Remove Advertisements

Considering a Resume Writing Service?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Considering a Resume Writing Service?

Postby Shyrtandros » Fri May 20, 2011 8:32 am

So... this morning i've been contemplating using a Resume Writing Service..

I've never been satisfied with my resume and 2 of the managers in my building agree that my resume isn't to their likings, my resume isn't trash by any means (hell it got me a job and helped me land a promotion) but going up another I think is going to require a bit more...

Has anyone ever used a Resume Writing Service before, or know the results of someone who used them?
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Re: Considering a Resume Writing Service?

Postby cerwillis » Fri May 20, 2011 10:30 am

I can't see how some service is going to sell you better than you can sell yourself, but YMMV, I guess. I have a few rules that I use when writing a resume:

-Use a template. There are many on the web.
-Don't use colors, images or photos, unless you are a designer or have a royal family crest. Professional paper is acceptable.
-Keep it on one page (plus references on another). There are exceptions to this, but not many.
-Don't repeat yourself, ever. Delete anything that is doubletalk. This is very important and will help you to fit on one page.
-Use "action words" when describing your duties at previous jobs.
-Don't leave anything out! With some exceptions (full time raider), make sure to include volunteer work, school projects, etc if you think they are relevant.

I think with a little time spent, you will have a better result doing it yourself. Good Luck!
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Cogglamp » Fri May 20, 2011 10:57 am

Save your money.

You'd be better served trying to find a mentor in the field/position that you're looking to get into and try to understand how they got there and what they look for in people.

You should think about tailoring your resume to the job you're applying to. I currently have about 10-15 iterations of my resume depending on the job opening. There is no "one size fits all".

Head hunters and HR people will literally search for certain words in your resume in order to pass an initial screening. If you can find out what those words are, you're a step a head of everyone else. You can usually glean this information from the job postings or by talking with people within that group. It's certainly not hard to get people to talk about themselves especially when you're saying "you're great, how did you get to have a job like this?"

Resumes obviously are a necessity, but if you're actually going to spend money, you should spend it the dues to the local chapter of your trade group or association where you can meet people with the jobs that you want.

Networking>>>>>>resumes.
Cogglamp

Postby Rachmaninoff » Fri May 20, 2011 12:58 pm

I've had to completely redo my resume recently... I agree with everything that has been said, I would just avoid paying someone else do write something about you
Rachmaninoff

Postby lythac » Fri May 20, 2011 1:21 pm

Use a plain easy to read font.

I suspect this won't apply to you as it is for progressing internally (and I don't think you will have one anyway) but a non-sensible (yourmum@hotmail.com) e-mail address is a turn off as is a nonsensical one (y2m886@hotmail.com).
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri May 20, 2011 3:50 pm

Also, tailor the resume for the position, if you're applying for something. A resume for a technical position will differ from a resume for a management position. Having a standard basic CV that you expand upon when submitting it is a good idea, but I'd recommend against using a single resume for everything.

Cause and effect are good, especially with numbers (e.g., I designed and implemented X which enabled Y which made M monies).

But yes, networking > all.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Crimsonheart » Fri May 20, 2011 5:10 pm

HR reps can see when someone isnt personally writing a resume and It will get trashed. Ive been applying to jobs for 17months now (graduated december 2009) tailor your resume (if fresh grad mainly with courses taken) toward the position). Make sure to list GPA if it is over like 3.2, otherwise leave it out. Have a general resume that you can edit (and one for positions that don't really spell out what they want).
Crimsonheart

Return to General