Remove Advertisements

Weirdest Guild Rules You've Ever Heard Of

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Weirdest Guild Rules You've Ever Heard Of

Postby Digren » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:09 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:
Treck wrote:Their own damn fault for using ingame sound.

Man every so often someone comes out against ingame sound and I really don't get it. I feel crippled when I try to play this game with sound off.

For me, my hearing acuity (not sure if that's the right word) is not very good. Even when I have game sounds/music at a minimum in a raid, I have problems hearing my raiders well on Vent. I dislike removing the game sounds as I feel it kills about 50% of the atmosphere of fights, but I'd rather be able to hear my raiders.

I have game sound through the main speakers but vent through headphones, so game sound is great when solo, but a bit muted behind the voices in vent.

I'd never turn off in-game sounds as I partially use them for positional and event clues.
Digren

Postby Worldie » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:16 am

I only faced one stupid rule in the past, and it was actually a friend of mine to experience it

In that guild, trials would always get no loot. Literally. They disenchanged some BiS gear in front of him rather than giving it to him.
Quite stupid if you ask me.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Arkesh » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:38 pm

Worldie wrote:I only faced one stupid rule in the past, and it was actually a friend of mine to experience it

In that guild, trials would always get no loot. Literally. They disenchanged some BiS gear in front of him rather than giving it to him.

I've always been on the fence when it comes to trialists getting loot or not. I guess it really boils down to how thorough your checks are before you trial someone. Although if you've got a member > trial loot rule I supose you have your bases covered as they're not gonna wander off through choice or force with stuff Mr Member needs.

Regardless whilst on trial I don't usually roll/bid/danceoff for loot even if it's going to offspec (if it's being DEed then I might, but I don't think I've been in that situation) just in case I do something that causes me to fail the trial so noone can be pissed I got something over them.
Arkesh

Postby benebarba » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:42 pm

Sabindeus wrote:Man every so often someone comes out against ingame sound and I really don't get it. I feel crippled when I try to play this game with sound off.

I'm the same way. I have my sounds turned down so I can still hear vent when I am tanking, but I find sounds help me know what is going on.

Yeah, there are some annoying sounds/animations from pets and what not that I've had to ask people to dismiss but I would hope anyone who may be *disabled* by in-game sounds would, you know, turn off their sound or reduce the volume.
benebarba

Postby bldavis » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:05 pm

Kelaan wrote:
Meloree wrote:In Edge, anyone who names that show on Fox with the kids who sing is instantly demoted to Last Mate.

My ex-guildmaster's main character's name was Glee. She named it before the show was conceived.

lol the funny thing is my main is Gleagh...but is refered to as Glee

and that was created over 2 1/2 yrs ago, about 1 1/2 yrs before i heard about the show

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby bldavis » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:07 pm

Shoju wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:
Man every so often someone comes out against ingame sound and I really don't get it. I feel crippled when I try to play this game with sound off.

100% agree.

/sign

there is also a reason i carry trainwreckers on my toons pretty much all the time

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby bldavis » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:13 pm

Arkesh wrote:
Worldie wrote:I only faced one stupid rule in the past, and it was actually a friend of mine to experience it

I've always been on the fence when it comes to trialists getting loot or not. I guess it really boils down to how thorough your checks are before you trial someone. Although if you've got a member > trial loot rule I supose you have your bases covered as they're not gonna wander off through choice or force with stuff Mr Member needs.

Regardless whilst on trial I don't usually roll/bid/danceoff for loot even if it's going to offspec (if it's being DEed then I might, but I don't think I've been in that situation) just in case I do something that causes me to fail the trial so noone can be pissed I got something over them.

if its going to DE wtf is wrong with giving it to someone that could use it and very well could be part of your raiding team?

if they are a total ass...i would be an ass and make sure it got DEed in front of them and end the trial then

but i agree with the member>trial loot, that is how it should be
member is a member for a reason, the trial is a possible member in the future, but not there yet
if someone needs it, guildies get priority esp for MS

for OS gear...i think it would depend on the trial's attitude and how well they were performing
if it looked good and was something no one needed for MS, and the trial could use by all means give it to them
if they are asses, f...uh screw um
(yay for self censorship!)

bldavis

Postby Amirya » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:15 pm

Things I've had people tell me were stupid:

In BC, I made it mandatory that if you were going to raid, you were going to have 375 first aid, and come to raid with at least a stack of Heavy Netherweave Bandages. This applied to DPS. And tanks. And even healers. This came about after hearing far too many of the following exchanges in raids:

"So, what killed you?"

"I didn't get any heals!"

"What were you standing in?"

"Fire/void zone/poison cloud/the vacuum that is my own brain."

"Healthstone?"

"Used."

"Bandages? ....hello? ...hey! You!"

".....my first aid is at 80. THE HEALERS LET ME DIE!"

I dropped it for Wrath, healing was stupid easy, and frankly, the Heavy Frostweave Bandage book being a random instance/world drop really annoyed the hell out of me.

Train sets annoy me to no end. Fortunately, it annoys other guildies who purchased the trainwrecker just for raids. And since Li'l XT is a built in trainwrecker, those things are blasted immediately.

I also tend to enforce a "minimal chatter on Vent" rule during raids. Again, originated in BC, because people wouldn't shut the hell up about their child/pet/significant other/parent/blow up doll on boss fights, and we had some wipes due to that. "Guys, stfu. <person who is getting assraped by the mob they managed to miraculously asspull> has something to tell us."

This was especially fun in ICC when boomkins would use Starfall in the first full trash room just past the entrance, when everyone thought it would be fun to skip the middle/other side.

For the one guild Amirya was in, prior to moving her to PK, it was an RP guild. Everyone was required to wear either the guild tabard, or the Scarlet Crusade tabard (and you would not believe the bad luck I had with the latter, even with the GM and his girlfriend accompanying me when I was lower level). That's about as weird as it got.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:19 pm

Bandages? Yeah, I can't get with you on that one. I could possibly see DPS using them on rare occasions, but not tanks and healers. The fact that they were channeled and healed for small amounts slowly made them not worth the expenditure that could go to more useful things like pots/flasks etc.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:22 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Bandages? Yeah, I can't get with you on that one. I could possibly see DPS using them on rare occasions, but not tanks and healers. The fact that they were channeled and healed for small amounts slowly made them not worth the expenditure that could got to more useful things like pots/flasks etc.

The best thing they were ever used for, in my eyes, was that goddamn bird phase on Zul'jin in the original Zul'Aman.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Fridmarr » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:24 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
Fridmarr wrote:Bandages? Yeah, I can't get with you on that one. I could possibly see DPS using them on rare occasions, but not tanks and healers. The fact that they were channeled and healed for small amounts slowly made them not worth the expenditure that could got to more useful things like pots/flasks etc.

The best thing they were ever used for, in my eyes, was that goddamn bird phase on Zul'jin in the original Zul'Aman.

And even that was minimal given their CD, the requirement to move, and the need to burn the boss. I mean it surely never hurt to have them, but I wouldn't consider making them a requirement.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Gerunna » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:25 pm

Nikachelle wrote:

On Chimaeron every time we collapse when the Bile-o-Tron breaks down, all dps are expected to bandage to help out the healers.
ImageImage
Gerunna

Postby Meloree » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:30 pm

Amirya wrote:In BC, I made it mandatory that if you were going to raid, you were going to have 375 first aid, and come to raid with at least a stack of Heavy Netherweave Bandages. This applied to DPS. And tanks. And even healers. This came about after hearing far too many of the following exchanges in raids:

That's not wierd or stupid, that's just good practice. The opportunity to use it might be rare, but it's a lot better than not having them when you need them.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:38 pm

Fridmarr wrote:Bandages? Yeah, I can't get with you on that one. I could possibly see DPS using them on rare occasions, but not tanks and healers. The fact that they were channeled and healed for small amounts slowly made them not worth the expenditure that could go to more useful things like pots/flasks etc.

Back in the old 40 man raiding days they were clutch for DPS
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby fafhrd » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:45 pm

I always have them around, but they healed for insignificant amounts in Wrath when the raid damage model was "almost kill everyone, heal them back to full before we almost kill them again".

They're a bit better now, but still not all that much health, and many fights still have raidwide damage pulsing often enough to stop you getting a full bandage off.

I use them on stuff like Chim/Maloriak/Magmaw if we've stopped dps to wait for a particular time to push a phase but generally I've been healed to full by someone before the bandage cast is half done. The fights where I'm actually dying to taking raid damage aren't ones where I'd be able to survive by bandaging, mostly because it's continuous damage that prevents being bandaged.
Last edited by fafhrd on Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
1/1 Lore pre-nerf.
fafhrd

PreviousNext

Return to General