Questions for those that play Rift

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Questions for those that play Rift

Postby Aerron » Fri May 20, 2011 9:21 am

bldavis wrote:no..i must not get the trial again!
no matter how much i want to play a shaman/druid/justicar again!

Steam has the game on sale for $30
Aerron

Postby bldavis » Fri May 20, 2011 9:25 am

Aerron wrote:

:evil:

why do you tell me stuff like that?
i dont have time for wow as it is...i dont need another game!

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Aerron » Fri May 20, 2011 9:31 am

bldavis wrote:
Aerron wrote:

:evil:

why do you tell me stuff like that?
i dont have time for wow as it is...i dont need another game!

Misery loves company. Welcome to the boat, here's your paddle. :P
Aerron

Postby bldavis » Fri May 20, 2011 10:23 am

dammit....ill be downloading rift when i get home and making a warrior and a cleric...

anyone have suggestions as to faction/race/server?

Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Aerron » Fri May 20, 2011 11:22 am

The Defiant starting story is pretty sweet. One of the better I've seen in an MMO. Kind of a mix between Terminator and "Days of Futures Past".

As for servers, Millrush is pretty good, Guardian side. Dunno how Defs are doing there. My defiant toons are on another server whose name is escaping me atm.

Guardian backstory is okay. I liked it, my wife thought it was meh.

Races all seem pretty equivalent, although the High Elves get a crazy winged ability that lets them traverse large chasms and the like. Think Heroic Leap, if it actually worked.
Aerron

Postby bldavis » Fri May 20, 2011 11:34 am

i played mostly defiants in the beta so i will prob be going with them again.
if i do make gaurdians ill check out millrush

bldavis

Postby Punkss2 » Sat May 21, 2011 12:39 am

Do you want to lvl on a PVP or PVE server? I leveled Defiant on Keenblade (PVE) and Guardian on Deepstrike (PVP). While there was griefing on the PVP server it really wasnt too bad to level takin the same time for both.

The racials are useless (not useable in combat or PVP).

Guardian:
Elf: Leap ability
Mathosian: Sprint
Dwarf: Reduced falling damage

Defiant:
Kelari: Shapeshift into a fox (makes you invisible)
Eth: Sprint
Bahni: Leap ability
Thinking of starting WOW again....
Punkss2

Postby bldavis » Sat May 21, 2011 3:25 pm

O.O
i hadnt read this thread since yesterday at school, dl rift last night and made 2 defiants on keenblade

mostly cause i was on that server in the beta lol
and i plan on re-rolling my Kelari rogue into a eth, that sprint is was better then losing my pet as a fox

oh and toons so far:
lvl 10 Eth cleric (sham/just/druid)
lvl 8 Kelari (soon to be Eth) Rogue (MM,Ranger,Sab) ....omfg throwing bombs on someone and hitting dcetonate is SO FUN!
PLS TELL ME I GET TO PVP IN THE TRIAL!!!!!!

bldavis

Postby Kelaan » Mon May 23, 2011 12:24 pm

How does one choose guardian vs defiant? Are they substantially different visually or lore-wise such that one is seen as "good" and one as "bad"? Wow and Aion seemed to have that for one of their factions.
Kelaan

Postby sahiel » Mon May 23, 2011 12:44 pm

Kelaan wrote:How does one choose guardian vs defiant? Are they substantially different visually or lore-wise such that one is seen as "good" and one as "bad"? Wow and Aion seemed to have that for one of their factions.

Well... history wise both factions are fighting against Regulos, the Aspect of Death, but parts of both factions have also helped him in the past and thus each sees the other as his allies and wants to wipe them out pretty much. So technically, both sides are 'good guys', good religious extremists on one hand and good ruthless technocrats on the other hand but there is no cooperation between them, only war.

Visually each faction has their own 3 races to pick from, different to the others, both have a human type and an elven type, Guardians have dwarfs as their 3rd, whilst Defiants have Bahmi (larger than any other race).
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Mon May 23, 2011 1:56 pm

basically you are choosing between a gnome/goblin technology oriented faction or a pure paladin/priest light oriented faction

one hand you have the Defiants that use purely technology to res their ascended
on the other you have the Guardians that were rezzed by angels

comparing it to the WoW factions, i would say Defiants = Horde and Guardians = Alliance

watching both factions starting cinematics, each blames the other

Guardians turned away the king who was trying to summon Regulos, and he turned to the Defiants (prob a rogue offshoot of them) so Defiants are bad guys

Defiants were working to stop teh summoning, but the Guardians came in and smashed all their machines, so the Guardians are the bad guys

so ya....go with the one you prefer
oh and the mounts are different
Guardians get angry squirrels (big ass squirrels but squirrels still)
Defiants get construct horses (yes i mean robot mounts...think mechanostriders just MUCH cooler)

bldavis

Postby Kelaan » Mon May 23, 2011 3:31 pm

sahiel wrote:good religious extremists on one hand and good ruthless technocrats on the other hand but there is no cooperation between them, only Waaaaaaaaaaaaagh!.

(Sorry, couldn't resist. :D)

Sounds like I'd go defiant, then, as the ruthless technocrat sounds fun... but to be honest I doubt I can justify subscribing for this right now. :( Maybe later in the year. Hope you guys have fun!
Kelaan

Postby bldavis » Mon May 23, 2011 4:50 pm

well get the trial and get a feel for the playstyle!
plus it helps wow burnout
(hell i played rift all weekend and actually wanted to play wow again last night....perfect remedy!)

bldavis

Postby lythac » Mon May 23, 2011 4:55 pm

bldavis wrote:well get the trial and get a feel for the playstyle!
plus it helps wow burnout
(hell i played rift all weekend and actually wanted to play wow again last night....perfect remedy!)

I prefer an offline game for avoiding wow burnout. And a turn based game at that.

Civ 5.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Aerron » Tue May 24, 2011 8:28 am

bldavis wrote:Guardians turned away the king who was trying to summon Regulos, and he turned to the Defiants (prob a rogue offshoot of them) so Defiants are bad guys

Defiants were working to stop teh summoning, but the Guardians came in and smashed all their machines, so the Guardians are the bad guys

The way I understood it, and I could be off, was that the Defiants got suckered by the Guardian's king into giving him the technomagic.

The Technomagic was frowned upon in Guardian society and even sometimes outright banned. The King came to the Defiants with a "hey, I'm going to ease up on you now that I'm King. Show me how this stuff works" story and, being thrilled at the idea of finally getting some credit, the Defiants bought it.

Only afterwards they realized they f'ed up and tried to stop him. But by then, the Guardians couldn't tell friend from foe and were busy slinging around the blame.

I would highly recommend playing through the Defiant starting story. Without giving too much away, it's a Terminator meets Crisis on Infinite Earths meets Days of Future Past. Best starting story I've seen in an MMO. The Guardian one is also not bad.

If any of you pick it up and roll on Millrush, hit me up on Arryn. I'll craft you some starter stuff if you're a Warrior or Cleric.
Aerron

PreviousNext

Return to General