Weirdest Guild Rules You've Ever Heard Of

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Weirdest Guild Rules You've Ever Heard Of

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:12 am

Arkesh wrote:The weirdest one I've come across in guilds I've been in has to be "No non-combat pets or avatar changing effects in raids". Supposedly these two were introduced in Vanilla because healers ended up clicking on them instead of the players which i just find really strange in a world of raid frames - I didn't start playing until late tbc however. After a year of our melée using DBS I removed these in a cata revamp of the Charter.

Actually, I can kind of understand that one. When I heal, I'm used to looking at someone's portrait on my screen. Yes, I use Grid too, but it's very disorienting to think you're healing a Draenei and then all of a sudden see a Blood Elf. It's made me double check to see if I was healing the right person. Not overly detrimental in a 5man group, but if it were end game raiding and I had a split second indecision, it might've made a difference.

And regarding non-combat pets... My best example is that we were trying out a priest... on KT in Naxx 10. And I guess he was using mouseovers or something, but there was a totem right beside the iceblocked person. Well... let's just say that only the totem survived. haha (TBH, was more hilarious that anything else, but I can understand poor targetting with mouseovers.)
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:14 am

Passionario wrote:"No matter what your time zone is, if the <Guild Leader> is online, it's morning. If she's not, it's evening. No exceptions."

LOL! What!? haha
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:35 am

After a dispute about what to call Valiona breath directions, I declared we would use the following standardized vent calls:

Fish = Breath is in the North
Goat = South
Bisecting = Middle

We also had terms for east/west for another boss, but I can't remember them anymore. For some reason, soon afterwards there was no longer any argument about using cardinal directions.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Meloree » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:50 am

In Edge, anyone who names that show on Fox with the kids who sing is instantly demoted to Last Mate.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:54 am

Meloree wrote:In Edge, anyone who names that show on Fox with the kids who sing is instantly demoted to Last Mate.

I dunno, I was amused when they did a rendition of Friday. It was far better than the original, at any rate.

I used to write the rules for my old guild, so we didn't have many weird ones. As you can imagine, I was fairly methodical about that sort of thing. I did have a catch-all rule that said "Don't be a dick," which I did have to use on occasion.

My new guild doesn't really have rules, as far as I'm aware.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Cogglamp » Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:58 am

Meloree wrote:In Edge, anyone who names that show on Fox with the kids who sing is instantly demoted to Last Mate.

Isn't that the entire Fox lineup at this point?
Cogglamp

Postby Meloree » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:06 am

theckhd wrote:

I dunno, I was amused when they did a rendition of Friday. It was far better than the original, at any rate.

That comment would also be worthy of demotion.

Cogglamp wrote:Isn't that the entire Fox lineup at this point?

There's no singing on House, IIRC.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Cogglamp » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:20 am

Meloree wrote:

Wasn't there some singing in some dreams this past season? My memory is fading...
Cogglamp

Postby Shoju » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:51 am

Meloree wrote:
theckhd wrote:

That comment would also be worthy of demotion.

You forgot about the weird Cuddy House thing where he was in her dreams signing and dancing. Oh yes. There is Often times singing and dancing on House. Especially when he was drunk and at a piano / guitar a few years ago.
Shoju

Postby Aerron » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:11 am

Our guild has had one (generally unspoken) rule from the beginning that seems weird to some people. We never post about our progression kills on our realm forums or in trade/general chat. We don't list ourselves in the server progression threads, and have even actively asked to have ourselves removed when some third party has taken the initiative to add us on there.

People always ask us if this hurts our recruitment, but the truth is we're never very short on applicants.

We just proactively made the decision early on that we didn't want to get dragged into the morass of guild dramas that seemed to afflict our server. Probably the best decision we've ever made.
Aerron

Postby Shathus » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:11 am

Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Blackharon » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:28 am

My former guild had the rule that /spit emote resulted in removal from the guild.
The Cat's out of the bag!
Pickpawcket for iPhone and iPad
http://www.pickpawcket.com
Blackharon

Postby Thornir » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:54 am

I was in a guild where placing a train during a raid at any time resulted in a /gkick at the very moment. It made sense in the fact that one of our regulars was an older lady, who would get such an earsplitting migraine that she couldn't continue.
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby Malkieri » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:55 am

My previous guild had a rule for officers that stated they should be sociable and friendly in gchat. This included having to respond to the hellos and goodbyes of other members logging in or out, as well as having to say hello when you (the officer) logged in and goodbye when you logged out. They were fairly strict on it too - there were officers who were demoted etc for not following this rule.

I always thought it was a really nice rule, although it did strike me odd that it had to be enforced via offical guild policy...
Last edited by Malkieri on Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malkieri

Postby benebarba » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:55 am

Thornir wrote:I was in a guild where placing a train during a raid at any time resulted in a /gkick at the very moment. It made sense in the fact that one of our regulars was an older lady, who would get such an earsplitting migraine that she couldn't continue.

wow. That seems a bit... extreme.
benebarba

PreviousNext

Return to General