Remove Advertisements

Good Old Games.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Good Old Games.

Postby masterpoobaa » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:01 pm

Zero Punctuation had an article on Good Old Games, and a company that refreshes them, makes them work with windows vista/7 and has them available online to download.

If you are old like me, take a misty eyed stroll down nostalgia lane by going to
www.gog.com

Im really tempted to buy Duke Nukem 3d, Myst, Redneck Rampage aaaahhhhh.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Re: Good Old Games.

Postby PsiVen » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:09 pm

Interesting, but I can't see paying money for games I already have in a closet somewhere. I haven't seen a game that I can't configure to run properly with a little rigging.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Jun 08, 2011 12:01 am

PsiVen wrote:Interesting, but I can't see paying money for games I already have in a closet somewhere. I haven't seen a game that I can't configure to run properly with a little rigging.

Ultima 7 The Black Gate/Serpents Isle?

There was a sourceforge project (Exult?) intended to make it playable, but I think it went dark several years ago.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby masterpoobaa » Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:27 pm

True, Some of the games still play ok on a modern machine (baldurs gate springs to mind). But others are a real struggle to run smoothly without some sort of audio/imput/video corruption.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Vort » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:33 pm

Fortunately, Planescape Torment runs perfectly on most modern systems.

I still consider it to be one of the best games that was ever created, and I've played it through about 5 times in the last 10 years.
Ilyashattack wrote:best ret pally, best prot pally, best jewish paladin, ugliest blood elf haircut person

Gárrosh wrote:You have rung a bell which cannot be unrung. Gladiator Astral and The Scum Cleave are an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression. Can you stop an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression? No you can't it's unstoppable.
Vort

Postby mclem » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:43 am

I've bought quite a lot of things from GoG; I appreciate not having the hassle to try to coax things into working on modern systems, and I've got a lot of respect for older games and enjoy playing them even now.

The guys behind it come across as having a lot of passion for their cause - even if they don't quite have 'don't scare people by doing insane stunts' tattooed on their brain just yet.
mclem

Postby Passionario » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:50 am

GOG.com is awesome.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Worldie » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:42 pm

PsiVen wrote:Interesting, but I can't see paying money for games I already have in a closet somewhere. I haven't seen a game that I can't configure to run properly with a little rigging.

Same, even if seeing again some of those titles brought back memories.

Abe's Exodus <3
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby masterpoobaa » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:32 pm

I wish they would upload a game called 'Overboard'
(or 'Shipwreckers' in other parts of the world).

It was an awesome top down arcade-ish action/puzzle solving game where you cruised around as a miniature pirate ship, blasting the crap out of other pirates, capturing bases, finding hidden treasure and solving puzzles.
Was made for windows95, and ran on directx 2 or 3?

I did manage to get it running on Windows7 with the compatibility mode tool, but the 3d graphics are a bit borked and blocky. :(
masterpoobaa

Postby tlitp » Tue Nov 15, 2011 7:25 am

Watching if Quake was done today just reminded me that I haven't hopped on GOG lately. Mea culpa. :mrgreen:
tlitp

Postby Koatanga » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:50 am

Very tempted by Wing Commander, but I don't know if I can hack the obsolete graphics. I wish someone would take WCII and simply update the graphics, without touching the missions or story. I'd definitely buy that.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Tev » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:25 pm

Hmm, they have Beyond Good and Evil, tempting since I was upset it stopped working when I upgraded from XP to Vista 64 bit and it wouldn't successfully install any more. I may wait tho, I'm kinda in the ballpark of 'why pay more money to run something I already own'.
Tev

Return to General