Game of Thrones

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Aerron » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:27 am

Levantine wrote:Dany and Tyrion have been my favs in the book and by the looks of it they're more than shaping up to continue the tradition. I'm not sure I even like any of the Starks except Arya, they're all noble to the point of being utterly predictable for their enemies.

Martin's characters all have some pretty dynamic elements. Characters you absolutely hate in one book can surprise you in another.

I know I'm in the minority, but I just don't like Arya. It's like Martin was saying "oh, she's this little wolf girl, who's a tomboy outcast and she's a ***** (spoilers)and a ********(spoilers) and a ******(yep here too)! You're going to LOVE her!" ... except that no, no I don't. Maybe if he didn't cram her down my throat so much.
Aerron

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:40 am

Aerron wrote:I know I'm in the minority, but I just don't like Arya. It's like Martin was saying "oh, she's this little wolf girl, who's a tomboy outcast and she's a ***** (spoilers)and a ********(spoilers) and a ******(yep here too)! You're going to LOVE her!" ... except that no, no I don't. Maybe if he didn't cram her down my throat so much.

Well I mean she's a main character. She's only being shoved down your throat as much as any other main character.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Aerron » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:00 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Aerron wrote:I know I'm in the minority, but I just don't like Arya. It's like Martin was saying "oh, she's this little wolf girl, who's a tomboy outcast and she's a ***** (spoilers)and a ********(spoilers) and a ******(yep here too)! You're going to LOVE her!" ... except that no, no I don't. Maybe if he didn't cram her down my throat so much.

Well I mean she's a main character. She's only being shoved down your throat as much as any other main character.

I'm not really refering to her exposure time as opposed to any other main PoV. I'm more getting at the fact that she's just sort of set up from the get go to be a "fan favorite" and her Plot Armor is pretty thick.

Jon Snow is another in that category, but I still enjoy his character because he's actually likable. I enjoy his chapters, whereas with Arya it's more "gotta read through this crap to get to the next one." But I suspect everyone has their own characters they feel this way about.
Aerron

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:11 am

You want unlikeable? Try Sansa.

Everything that has happened to the Stark family can be directly, or indirectly, traced back to her -- this is more prevalent in the book of course and, yeah, she gets better in book 4 but still pisses me off to no end.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Aerron » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:23 am

Klaudandus wrote:You want unlikeable? Try Sansa.

Everything that has happened to the Stark family can be directly, or indirectly, traced back to her -- this is more prevalent in the book of course and, yeah, she gets better in book 4 but still pisses me off to no end.

Granted, but she fucks up because she's a 12 year old kid (a fact most ppl seem to forget) who's been pretty sheltered her whole life and is consequentially pretty damn naive when we first meet her. Maybe if Ned had just sat her down and said "hey, that Cersei chick is a bitch" things would have turned out differently. Nothing she did was really malicious, other than in a pretty normal sibling rivalry way at certain points.

So she learns and grows. I didn't care for her much in Game of Thrones, but she's become more interesting since.
Aerron

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:30 am

in fact at the beginning of Game of Thrones, Sansa is 11

Of course she was subject to the age increasing that all the kiddies got in the tv series
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:33 am

I've just picked up the first book and intend to start reading it soon. One thing I'm concerned about is there doesn't seem to be any kind of resolution coming up in the tv series... please tell me the book does tie up loose ends! Invis read some nasty commentary from the author along the lines of it takes years for him to put out a book and he swore that if he died before he'd published the end of his storyline, he'd burn his notes so that nobody else could continue the storyline. Makes me a bit nervous about starting a book series that may never end.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:35 am

Nikachelle wrote:I've just picked up the first book and intend to start reading it soon. One thing I'm concerned about is there doesn't seem to be any kind of resolution coming up in the tv series... please tell me the book does tie up loose ends! Invis read some nasty commentary from the author along the lines of it takes years for him to put out a book and he swore that if he died before he'd published the end of his storyline, he'd burn his notes so that nobody else could continue the storyline. Makes me a bit nervous about starting a book series that may never end.

Yep, get nervous. Resolution? Ha! The great and mighty GRRM cares not for your worldly concepts of "resolution".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiSWbAr9 ... feature=iv
Sabindeus

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:52 am

*quickly returns the book*
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby cerwillis » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:59 am

He is also decidedly against Fan Fiction.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:03 am

He can suck it up when it comes to fan fiction. If he doesn't want fans straying and coming up with god knows what, he should hurry up and finish the series before kicking the bucket.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:09 am

He probably doesn't even have an ending. Just drags it on and on and on and on...

I mean... we're what... 9 episodes into the first season here? And I absolutely no faith that anything regarding the Whitewalkers is going to get resolved this season. And that annoys me.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:09 am

Nikachelle wrote:He probably doesn't even have an ending. Just drags it on and on and on and on...

I mean... we're what... 9 episodes into the first season here? And I absolutely no faith that anything regarding the Whitewalkers is going to get resolved this season. And that annoys me.

Hahaha, good one.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:14 am

:(

Let me guess, they're still not concluded by book four. Ugh.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Aerron » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:15 am

Nikachelle wrote:He probably doesn't even have an ending. Just drags it on and on and on and on...

Well, there's only 10 episodes in the first season. So you've got one left. Expect nothing to be resolved this season.

But it's a multi-volume epic storyline ... the "whitewalkers" (will always be The Others to me) are one of the over-arching menaces of the entire series. You're not going to see resolution about that until the very end of the series.
Aerron

PreviousNext

Return to General