When's the home page going to be updated for Cata expansion?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: When's the home page going to be updated for Cata expansion?

Postby PsiVen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:16 am

As an unemployed engineer who rolled out of bed at 10am today and considered it getting up early, I never thought we needed front page guides and articles, just maybe a friendly splash with extra descriptions to lead i.e. new people to the basic questions forum.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Epimer » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:47 pm

I've never seen the need for a front page and links to articles, either. I forget the place even has a front page most of the time - it could be goatse for all I know. It's a forum; almost by definition the most up-to-date information is going to be contained in relevant threads rather than summary articles.

I do remember being one of several people who shared that sentiment in the updates thread when the changes came in, and being shouted down for being unappreciative of the amount of work it took to implement :roll:
Epimer

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:50 pm

LOADS of us thought it was retarded. Particularly since it was pretty obvious that nobody had the time and energy to maintain it.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:50 pm

I vote for something like
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby halabar » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:50 pm

Chunes wrote:The real question is "do we even need the front page anway"?

I think the forums suffice on their own, to be honest.

Yep. Pretty picture suffices.

Or better, some generic marketing BS to throw off the firewall people.

Sabindeus wrote:
theckhd wrote: But I don't think anyone's actually asked for volunteers.

Aergis did a long time ago when we first put this into place and it just didn't pan out.

Well, considering the number of developers and engineers that are coming out the the woodwork at the moment, we could create something truly terrible to behold.. :D
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby theckhd » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:34 pm

Sabindeus wrote:

Aergis did a long time ago when we first put this into place and it just didn't pan out.

My memory may be fooling me, but I thought he just asked the moderators, whom we've already determined don't have time to do it.

Did he ever ask the forum-going population in general? I mean, we have enough people that post here 10+ times a day, surely one of them has some spare time and enough talent to write a quick summary of patch notes once a week. Or a quick overview linking to two or three very active threads.

I mean, if everyone wants to axe the front page and go back to a regular forum, I'm fine with that as well. I'm just trying to suggest ways to take advantage of what we do have, since Aergis/Sabin spent a lot of time and effort converting the site.

I do think the "guides" links are useful for navigation, in any event. It's good if new people had some way to find prominent guides/threads. But they should be pointing to specific threads, so that the content producers don't have to maintain multiple copies of the same information.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby sculder » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:40 pm

I didn't mean to start a firestorm/debate over the logistics of various ideas, I merely meant to offer my help and suggestions. It seems like no mods want any help, which is cool, but don't take it as an attack on you or the site. The community is great such that having an outdated front page is fine. Annnnd I'll stop there to avoid further arguing or finger pointing :)

I almost don't dare offer any more advice, but I'll do it anyways: unless your phpbb theme has completely died and lost all forms of authors/contributors due to it being a bajillion years old, it's possible to update phpbb without severely screwing your custom mods to the theme.
sculder

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:51 pm

theckhd wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:

My memory may be fooling me, but I thought he just asked the moderators, whom we've already determined don't have time to do it.

Yeah, that's what I meant to say. He asked the moderators.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:54 pm

sculder wrote:I almost don't dare offer any more advice, but I'll do it anyways: unless your phpbb theme has completely died and lost all forms of authors/contributors due to it being a bajillion years old, it's possible to update phpbb without severely screwing your custom mods to the theme.

Well the issue is that this theme was heavily custom modded by Aergis. So even if the base theme is still updated, it doesn't actually look anything like the site does now.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby lythac » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:00 pm

theckhd wrote:Did he ever ask the forum-going population in general?

I can't recall it. I can't even remember any official mention of a site upgrade until it hit. Then Aergis posted a feedback thread, is possible there is a request for contributors mid way through the thread (I got to page 7 before giving up). Seeing Sabin's post I won't re-read the rest of it.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:04 pm

Let me tentatively state that I maybe might possibly have the time to sit down with the code the weekend after next (the 19th). However this should not be construed as any sort of promise as I have previously said stuff like I would "probably" do things, and then played WoW instead. :P
Sabindeus

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:07 pm

And, hilariously enough, this site is STILL MISSING A SEARCH FUNCTION ON THE MAIN PAGE OF THE FORUMS.

Honestly.

The fact that I have to go to "View New Posts" and then click on the "Return to advanced search" button and has been like that for 1.5 years is seriously retarded.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby sculder » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:22 pm

Sabindeus wrote:
sculder wrote:I almost don't dare offer any more advice, but I'll do it anyways: unless your phpbb theme has completely died and lost all forms of authors/contributors due to it being a bajillion years old, it's possible to update phpbb without severely screwing your custom mods to the theme.

Well the issue is that this theme was heavily custom modded by Aergis. So even if the base theme is still updated, it doesn't actually look anything like the site does now.

If the overall look of the forum is import, then it might get difficult. Otherwise, if you can get a list of mods done to the theme, like links added, format changes, or major design mods, and we can have a target theme to port to, you might be able to get some help re-coding them. Otherwise, whatever you do is fine, I'm jsut saying that we apparently have a lot of capable people here that can help with specifics :)
sculder

Postby lythac » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:31 pm

sculder wrote:Otherwise, whatever you do is fine, I'm jsut saying that we apparently have a lot of capable people here that can help with specifics :)

Too many cooks?

I wouldn't mind the front page having more of a website than forum feel. Still if you decide to have "established members" helping by contributing posts there would still be a need for these posts to be checked by a moderator/posted by a moderator. Not solely for content/professionalism but also does it fit in with what Maintankadin as a site wants to be. I know Tankspot came in for a lot of flack (here) with their redesign and talks of it not being a serious site and no better than official forums. On the flip side I wouldn't want Maintankadin to head towards EJ territory.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:48 pm

We have a home page?

I start typing "mai" into the chrome toolbar and it gives me

maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?search_id=newposts&rb_v=search

It's the one page I hit all the time; I don't think I've ever had occasion to go to the "home page" since back when Aergis was soliciting feedback right after the launch.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General