Game of Thrones

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby cdan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:53 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:Book 6: The Winds of Winter.
Book 7: A Dream of Spring.

Oh fgs, that's not even out yet.

"Martin believes the two last volumes of the series will be big books of 1500+ manuscript pages each."

Jesus.

How old is this guy? He's going to croak before he finishes his story. And realistically, how is the TV series ever going to end? If it takes him another three years to get the sixth book out, and god only knows how many more years for the 7th (final?) one. The show is totally screwed.

Now you know how we feel.

Neil Gaiman disapproves this message.
cdan

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Winter, IIRC the white ravens get sent out from the Citadel - the established message to say that winter has officially started - in book 5.

Chunes wrote:To each their own of course.

To book 4's credit, I enjoyed Jaime's, Brienne's and Sansa's chapters for the most part.

If I was reading before bed though and the next chapter was another fucking cercei chapter, i'd put the book down and go to bed. She's just such a tiring character to read through.

I onyl really realised it on my last reread, but Sansa is one of GRRM's strongest characters. She's a naive girl who gets her illusions shattered, but she's actually very smart - she just hasn't learned it yet. Book 4 shows her starting to.

It is a shame Martin's taking the story so slowly, though, because even the good characters - like Jaime, Brienne, Sansa, Arya - don't feel like they've done much to justify the pages since book three. He really should've found a way to make the five year jump work.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Chunes » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:20 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:I onyl really realised it on my last reread, but Sansa is one of GRRM's strongest characters. She's a naive girl who gets her illusions shattered, but she's actually very smart - she just hasn't learned it yet. Book 4 shows her starting to.

It is a shame Martin's taking the story so slowly, though, because even the good characters - like Jaime, Brienne, Sansa, Arya - don't feel like they've done much to justify the pages since book three. He really should've found a way to make the five year jump work.

I agree about Sansa and I think there's a nice comparison to be made between how both she and Arya are having to grow up and survive. Arya just gets shit done. Sansa though, she has the capacity to get things done, but for most of the books she lacks the guile and political awareness (mostly due to being so naive early on) to execute. Fortunately I don't think that will always be the case.

I think it would really be ironic if Sansa, the golden child, actually morphs into a crafty bizzaro-world type cercei figure. Maybe not as blatantly evil, but just as crafty as a matriarch figure.

Or she could get killed in book six. Who the fuck knows...
Chunes

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:30 pm

I have the odd notion in my head that one day Sansa could find herself ordering Arya's execution. I think that's probably not likely, though. My story ideas just tend toward the cruelly ironic.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Chunes » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:43 pm

If GRRM ends arya after all the shit she endures, I'll fucking end him.
Chunes

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Chunes wrote:If GRRM ends arya after all the shit she endures, I'll fucking end him.

You sound like everyone over on Red Wedding Tears. Although without the capslock.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Chunes » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:57 pm

Yeah :<

I've made the fatal mistake of getting attached to one of the characters. Arya's just too much of a badass though to not get invested in.

Someone spoiled her character development for me before reading book 4 which made the entire thing drag on all that much longer since she's not really in it.

Suffice to say, I really need to get my hands on book 5 paperback.
Chunes

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:59 pm

Ew. Say no to paperback! Hardcover alllllllll the way!
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Chunes » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Hey, i'm right there with you, but my wife picked up the first few for me in paperback because she's cheap when it comes to buying books.

Now we're committed to the paperbacks because it looks weird to have the first 4 in paper, then the last one sitting there hardcover.

I told her "listen, I have a good job, you're in grad school which you're being paid to attend. I think we can afford some more hardcover in our lives."

So she compromises and buys trade paperback now.

:-/
Chunes

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:15 pm

Yeah, that's what annoys me about starting on a series that's halfway through:

The Erikson books there are more annoying, because the publisher didn't actually start releasing them in hardback at all until the last few books. And of course a few years in they'll rerelease the series with totally new covers that don't match the ones you started out buying.

Right now I'm gritting my teeth as I restrain myself from rushing out and buying hardcovers of Locke & Key, because I got the first 4 volumes in trade paperback.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:23 pm

The Anita Blake books were like that too... all softcover and then all of a sudden the publishing house upgraded them to hadrcover. Not that I read them anymore... they've all gone to smut.

As a note... always buy hardcovers online (like Amazon). They're about half the price (if not less) than what you would pay in stores. I go out of my way to buy hardcover - the only time I'll ever buy paperback, now, is at an airport.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:31 pm

Yeah, I think Amazon does tend to be a few pounds cheaper here, too. I try to avoid buying from Amazon too much these days, though (I will if it's a big difference), and the very few online alternatives aren't as cheap.

Aaand back to the latest episode of GoT: https://vine.co/v/b3XZMHmxzxh

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Paxen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:22 pm

Kindle all the way, baby. I actually have Dance with Dragons in hardcover, just to have all the books in print, but I've never read it. Too clunky.

And what's with all this "Sam doesn't have a point"? He's the only one in the Night's Watch that can be bothered to actually read up on stuff and figure out what they used to know. The Watch needs to relearn how they used to do things back when they faced supernatural threats the last time, and Sam is the one that can teach them.
Paxen

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:25 pm

I bought the GoT books in hardcover though... even though I only started reading them last year. They're usually available online without issue (hardcovers of older books, I mean).

Just to give an example on price differences... the printed price on the jacket of the first book of Game of Thrones, which I have in hardcover, is $37 and this is what I would've paid in store. The price (that I paid) on Amazon however? $25

And I actually found her video seriously annoying. I had to close it off going "nope, I don't want to know she's like that IRL. Nope nope nope."
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby lythac » Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:49 pm

Paxen wrote:And what's with all this "Sam doesn't have a point"? He's the only one in the Night's Watch that can be bothered to actually read up on stuff and figure out what they used to know. The Watch needs to relearn how they used to do things back when they faced supernatural threats the last time, and Sam is the one that can teach them.

Is Sam a wizard?
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

PreviousNext

Return to General