Remove Advertisements

Game of Thrones

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Fenrìr » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:59 pm

Sanderson had a skeleton to work with and the ending was already wrote.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby cdan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:17 am

Fenrìr wrote:Sanderson had a skeleton to work with and the ending was already wrote.

...and still it was awful.
cdan

Postby Fenrìr » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:30 am

I agree the ending was awful and really confusing; but you can't really blame Sanderson for that when it was already wrote. He just had to patch it up and put it out, not completely bridge the gap.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Paxen » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:18 am

Sanderson is far from a hack, his own books are very good.

The problem is that Jordan wasted 10 years and five books threading water, and the notes for the "final book" were so massive that it took Sanderson 3 books to get it to the end. And they were still more action packed than any of the WoT books that came before them.
Paxen

Postby cdan » Thu Jun 13, 2013 1:35 am

Paxen wrote:Sanderson is far from a hack, his own books are very good.

The problem is that Jordan wasted 10 years and five books threading water, and the notes for the "final book" were so massive that it took Sanderson 3 books to get it to the end. And they were still more action packed than any of the WoT books that came before them.

Have to disagree. I've read a few of Sanderson's books and they're poor. That's mostly where I got my opinion of him from. The Wheel of Time series was never going to be wrapped up neatly as Jordan created a monstrous mess, but the final trilogy still could have been far better than it was in the right hands.

Martin should have done it. He'd have had the whole lot dead within three chapters and Rand's father and mother would have turned out to actually have been Moiraine in some weird sex change / time travelling spell mix-up. Possibly.
cdan

Postby Fenrìr » Thu Jun 13, 2013 2:21 am

Personally I think GRRM would have been the wrong person as well. Suffering through the first half of the 2nd book was, to me, equivilant to suffering through Books 3-5 of Wheel of Time combined. I did not even finish book two of GRRM's work especially when there were several people who complained about books three and four being slow.

I almost feel like R.A. Salvatore would have been a better finisher (granted his new ones involving Drizzt aren't the same as it was before).
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:37 pm

Having finally just crossed into the second half of A Clash of Kings (after six or more very LONG months), I can only begin to dread reading the next books after hearing complaints about those being slower than book 2. Dear god.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby econ21 » Thu Jun 13, 2013 11:30 pm

Book 3 is not slow - it's the peak of the series and one of the most riveting reads I can recall (full of the stuff we are half way through on TV). It's book 4 (a Feast for Crows) that is the beast - I can't recall any plot development in that book and would be quite happy for the TV series to fast forward through it.
econ21

Postby cdan » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:18 am

Take away people's desire to read about certain people and impatience with other characters because of that and they'd probably enjoy book 4 a lot more.
cdan

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jun 14, 2013 12:22 am

The quality of the writing's high in all the books, but Sam, Brienne and Jaime's sections in book 4 don't really do much more than move characters around (and maybe provide some background on the political situation in the Seven Kingdoms at that point). Sansa's and the Dorne chapters are better.

I do think part of the reason book 4 didn't quite work is that even though he split the book off by character, he still held back some of those characters' chapters for book 5. Cersei's storyline cuts off too soon, for example.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Paxen » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:54 am

cdan wrote:Have to disagree. I've read a few of Sanderson's books and they're poor.

Can't say I can see where you're coming from, but to each his own.

The big flaw of Sanderson's writing is Mat in the final trilogy. He's just not Mat.
Paxen

Postby Klaudandus » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:33 am

KysenMurrin wrote:I do think part of the reason book 4 didn't quite work is that even though he split the book off by character, he still held back some of those characters' chapters for book 5. Cersei's storyline cuts off too soon, for example.

That's because Book 4 and Book 5 run concurrently for the most part. Book 4 could be surmised as what's going on in the main parts of Westeros, while Book 5 deals with what happens in the wall and on the free cities.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Jun 15, 2013 5:15 am

I know that. But halfway through book 5 he brings in the rest of book four's storylines. He put half of those stories into book 4, filled the rest of the book with Dorne and the Iron Islands, then put the other half into book 5.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:48 pm

Good news everyone! We've found our Red Viper of Dorne!
http://io9.com/game-of-thrones-has-cast ... -618296783
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Andurin » Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:34 am

From Dork Tower ^^

Andurin

PreviousNext

Return to General