Game of Thrones

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:33 am

econ21 wrote:
Fenrìr wrote:Eh...I didn't find it that amusing tbh.

But you've got to admit "Always going on about climate change" is a good one.

Who's the politician counterposed with Tyrion?

Stephen colbert. Comedian and satirist. He passes his hosts his show as a faux conservative pundit... Sometimes convincingly enough to fool republican politicians... Heck, he got invited to host the press dinner party hosted by the white house and spent the whole night grilling bush, cheney and others.

And yeah, he would prolly do a better job than most politicians.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:13 am

Klaudandus wrote:And yeah, he would prolly do a better job than most politicians.

Most of the problem with politicians is that they're politicians. I would attribute the majority of systemic problems to the fact that there's such a thing as a "career politician."

But getting back on topic.

fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Fetzie » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:52 am

I never really understood who that guy next to danaeris is. Could somebody please enlighten me as to who he is, where he is from and why he has been traipsing around with a nomadic tribe of horse riders?
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Klaudandus » Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:58 am

Pyrea wrote:I never really understood who that guy next to danaeris is. Could somebody please enlighten me as to who he is, where he is from and why he has been traipsing around with a nomadic tribe of horse riders?

That is ser jorah mormont, exiled lord of the bear islands of the north, he had befriended illyrio (the dude that set up vyseris and daeherys) with the dothrakhi so he decided to hang out as a sort of liaison as he had more knowledge of he dothraki culture and the other free cities than vyseris and daenerys.

He is also the son of lord mormont, lord commander of the nightwatch.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Fenrìr » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:12 am

If I remember right, he's in a self imposed exile to avoid having his head on a pike by Lord Stark for selling slaves.
Fenrìr
Maintankadonor

Postby Brekkie » Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:46 pm

Pyrea wrote:I never really understood who that guy next to danaeris is. Could somebody please enlighten me as to who he is, where he is from and why he has been traipsing around with a nomadic tribe of horse riders?

Did you not watch season one? He explains his whole story.

*possible spoilers*

He fell in love with a noblewoman and brought her back to his bleak northern estate, and she hated it in the North and demanded increasingly expensive distractions and luxuries. He fell into debt trying to please his wife until finally in desperation, he sold some of his vassals into slavery to eastern traders. This was in violation of King Robert's laws, as well as bringing great shame on the North as a whole, and Lord Eddard Stark found out about it and determined to behead Jora for his crime. Jora was forced to flee into exile.

He originally stuck with Dany and her brother because he was working as a spy for Varys the Spider, hoping for a royal pardon allowing him to return to his home. However he becomes loyal to Dany, and prevents the assassination attempt against her in Season One.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Fetzie » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:12 pm

I must have forgotten, thanks for the refresh :D
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:46 pm

It was not his vassals - it was some criminals that he sold instead of sending to the Night's Watch.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Nakama » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:22 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:It was not his vassals - it was some criminals that he sold instead of sending to the Night's Watch.

I've never read the books, but in the series they were poachers on his land that he sold into slavery.

--Jed
Nakama

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:36 am

Poachers would be criminals. ;)
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Fetzie » Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:30 am

Poachers are thieves that take livestock from your land.

Fetzie

Postby Shamora » Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:04 am

Poaching has to do specifically with wild animals and plants. In GoT and other similar times likely from hunting on lands that you do not own nor have permission to hunt on.
Hearthstone Arena Stats
Server: PVP US Warsong, Horde - <Orbit>
Main: Keondra, Delver of the Vaults, Lvl 90 Assassination Rogue
Shamora

Postby Brekkie » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:52 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:Poachers would be criminals. ;)

Who were most likely vassals of his because who gets in a boat to sail out to Bear Island just to poach in THAT forest when there is perfectly good forest on the mainland, unless they lived there? ;)
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby alayire » Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:08 am

Hokahey wrote:
alayire wrote:anyway .. KysenMurrin said it better, only few people knew about them actually turning mad. it's hard to justify such actions to the public, when they do not see the same man you know. It's true however that in the movie Joffrey only seems to be this spoiled brat and acting mad, there is no real scene in which he acts as a real king for his people, maybe that's why we get this impression that he's mad( just to note, I had the same impression, haven't read the books ).

All I'm saying is it still works, according to what we know of human behavior. Its been demonstrated time and again that its a lot more difficult to stand up to injustice than people believe. As long as he is perceived to have the unwavering support of the all (or at least the vast majority) of the strong men with swords that are standing around in the immediate vicinity, he can get away with just about anything, regardless of his audience.

this is an interesting subject.
the story is fictive(with magic and all) however the social aspect resembles/is based upon medieval culture. as in kings by blood or by right(conquerors), knights and lords of the lands.
Notice they do talk allot about "the law". if we were to look at our culture in the medieval times, the Kings word was the law. No matter how harsh, how cruel or how insane it was. if the king wasn't there, the Lord of the lands word was the law and so on and so forth down the ladder. Quite in fact if we were to look into our past, we would see that allot of our Kings were very harsh and ruled with an "iron fist" even those that were considered just and kind.
In our times, the law is quite .. well detailed and vast. It sets to protect the human rights and sees all people as equal. that is most certainly not the case with medieval times. Remember the incident where Arya defended that boy in front of Jofery when they were traveling from Winterfell to Kings Landing in season 1? She was a lady, but he was the prince, she broke the law by laying her hand on him. They had a social ladder, overstepping your rank in almost all cases meant losing your head(or the very least your status). She was spared from a very harsh punishment only because her dad and the king happened to be bestest friends.

their law is meant to protect their heritage and ranks, not the common folk. they(common folk) were at the mercy of their rulers. look in our medieval history, people that rebelled needed a leader that had a rightful claim to something(be it the throne, or just a land(king in the north for example)) otherwise their rebellion was doomed before it started.

I mean .. look at Eddard Stark. He was by the looks of it a just man and lord. Yet he beheaded a young man for abandoning his post in the Northen Watch, that's a bit cruel by today standards ain't it, it's not like he killed anyone(well the crime he was being beheaded for atleast)? But that was the law, that was what he was supposed to do because he was the King's man(don't remember the right word for it) and it was his duty. Watch the start of the first episode, he certainly doesn't look thrilled to do it(watch the part where he's with his wife and he gets the news) and he even makes his youngest son watch it.
alayire

Postby Mannstein » Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:26 am

alayire wrote: (..)this is an interesting subject.
Notice they do talk allot about "the law".
(...)

I once read a translation on a law book from the XV century (i think XV)...
It was very well organised, you had the "crime", then two punishment: 1st for the lowborn/low nobility, another for the high Nobility.
I remember thinking... hey at least they already had accountability for the High Nobility.

P.S. IIRC the punishment for sleeping with a married woman went from 10years hard labor for the peasant to 1week money compensations for the High born.
P.P.S. Of course this law camed from the King and it didn't aplied to him.
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein

PreviousNext

Return to General