Paladin Tier 12

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Paladin Tier 12

Postby theckhd » Fri May 13, 2011 5:04 am

I'm torn. On the one hand, I agree with Treck. I'd rather have a stronger cooldown when I need it than a longer cooldown. On the other hand, having a longer cooldown is sometimes nice as well. The T11 set bonus was very nice, but it had the benefit of being an incredibly strong cooldown already. I'm not sure having a longer cooldown is as desirable when it's weak.

I have to look over the itemization again, but if there are well-itemized off-set pieces available in slots where our tier is poorly itemized, I could definitely see skipping the 4-piece. Or at least only swapping it in for bosses which have gimmicky mechanics that reward cooldown chaining (Chim phase 3?).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Chicken » Fri May 13, 2011 5:21 am

The new version mostly makes me think of semi-gimmicky fun with the Glyph of Divine Protection. If the 12% parry is enough to send you into the "Every hit is avoided or blocked" territory anyway. You could do things like having DP glyphed for Nefarian's Electrocute, then using a /cancelaura to change it to an effective 40% physical damage reduction after the Electrocute has hit.

I suspect the change was mostly aimed at the Death Knight version and then just equalized to all the other tanking classes though. They might have foreseen issues with making Dancing Rune Weapon give 35% parry chance as the four-piece bonus would end up doing; I'm not sure what levels of avoidance are normal for Death Knights these days, but I do know that that's a ton of avoidance and avoidance gets better the more you have of it, and I'd assume that since this is a straight percentage benefit that there are no diminishing returns.
Chicken

Postby Treck » Fri May 13, 2011 6:12 am

Make the glyphed Divine Protection give the avoidance right away, problem solved.

12% parry is a pretty weak CD, remember ICC? we had the exact same there, many people skipped the setbonus, even tho the differance between 4set or not was pretty much 30sta.
And in ICC you had no reason not to use divine plea pretty much on CD, theres few fights i use divine protection regulary on CD, and when it is its always for magic damage anyway.
What i mean with this is while having DP+parry to reduce the dmg intake in a way making you easier to heal is nice and all, but in a 25man raiding situation you have so much healing incoming thats its ofthen not nessecary, you use it to survive, not to just reduce the dmg income a bit.

Its going to be one of those "well its better than nothing" things to have.
And parry is not a predictable stat, and with Fireland gear, were most likely going to be block capped without to much trouble, making more avoidance nice, but if it would have been a block anyway, your still not dying.

All in all, this depends on how strong offset pieces are, if its going to be a socket worth of differance, obviously 4set is prefered, your going to take less dmg after the time you wanted dmg reduction, so ofc its nice to have, just not all that usefull. And i dont like it when blizzard designs stuff that makes it pretty hard or close to impossible to "optimize", thats my biggest issue with this change.
The times this effect is going to be perfectly timed and optimized, is going to be one in a million, making it hard min/maxing with this bonus.
Treck

Postby Shoju » Fri May 13, 2011 7:06 am

I'm torn. For 60 rp, I get

12 seconds of +20% parry, AND increased threat, and then X seconds of +15% parry.

How long will the increased Parry last becomes the big question. the 12 seconds that it was going to last when it synced with DRW? that would be 24 seconds out of 90 that I would have 32 - 38% chance to parry. Plus 5% miss chance, Plus 14-15% dodge chance. That is really nice CTC for me.

On the other hand, That would play hell on my Death Strike / blood shields, and could end up leaving me wipe open to get CREAMED when the CD wears off.
Shoju

Postby Loras » Fri May 13, 2011 7:12 am

To be honest, I'd avice seeing the Firelands encounters first and then discuss our set bonus. You never know what it'll be like so it might be worth more than we think :)
Loras

Postby fuzzygeek » Fri May 13, 2011 8:25 am

The 4pc bonus occurring after an ability runs out makes it an afterthought -- especially since it's a % parry (and not, say, you WILL parry the next 3 attacks, or something actually dependable, like your GAnK WILL last more time).

Neat if you get it, but probably not worth taking the token over someone else up front.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Fri May 13, 2011 10:11 am

And the Warlock tier 12 preview is out, and they most certainly have plate helm and shoulders. Sorry about the cloth helm you have paladins...

Oh, and all hail the Spiderman set.

Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Treck » Fri May 13, 2011 11:06 am

I think the paladin head is amazing.
Shoulders leave some to be desired, but i guess they are fine.
Treck

Postby Orthien » Fri May 13, 2011 5:06 pm

Treck wrote:I think the paladin head is amazing.
Shoulders leave some to be desired, but i guess they are fine.

I agree personally its the chest that I dislike far more than any other piece of the tier.
Orthien

Postby Treck » Fri May 13, 2011 6:47 pm

I also think the kilt makes it wierd.
It worked with the judgement set, but that was cuz of it still looked like it was plate.
This kilt looks like any cloth robe tbh.
And yeh the chest looks wierd, almost like its unfinished, but i dont think thats the case.
Treck

Postby Orthien » Sat May 14, 2011 3:56 pm

Also if you have not seen it yet check out the Java 3D model on WoWhead, those diamonds on the shoulders are like an incense burner or something similar as smoke raises from the periodically.
Orthien

Postby bldavis » Sat May 14, 2011 6:04 pm

who knows, maybe one of the design team leads plays a holy pally and he wanted the tier to actually look like healer gear

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Talima » Thu May 19, 2011 3:48 am

I just wish they'd go back to regular belts instead of the stupid looking girdles.
Talima 85 BE Prot/Ret Dalaran
Talima

Postby Hrobertgar » Thu May 19, 2011 6:39 am

I just wish they'd go back to regular belts instead of the stupid looking girdles.

Maybe they hired a Texan to draw the belts and he got buckle envy? :lol:
Never Pug a random Troll Heroic, always wait for the guild group.

Hrobearina - 85 Healer - space goat
Hrobertgar - 85 Tank - human
Hrobernia - 85 Arcane - human
Hrobanka - 85 BM - elf
Hrobertgar

Postby Raeli » Fri May 20, 2011 5:07 am

This Tier looks so cool, I'm sorry but In red it is really really cool. Also, the belt isn't huge either.

It's clearly the best piece of art that Blizzard has produced ever!

The Helm and Shoulders .. well and the chest... the pants OR kilt too, damn, the whole thing is just so cool. I'm like a giddy little kid at Christmas. I'm so lame :oops:

The Mask reminds me so much of T2, the only really decent helm we've seen in ages, it's like a hood and then a Plate Face Mask, and it's faceless. So you're like some unknown faceless holy warrior of righteous vengeance and general awesomeness!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtaA1s87iTQ
Raeli

PreviousNext

Return to General