Game of Thrones

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, PsiVen, Sabindeus, Aergis

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Chunes » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:13 am

To each their own of course.

To book 4's credit, I enjoyed Jaime's, Brienne's and Sansa's chapters for the most part.

If I was reading before bed though and the next chapter was another fucking cercei chapter, i'd put the book down and go to bed. She's just such a tiring character to read through.
User avatar
Chunes
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:14 am

Chunes wrote:How are you guys dying reading book two? Just wait until book 4...

[snip]

Oh good.... something to look forward to. D:
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8400
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:31 am

Everytime Samwell comes on screen I want to hit the "skip" button. Please tell me there's a fucking point to him.
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3447
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Fetzie » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:33 am

fuzzygeek wrote:Everytime Samwell comes on screen I want to hit the "skip" button. Please tell me there's a fucking point to him.

There is.
Fetzie | Protection/Holy Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Former Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Image
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
User avatar
Fetzie
 
Posts: 2022
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:43 am
Location: Karlsruhe, Germany

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:40 am

Image
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9349
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Chunes » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:44 am

Fetzie wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:Everytime Samwell comes on screen I want to hit the "skip" button. Please tell me there's a fucking point to him.

There is.


There is?

Aside from him being a vehicle to deliver some plot, I don't recall him having any purpose other than being scared of everything and just being otherwise fat.

Couldn't GRRM have written a different character to achieve the same things as Sam, just in a skinnier, less annoying form?

No offense to fat people, but the writing really points out that Sam is two things and two things only, fat and craven.
User avatar
Chunes
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:48 am

Yeah why did GRRM feel the need to point out that Sam is fat in every sentence that describes him? It seems a bit weird.

I had to laugh when he killed the white(waight?)walker with the dagger and then dropped it and ran off. Clever dude, clever.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8400
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:30 am

Nikachelle wrote:I had to laugh when he killed the white(waight?)walker with the dagger and then dropped it and ran off. Clever dude, clever.


These are the kinds of things that make me start rooting for characters to die.
Image
User avatar
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 3447
Joined: Wed Aug 01, 2007 1:58 pm

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:37 am

Not the kind of guy you want around during the zombie apocalypse.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8400
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:42 am

Nikachelle wrote:Not the kind of guy you want around during the zombie apocalypse.


Depends. All you have to do is be faster than him. He's big enough to provide enough distraction from the zombies for a while.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9349
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:13 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Not the kind of guy you want around during the zombie apocalypse.


Depends. All you have to do is be faster than him. He's big enough to provide enough distraction from the zombies for a while.

Okay good point.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8400
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:13 am

So I'm kind of scared to look up spoilers for Game of Thrones but like... does winter ever actually come?
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8400
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:21 am

Book 6: The Winds of Winter.
Book 7: A Dream of Spring.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9349
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:26 am

Klaudandus wrote:Book 6: The Winds of Winter.
Book 7: A Dream of Spring.

Oh fgs, that's not even out yet.

"Martin believes the two last volumes of the series will be big books of 1500+ manuscript pages each."

Jesus.

How old is this guy? He's going to croak before he finishes his story. And realistically, how is the TV series ever going to end? If it takes him another three years to get the sixth book out, and god only knows how many more years for the 7th (final?) one. The show is totally screwed.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8400
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:29 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:Book 6: The Winds of Winter.
Book 7: A Dream of Spring.

Oh fgs, that's not even out yet.

"Martin believes the two last volumes of the series will be big books of 1500+ manuscript pages each."

Jesus.

How old is this guy? He's going to croak before he finishes his story. And realistically, how is the TV series ever going to end? If it takes him another three years to get the sixth book out, and god only knows how many more years for the 7th (final?) one. The show is totally screwed.


Now you know how we feel.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
Image
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
User avatar
Klaudandus
 
Posts: 9349
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:08 am
Location: Texas' Armpit

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby cdan » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:53 am

Klaudandus wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:Book 6: The Winds of Winter.
Book 7: A Dream of Spring.

Oh fgs, that's not even out yet.

"Martin believes the two last volumes of the series will be big books of 1500+ manuscript pages each."

Jesus.

How old is this guy? He's going to croak before he finishes his story. And realistically, how is the TV series ever going to end? If it takes him another three years to get the sixth book out, and god only knows how many more years for the 7th (final?) one. The show is totally screwed.


Now you know how we feel.


Neil Gaiman disapproves this message.
cdan
 
Posts: 350
Joined: Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:58 am

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:11 pm

Re: Winter, IIRC the white ravens get sent out from the Citadel - the established message to say that winter has officially started - in book 5.

Chunes wrote:To each their own of course.

To book 4's credit, I enjoyed Jaime's, Brienne's and Sansa's chapters for the most part.

If I was reading before bed though and the next chapter was another fucking cercei chapter, i'd put the book down and go to bed. She's just such a tiring character to read through.

I onyl really realised it on my last reread, but Sansa is one of GRRM's strongest characters. She's a naive girl who gets her illusions shattered, but she's actually very smart - she just hasn't learned it yet. Book 4 shows her starting to.

It is a shame Martin's taking the story so slowly, though, because even the good characters - like Jaime, Brienne, Sansa, Arya - don't feel like they've done much to justify the pages since book three. He really should've found a way to make the five year jump work.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 4791
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Chunes » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:20 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:I onyl really realised it on my last reread, but Sansa is one of GRRM's strongest characters. She's a naive girl who gets her illusions shattered, but she's actually very smart - she just hasn't learned it yet. Book 4 shows her starting to.

It is a shame Martin's taking the story so slowly, though, because even the good characters - like Jaime, Brienne, Sansa, Arya - don't feel like they've done much to justify the pages since book three. He really should've found a way to make the five year jump work.


I agree about Sansa and I think there's a nice comparison to be made between how both she and Arya are having to grow up and survive. Arya just gets shit done. Sansa though, she has the capacity to get things done, but for most of the books she lacks the guile and political awareness (mostly due to being so naive early on) to execute. Fortunately I don't think that will always be the case.

I think it would really be ironic if Sansa, the golden child, actually morphs into a crafty bizzaro-world type cercei figure. Maybe not as blatantly evil, but just as crafty as a matriarch figure.

Or she could get killed in book six. Who the fuck knows...
User avatar
Chunes
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:30 pm

I have the odd notion in my head that one day Sansa could find herself ordering Arya's execution. I think that's probably not likely, though. My story ideas just tend toward the cruelly ironic.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 4791
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Chunes » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:43 pm

If GRRM ends arya after all the shit she endures, I'll fucking end him.
User avatar
Chunes
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:44 pm

Chunes wrote:If GRRM ends arya after all the shit she endures, I'll fucking end him.

You sound like everyone over on Red Wedding Tears. Although without the capslock.
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8400
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Chunes » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:57 pm

Yeah :<

I've made the fatal mistake of getting attached to one of the characters. Arya's just too much of a badass though to not get invested in.

Someone spoiled her character development for me before reading book 4 which made the entire thing drag on all that much longer since she's not really in it.

Suffice to say, I really need to get my hands on book 5 paperback.
User avatar
Chunes
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:59 pm

Ew. Say no to paperback! Hardcover alllllllll the way!
User avatar
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 8400
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:39 am
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Chunes » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:05 pm

Hey, i'm right there with you, but my wife picked up the first few for me in paperback because she's cheap when it comes to buying books.

Now we're committed to the paperbacks because it looks weird to have the first 4 in paper, then the last one sitting there hardcover.

I told her "listen, I have a good job, you're in grad school which you're being paid to attend. I think we can afford some more hardcover in our lives."

So she compromises and buys trade paperback now.

:-/
User avatar
Chunes
 
Posts: 986
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 3:46 pm

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:15 pm

Yeah, that's what annoys me about starting on a series that's halfway through:
Image
Image

The Erikson books there are more annoying, because the publisher didn't actually start releasing them in hardback at all until the last few books. And of course a few years in they'll rerelease the series with totally new covers that don't match the ones you started out buying.

Right now I'm gritting my teeth as I restrain myself from rushing out and buying hardcovers of Locke & Key, because I got the first 4 volumes in trade paperback.
KysenMurrin
 
Posts: 4791
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:37 am
Location: UK

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest