Weirdest Guild Rules You've Ever Heard Of

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Weirdest Guild Rules You've Ever Heard Of

Postby sahiel » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:45 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:Bandages? Yeah, I can't get with you on that one. I could possibly see DPS using them on rare occasions, but not tanks and healers. The fact that they were channeled and healed for small amounts slowly made them not worth the expenditure that could go to more useful things like pots/flasks etc.

Back in the old 40 man raiding days they were clutch for DPS

This, I used to go through so damn many on my rogue in Molten Core, both on myself and on others during the many "melee will be assraped to death if they approach" phases.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby fudomyou » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:52 pm

In our guild, guildies are required to tell us when their birthdays fall on a Tuesday or Thursday (or other Vent night) so that our Icelandic guild member can sing them Happy Birthday in Icelandic.

It's pretty awesome, but anyone who lies about the date of their birthday gets a demotion.
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby Jeremoot » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:21 pm

We're not allowed to sing Wham! in vent. Dropping lightwells in Wrath was forbidden. We're not allowed to put tentative on a raid invite, or if we do, we have to change it to accept/decline at least 2 days in advance.
Jeremoot

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:45 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:Bandages? Yeah, I can't get with you on that one. I could possibly see DPS using them on rare occasions, but not tanks and healers. The fact that they were channeled and healed for small amounts slowly made them not worth the expenditure that could go to more useful things like pots/flasks etc.

Back in the old 40 man raiding days they were clutch for DPS

And for saving mana at a time when healers were using rotations to get in the 5 second rule...

It pretty much ended then however.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:09 pm

Jeremoot wrote:We're not allowed to put tentative on a raid invite, or if we do, we have to change it to accept/decline at least 2 days in advance.

That's not particularly bizarre.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:12 pm

Despite maxing first aid out every expansion, I don't think I've actually used a single bandage since... BC? Then again, I don't PvP or Arena, and I've heard they can be pretty clutch in there.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:34 pm

theckhd wrote:Despite maxing first aid out every expansion, I don't think I've actually used a single bandage since... BC? Then again, I don't PvP or Arena, and I've heard they can be pretty clutch in there.

Don't lie. You must've used it in Wrath for the achievement. Wasn't there one to bandage someone at sub 10% health?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:45 pm

I use very few bandages, but they were helpful when I was doing TB dailies with poor gear. I'm probably still on my first stack, just because I don't think to use them as much as I should. Honestly, having the entire raid bandage on Chimaeron is a pretty good idea if you're having issues there. As for maxed First Aid as a policy, I'm not at all surprised to see that. Actually I would expect most serious raiders since Vanilla to be embarrassed by not having bandages when needed. Yet, I can't quite bring myself to level it on my alts...

Treck wrote:
benebarba wrote:
Thornir wrote:I was in a guild where placing a train during a raid at any time resulted in a /gkick at the very moment. It made sense in the fact that one of our regulars was an older lady, who would get such an earsplitting migraine that she couldn't continue.

wow. That seems a bit... extreme.

Their own damn fault for using ingame sound.

That was generally the argument used by the assholes who insisted on dropping it every time we buffed up for Sartharion. Doesn't hold much water in my book.

Rage and trainwreckers solved that problem pretty well, thankfully. It was definitely guild policy for a while not to drop train sets, but eventually it was just sort of a common courtesy thing ("you should know better").
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Worldie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:00 pm

I totally bought Lil XT for the free trainwrecker on all chars.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby theckhd » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:24 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
theckhd wrote:Despite maxing first aid out every expansion, I don't think I've actually used a single bandage since... BC? Then again, I don't PvP or Arena, and I've heard they can be pretty clutch in there.

Don't lie. You must've used it in Wrath for the achievement. Wasn't there one to bandage someone at sub 10% health?

You're right. So I guess I've used one.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby benebarba » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:29 pm

PsiVen wrote:That was generally the argument used by the assholes who insisted on dropping it every time we buffed up for Sartharion. Doesn't hold much water in my book.

Rage and trainwreckers solved that problem pretty well, thankfully. It was definitely guild policy for a while not to drop train sets, but eventually it was just sort of a common courtesy thing ("you should know better").

OK, at least to me - if someone is chain dropping them to be a jackass (or anything else obnoxious) it is a bit different (though I still think an instant gkick for that specific infraction is a bit much - now kicking them for being a jackass? no problem). Maybe it's because I play with folks who 'don't be an ass' includes 'don't pop things out that make extraneous noises or other distracting whizbangs when it's go time'.

But perhaps this is because by the time I started playing, those things were *real* old hat.
benebarba

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:39 pm

theckhd wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:

You're right. So I guess I've used one.

;)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:33 am

I haven't actually skilled up first aid on my paladin...

didn't need it when levelling
I have a lot more potent self heals
channeling a cast makes you lose all avoidances
I hardly ever specc retribution to dps.
there hasn't yet, in the last three and a bit years, been a situation that would have been saved had I used a bandage.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Hokahey » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:19 am

On my Druid or Shaman, no, I don't bother with First Aid. This has never been an issue, even in Arena. I believe it probably is helpful for Rogues, Mages, Warlocks, and Hunters, and possibly Warriors or DKs, but for anyone who can cast healing spells without a cooldown or special prerequisite its pretty unlikely, in my opinion.

On my Warrior, I've maxed it every expansion, though this expansion its been near worthless, thanks to Victory Rush. On any class where I don't have the inherent ability to cast a non-cooldown healing spell on myself in/out of combat, I max First Aid as a matter of course. The one and only exception has been my Warlock, mostly because it is a highly neglected alt and a Tailor.

Oddly, the character that uses Bandages the most out of characters I've been playing this expansion is my DK, primarily because his gear is crap, and I hate "wasting" Obliterate runes on Death Strike.
Hokahey

Postby Fetzie » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:36 am

I maxed first aid out on my warlock in classic and TBC, and it definitely saved my life a lot (voidreaver flying orbs with the boss immune to drain life >.>)
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

PreviousNext

Return to General