displaced citizens outside of Westfall, are we surprised? I imagine they are still putting in a project plan to the zoning commission on how to replace the park.

I have a bad feeling for Ironforge.. Moria's return can spell nothing but trouble.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:16 am

sahiel wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:
The thing is, I don't actually think any of the other Alliance leaders actually backed up the actions of Kul Tiras during that period. In fact Kul Tiras has been shut off from the rest of the Alliance for a long while now, since Admiral Proudmoore's death, so I don't really think you can say that they're affiliated anymore. I seem to recall reading somewhere that Jaina's brother is in charge now and hates her for betraying their father, and Theramore is decidedly an important member nation of the Alliance, so I can't imagine we'd be on good terms anymore.

Garithos was a traitor. He turned himself over to the Undead. Definitely tragic, but in the end no one is condoning his actions.

Yep. That's why I love it. But keep in mind, saying both sides have "embraced racists, murderers, etc." is a little misleading. You can't assume that anyone was "embraced" per se, only that both sides have their share of bad eggs like any society does. Yeah, some dudes in power in the Alliance got away with some bad shit. That's true. But plenty of worse stuff happened Horde-side.

See, I'd disagree, both Proudmore and Garithos were active very high ranking (the highest) military leaders of the Alliance, neither was branded a traitor at the time they took those actions, neither was censored, Proudmore was never ordered back, the Alliance leaders were content to let the majority of their fleet reave the Kalimdor coastline (not one or two ships). Garithos was only called out as a traitor later on when fighting the Dreadlords with Sylvanas, at the time of the battle for Dalaran his actions in regards to the blood elves were accepted without question.

In my mind it's as if a 4 star NATO general ordered a significant portion of their forces to attack another nation (possibly -in- NATO), and, following his orders they do so. Can NATO claim "wasn't our fault! he went-a da craaazy!" and would any other nations, especially the one attacked or betrayed believe/accept that? Unlikely.

In regards to Kul'Tiras, apparently according to the rpg sourcebooks it's "still a valued part of the Alliance", after all it did send merchant ships to Northrend to support the Alliance offensive in Wrath, the Baradin Wardens serve Kul'Tiras in Tol Barad and it patrols the Eastern Kingdoms coast against Murlocs, Naga and Pirates.

If you can come up with some terrible things the Horde has done which the Alliance hasn't done something similar please tell ;)

Two things re: Proudmoore

1. He's the king of a sovereign nation. The analogy to a NATO general is false because he is in fact the political leader of Kul Tiras and Azeroth is a world where military rank and civilian leadership are equivalent. Even if anyone condemned his actions there ain't shit we could do about it without jeopardizing tons of pre-existing treaties.

2. You have to remember that Azeroth isn't a world where news of military action is instantly transmitted, nor can orders be instantly transmitted back, nor are there any unambiguous accounts (such as via photos or video). Even if Highlord Bolvar got a message that said "Admiral Proudmoore's killing orcs!" how would you expect him to interpret that? I don't recall Jaina herself going out and asking for help from anyone at the time, so what exactly could have been done?

Now re: Kul Tiras's current standing, I believe the RPG sourcebooks are woefully out of date since BC but I'd be willing to believe it's true anyway.

Either way, I'm in favor of killing all the Orcs anyway and think Jaina's a dumb. :P

And as for a thing the Orcs did that Humans didn't: Invaded another world to conquer it, razing entire nations to the ground and slaughtering peasants/women/children alike, leaving naught but devastation in their wake.

Also they killed Lothar.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Digren » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 am

halabar wrote:Considering how the Stormwind leadership is treating it's displaced citizens outside of Westfall, are we surprised? I imagine they are still putting in a project plan to the zoning commission on how to replace the park.

I have a bad feeling for Ironforge.. Moria's return can spell nothing but trouble.

Hey now, as chair of my city's zoning commission I take offense at those remarks. Planning is an important part of effective land use.

(Yes, really, and no. :P And yes, really.)
Digren

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:18 am

halabar wrote:I have a bad feeling for Ironforge.. Moria's return can spell nothing but trouble.

Still waiting for someone, ANYone to spell Moira correctly. :(
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:20 am

Also to be fair, it's not bureaucracy keeping the drifters at the gates of Sentinel Hill Keep, it's the utter lack of resources to do anything for them.
Sabindeus

Postby halabar » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:25 am

Sabindeus wrote:Also to be fair, it's not bureaucracy keeping the drifters at the gates of Sentinel Hill Keep, it's the utter lack of resources to do anything for them.

They could conscript them into the army to go help their allies on the other continent.. oh, wait...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:30 am

halabar wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Also to be fair, it's not bureaucracy keeping the drifters at the gates of Sentinel Hill Keep, it's the utter lack of resources to do anything for them.

They could conscript them into the army to go help their allies on the other continent.. oh, wait...

Training footmen requires gold! Like 135 gold!
Sabindeus

PreviousNext

Return to General