/applaud
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:44 am

My only real quibble with the last episode was the way they did the Bran part. It's not particularly important to the story, but that chapter was one of the best in the book, and really showcased Maester Luwin's character. That he wasn't even put into the scene apart from one small part, and the scene in the tower being cut, was a little disappointing.
KysenMurrin

Postby Aubade » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:19 pm

DA WITTLE DWAGONS WERE SO CYUTEEE
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
- Aubade Level 88+ Blood Elf Paladin - BloodScalp - Casual
- Awbade Level 85+ Blood Elf Death Knight - BloodScalp - Casual
- Awbabe Level 85+ Undead Mage - BloodScalp - Casual
Aubade

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:02 pm

Aubade wrote:DA WITTLE DWAGONS WERE SO CYUTEEE

^^

While I do like the series... I'm more than a little annoyed that absolutely nothing was resolved.

Have they started filming the second season yet? I'm not sure I can wait long to find out how all these stories collide and whatnot. Although it sounds like very few things ever get resolved in these books...
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:19 pm

Nikachelle wrote:While I do like the series... I'm more than a little annoyed that absolutely nothing was resolved.

Have they started filming the second season yet? I'm not sure I can wait long to find out how all these stories collide and whatnot. Although it sounds like very few things ever get resolved in these books...

http://winter-is-coming.net/ is your source for rumors concerning the TV series, including casting, filming schedules and whatnot.

As for no resolutions in book 1, well... that's the way the book ended

Also, this is how people that have read the books feel about this

Should be noted that when GoT started on TV, had not read any of the books, and I burned thru all 4 books in about 4-5 days each. I was amused I was able to figure out that Ned was dying just because they chose Sean Bean to play his part -- just like I said at the beginning of the thread.
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Baelor » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:47 pm

For those who read the books: season 1 was amazingly close to the book! I was impressed by how much the producers kept to the letter.

For those who were unaware of the series before HBO picked it up: now you know why I chose the name Baelor for my MMO handle. And what my signature is all about. This series is f'in awesome.

On ep 110: did anyone else see Pycelle in his bedclothes and Roz sitting there and just think "please god don't show me wrinkly penis?" With the directors not shying away from full frontals on Theon and Hodor, I was cringing through that whole scene.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:12 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Aubade wrote:DA WITTLE DWAGONS WERE SO CYUTEEE

^^

While I do like the series... I'm more than a little annoyed that absolutely nothing was resolved.

It could've been worse. In the book, Arya's storyline was left with Yoren taking a knife to her (and it wasn't stated he was cutting her hair); the following scene in the show was from the start of book two. Seems they resisted the temptation of keeping in pointless cliffhangers.

(It happens too often, really. Almost exactly the same thing, and usually to Arya.)
KysenMurrin

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:59 am

Baelor wrote:For those who were unaware of the series before HBO picked it up: now you know why I chose the name Baelor for my MMO handle. And what my signature is all about. This series is f'in awesome.

Invis and I sat there going "I wonder if..." during the episode with the Baelor title. And sure enough!
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:24 am

Baelor wrote:For those who read the books: season 1 was amazingly close to the book! I was impressed by how much the producers kept to the letter.

For those who were unaware of the series before HBO picked it up: now you know why I chose the name Baelor for my MMO handle. And what my signature is all about. This series is f'in awesome.

On ep 110: did anyone else see Pycelle in his bedclothes and Roz sitting there and just think "please god don't show me wrinkly penis?" With the directors not shying away from full frontals on Theon and Hodor, I was cringing through that whole scene.

srsly dude I was waiting for you to post here! :p
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Hokahey » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:33 pm

Baelor wrote:For those who were unaware of the series before HBO picked it up: now you know why I chose the name Baelor for my MMO handle. And what my signature is all about. This series is f'in awesome.

Here I thought the name you chose was based off of Irish folklore and legends. Then again, I'd never read A Song of Ice and Fire.
Hokahey

Postby Aubade » Wed Jun 22, 2011 2:43 am

So, I had a gay moment (Sorry levie, had to use the term.)

I went into work monday

I looked at my co-worker

And both me and her looked at each other and were like

"DA DWAGONS WERE SO KYUTE."

And then had like a 4 hour conversation about a 1 hour episode.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
- Aubade Level 88+ Blood Elf Paladin - BloodScalp - Casual
- Awbade Level 85+ Blood Elf Death Knight - BloodScalp - Casual
- Awbabe Level 85+ Undead Mage - BloodScalp - Casual
Aubade

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:20 am

Aubade wrote:So, I had a gay moment (Sorry levie, had to use the term.)

I went into work monday

I looked at my co-worker

And both me and her looked at each other and were like

"DA DWAGONS WERE SO KYUTE."

And then had like a 4 hour conversation about a 1 hour episode.

You need that on a shirt!

Also, damn... now I can't wait to find out about the casting choices for several characters for season 2, like Melisandre, Brienne, the Reed kids, Asha (and the rest of family), Davos, Jahqen, Stannis, Qhorim and Mance =P

Also, took me a while to realize that Osha is Tonks O_O
---
Klaudandus

Postby Klaudandus » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:14 am

This made me lol

http://videos.nymag.com/video/What-If-G ... es-Was-a-B

Game of Thrones as a buddy comedy, staring Bronn and Tyrion in One and a Half man.
---
Klaudandus

Postby Paxen » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:18 pm

I want to see that movie.
Paxen

Postby Hokahey » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:48 pm

The actors and the characters themselves have amazing chemistry together. I would not be dissatisfied to see an offshoot series/movie devoted purely to their travels. It won't happen, but it would be pretty cool. I think the casting of both roles just fits too well.

As an aside, while I reflect on it more, I'm really feeling the love for Pycelle. The scene in the finale where he shows he's been faking the "superstitious, senile old fool", had sort of a late arriving brilliance, instantly putting a new spin on his prior actions to this point.
Hokahey

Postby sahiel » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:06 am

I knew I'd seen Jamie Lannister in something else... turns out it was a highlander-esque show about an immortal cop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Amsterdam_(TV_series)
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:12 am

sahiel wrote:I knew I'd seen Jamie Lannister in something else... turns out it was a highlander-esque show about an immortal cop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Amsterdam_(TV_series)

Man, that Native American chick he saved sounds like a bitch to curse him with immortality and tying his aging to finding his "true love." He should have let her die.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Baelor » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:02 am

Nikachelle wrote:Invis and I sat there going "I wonder if..." during the episode with the Baelor title. And sure enough!

Yep! I chose Baelor because I was naming a paladin and Baelor was a pious king with a cool name in the ASoIaF series. And because it sounds cool.

Sabindeus wrote:srsly dude I was waiting for you to post here! :p

I don't play WoW anymore, I come here once every few months just to check up. I couldn't resist this thread once I saw it :)

Hokahey wrote:Here I thought the name you chose was based off of Irish folklore and legends. Then again, I'd never read A Song of Ice and Fire.

I chose Cathmor from a Gaelic baby naming site when I transferred servers from Runetotem to Malfurion and Baelor was taken. I didn't know Baelor was a name from Irish folklore.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby Hokahey » Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:31 am

Baelor wrote:
Hokahey wrote:Here I thought the name you chose was based off of Irish folklore and legends. Then again, I'd never read A Song of Ice and Fire.

I chose Cathmor from a Gaelic baby naming site when I transferred servers from Runetotem to Malfurion and Baelor was taken. I didn't know Baelor was a name from Irish folklore.

Most of the time, it is spelled "Balor" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Balor), though I've seen it spelled as "Baelor" before. It could be that other spelling was merely a typo.
Hokahey

Postby Dorvan » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:19 pm

I haven't watched the TV series yet. I did just finish the third book, and I've got to say the series went downhill rapidly for me. By the end of the third book, I just didn't give a damn about any of the characters anymore....it felt like the most interesting characters had been killed off, sidelined, or mishandled. Disappointing too since the series was off to such a good start. I just read through the book four plot summary, and I'm glad I saved myself the time.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Baelor » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:21 am

Dorvan wrote:I haven't watched the TV series yet. I did just finish the third book, and I've got to say the series went downhill rapidly for me. By the end of the third book, I just didn't give a damn about any of the characters anymore....it felt like the most interesting characters had been killed off, sidelined, or mishandled. Disappointing too since the series was off to such a good start. I just read through the book four plot summary, and I'm glad I saved myself the time.

The remaining characters are plenty interesting. No one gets "sidelined" in my opinion - they all have their own plotlines that relate to the main storyline, it's just that the story starts to fracture and compartmentalize. I'm confident it will all get sewed back together in book 6 & 7.

I won't say much more to avoid spoiling stuff for future readers/seasons.
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:50 am

When you look at it the number of major characters who actually get killed off are not actually that high. I think the only really significant ones are Ned and

SPOILER
Catelyn along with Robb
SPOILER

but the remaining PoV characters from book one are still going strong, there's evidence that the two PoVs added in book two are going to make a comeback soon, and the third book added Jaime as one of the strongest characters in the series, right up there with Dany, Jon and Tyrion.
KysenMurrin

Postby Aerron » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:59 am

So I'm hearing rumours that Amazon-Germany screwed up and sold Dance early to a number of people.

If that's true, it'll actually start to crack through my rough shell of disbelief that we're actually getting book 5 in less than 2 weeks ...
Aerron

Postby Dorvan » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:49 am

Baelor wrote:The remaining characters are plenty interesting. No one gets "sidelined" in my opinion - they all have their own plotlines that relate to the main storyline, it's just that the story starts to fracture and compartmentalize. I'm confident it will all get sewed back together in book 6 & 7.

Obviously how interesting the characters are is a matter of opinion. By the third book my feeling was the Martin didn't know what to do with a number of the characters and a lot of the arcs lost direction/flow.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby cerwillis » Wed Jul 06, 2011 11:26 am

Dorvan wrote:
Baelor wrote:The remaining characters are plenty interesting. No one gets "sidelined" in my opinion - they all have their own plotlines that relate to the main storyline, it's just that the story starts to fracture and compartmentalize. I'm confident it will all get sewed back together in book 6 & 7.

Obviously how interesting the characters are is a matter of opinion. By the third book my feeling was the Martin didn't know what to do with a number of the characters and a lot of the arcs lost direction/flow.

I get this a lot from stories that have yet to be finished and "canonized". Hearing J.J. Abrams admit to never having a set goal for the Lost series, and just pretty much making it up as they went along ruined it for me. (In the same interview, he admitted to trolling internet sites for ideas.)

I still hold faith in Martin that he has an idea of how this is all going to end, I just hope he gets it all out before he, you know, ends. Another question is, as all of the characters are flawed in some way, will there ever be a satisfying ending? Short of Ned Stark coming back from the dead and taking King's Landing, I don't know if there can be one. Again, those of us that continue reading must have faith that our author, God himself in his own world, will treat the characters and story in a way that comes to an epic conclusion. I still think he will.

In my mind, John Snow will be the rightful king in the end, I'm just not sure how he will make that come to pass.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General