pre-pot with a count down for bosses?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: pre-pot with a count down for bosses?

Postby warden » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:43 am

This goes back to why I was talking about extremely limited situations. As someone who also plays mainspec ret, the question of when to burn that first set of CDs, I agree, is important. Crunch the numbers though Worldie, and I think your method is actually costing you dps, unless that 15-20 seconds that you're not waiting for CDs is making the difference between (n) and (n+1) full sets of CDs over the course of the fight.

Remember, ret has a long ramp up time. If you're burning the first set of CDs literally on the pull, you're missing key points of your spin up. You'll waste an AW GCD on judgement running in (1.5s) to get JOTP up, censure won't be stacked, and the boss won't have a full set of debuffs on it. Furthermore, you'll have to put up inq (another 1.5s GCD) during AW instead of pushing close to another TV, and possibly waste a DP proc on it if you're unlucky with timing. I'll assume you have your 4pc to allow 1hp Inq refresh on the first CS(can't see the armory from work, but this is an important distinction).

Consider pushing back that first set of CDs for up to 30 seconds, providing that won't prevent you from getting another set in (not sure how long your normal kills are). You'll probably gain more net dps from your CDs that way, and it will also allow you to pre-pot, unless you're blowing hero in the first minute of the fight and want to save that pot CD for stacking with an early hero. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.

"Don't facepalm at me... Ret paladins don't facepalm each other. Its against the code!" -Anafielle
warden
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:56 am

Gonna try out what you say if I actually manage to find a guild |:
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Fetzie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:56 am

Now that censure stacks up from pretty much everything the rampup is no-where near as bad as it was in wrath when you have about 15 seconds before you even started to think about using a cooldown.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Worldie » Fri Apr 22, 2011 6:57 am

Well in the case of many rets who use the valor trinket, the rampup time includes stacking up the STR buff.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Passionario » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:49 am

Rhiannon wrote:Damage multipliers/crit bonuses used to be "roll-able" in wrath, ie refreshes via mechanics such as mind flay refreshing SW:P would not update the SW:P's multiplier/crit chance so if you applied a SW:P with tricks, wild magic and then never applied it manually again for the rest of the fight, only refreshing it via mind flay, it would keep those multipliers for the entire fight. That was changed in 4.0 and is probably what you're thinking of.

Easy enough to test: I apply corruption to a dummy, it ticks for 1981. Volcano, power torrent and lightweave proc, it stills ticks for 1981. I re-apply corruption, it ticks for 2671. Volcano, power torrent and lightweave fall off, corruption still ticks for 2671 until it expires.

Precisely.

For DoT classes/specs, promptly recasting your DoTs when you gain a major buff (so that they receive its benefits) and then recasting them as close to its end as possible (so that they retain its effect for 15-24 seconds more) is one of the major skills that separates great players from good ones.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Chasey » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:09 am

Some great info in this thread, I just don't understand why someone wouldn't do a countdown....its takes no effort. :roll:
Chasey

Postby PsiVen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:08 am

I always call when I'm about to pull; for most bosses this is equivalent to a countdown as it takes a few seconds for me to run in. If you're consistent and run with the same people, they will quickly learn the timing they need for pre-potting. In the case of bosses where you stand right in front of them and pull at a moment's notice, I always countdown which should allow anyone to figure out the timing to pre-pot.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby djlar » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:27 am

I always prepot as DPS, specially with rogue or hunter, not only it helps my DPS but generates more threat to the tank, I've done it since those DPS demanding fights, like the first week of ICC on Saurfang, in those times with that gear you could easily wipe due to marks, same as Festergut when it came out.

(heck we are STILL wiping on Maloriak due to enrage timer)
djlar

Postby sherck » Mon Apr 25, 2011 10:56 am

djlar wrote:(heck we are STILL wiping on Maloriak due to enrage timer)

Maloriak has an enrage timer? :shock:

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Apr 25, 2011 11:18 am

sherck wrote:

Cheers,

6 minutes.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby RedAces » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:21 pm

hey,
Nikachelle wrote:
sherck wrote:

Cheers,

6 minutes.

7 minutes nonheroic and 12 minutes heroic.

Bye, RedAces.
RedAces

Postby Teranoid » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:44 pm

sherck wrote:

Cheers,

Yeah we never noticed either considering the fact we end up most times having to let an entire remedy go through before pushing P2. Its still pretty funny to have to purposely ignore a buff so we don't basically ruin ourselves.
Teranoid

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Apr 25, 2011 12:52 pm

RedAces wrote:hey,
Nikachelle wrote:
sherck wrote:

Cheers,

6 minutes.

Bye, RedAces.

Wowpedia lied to me!
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby RedAces » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:16 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
RedAces wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:6 minutes.

Wowpedia lied to me!

:D
At launch it was 6 mins @10m and 7mins @25m, this was hotfixed to be the same. ^^

Bye, RedAces.
RedAces

Postby Shathus » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:37 pm

RedAces wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Wowpedia lied to me!

:D
At launch it was 6 mins @10m and 7mins @25m, this was hotfixed to be the same. ^^

Bye, RedAces.

I think our first Maloriak attempts were the week of the hotfix, and I had read about it, but wasn't sure if it had actually gone live yet. DBM of course hadn't been updated yet either, so I remember us being in p2 and getting him down, but the DBM timer saying he was about to enrage in like 5 seconds and just saying on vent "alright, just keep going, we're either all going to die horribly... or we have another minute"
Shathus
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General