Remove Advertisements

When's the home page going to be updated for Cata expansion?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: When's the home page going to be updated for Cata expansion?

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:35 pm

theckhd wrote:The only times that don't seem slow are during the workday, ironically enough....

heh.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:36 pm

theckhd wrote: The only times that don't seem slow are during the workday, ironically enough....

Waiiiiiiit.... You didn't actually think people are WORKING at work did you Theck?

If it wasn't for a boring job I would have NEVER found Maintankadin!

I get more gamer knowledge at work than when I play most games.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:03 pm

I try NOT to read MT while I'm at home during the week or on the weekends so that I'll actually have more to catch up when I go back to work.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Chunes » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:27 pm

Nikachelle wrote:I try NOT to read MT while I'm at home during the week or on the weekends so that I'll actually have more to catch up when I go back to work.

This is true for me as well.

If I'm going to idle somewhere at home, it's going to be the chan or some other site I can't browse from work.
Chunes

Postby beornus » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:27 pm

Nikachelle wrote:I try NOT to read MT while I'm at home during the week or on the weekends so that I'll actually have more to catch up when I go back to work.

QFT
beornus
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:45 pm

this
i normally read MTadin just when im waiting on something, or when i am at school between classes

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby halabar » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:59 pm

beornus wrote:

QFT

/signed.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby sculder » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:52 pm

Being a web developer I feel compelled to chime in. Joomla (or any cms) isn't entirely needed. It's a nice idea having moderators and other people able to edit the site, but I think a better idea would be a front page based around the forums. Maybe have a new forum section "MT News" and/or "Wow News" in which moderators can post news relevant to the section. The front page can then be filled and created with the content from these forums. (I already have all of the php code needed to accomplish this and many other things, as I have used similar designs on many other sites).

This would allow moderators to keep the front page up to date, without the hassle of them having to go through Joomla or some other crappy cms gui. It would also make the front page (and the whole site) more centered around the forums. Another thought is to have the guides menu (and similar menus) link to posts from a specific forum section, which can be accomplished in much the same way.

These are just suggestions from an overworked/tired web developer :p
If you want any help with code/design in the future, let me know and I'd be glad to help

edit: oh and updating phpbb is really quite simple
sculder

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:23 am

sculder wrote:Being a web developer I feel compelled to chime in. Joomla (or any cms) isn't entirely needed. It's a nice idea having moderators and other people able to edit the site, but I think a better idea would be a front page based around the forums. Maybe have a new forum section "MT News" and/or "Wow News" in which moderators can post news relevant to the section. The front page can then be filled and created with the content from these forums. (I already have all of the php code needed to accomplish this and many other things, as I have used similar designs on many other sites).

This would allow moderators to keep the front page up to date, without the hassle of them having to go through Joomla or some other crappy cms gui. It would also make the front page (and the whole site) more centered around the forums. Another thought is to have the guides menu (and similar menus) link to posts from a specific forum section, which can be accomplished in much the same way.

These are just suggestions from an overworked/tired web developer :p
If you want any help with code/design in the future, let me know and I'd be glad to help

edit: oh and updating phpbb is really quite simple

Being a web developer I feel compelled to let you know that yeah, I know all that.

And being overworked and tired myself, the reason it hasn't happened yet is because I have yet to set aside the contiguous time needed to fix all the problems rokbridge has left lying around.

not an edit: updating phpbb is totally simple... except when you've made tons of modifications (rokbridge) and theme modifications like we have.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby eia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:07 am

Sabindeus wrote:Being a web developer I feel compelled to let you know that yeah, I know all that.

And being overworked and tired myself, the reason it hasn't happened yet is because I have yet to set aside the contiguous time needed to fix all the problems rokbridge has left lying around.

not an edit: updating phpbb is totally simple... except when you've made tons of modifications (rokbridge) and theme modifications like we have.

Being a tired and overworked web developer I it's hard to fit the time, but if you could use some help, just shout.
"It takes two to cuddle."
eia

Postby theckhd » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:20 am

sculder wrote:This would allow moderators to keep the front page up to date, without the hassle of them having to go through Joomla or some other crappy cms gui.

Not being a web developer (sorry, had to keep the theme going), the problem wasn't so much the crappy gui or joomla itself. Yes, those interfaces are annoying, and I'm sure they contributed - my rule of thumb for interface design is "if you make it annoying/cumbersome, people won't use it," and it certainly seems true in this case. I kept up with the MATLAB mini-guide until I got sufficiently annoyed and just stopped bothering.

However, I think that it's mostly an issue of time. I suspect that, like me, most of the other moderators simply don't have time to put together regular news posts. Except maybe for Invisunemployed.

If we had one or two official "reporters" whose only task was to write a quick news post every time something significant happened (patch notes, PTR builds, notable blue posts, holiday events, and so on), I think that we'd be swimming in news posts. I could certainly do it, but it would mean a lot less time doing math-y things. I suspect you'd rather have updated simulations and graphs than a three-page derivation of Noblegarden, so it's probably better if someone else were to do that.

Conceptually, the front page would be similar to tankspot (with fewer videos, hopefully) or a group-run paladin blog. One or two "head" writers, "guest" posts from other members/moderators if they have time (I could probably manage to write something intelligent once a month or so), maybe a guest post here or there from "famous" paladins (I'm sure a lot of people would be interested to hear Treck's thoughts on certain topics) or other paladin bloggers.

I don't think it would be hard to get there. But I don't think anyone's actually asked for volunteers.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Shathus » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:37 am

Didn't something on the front used to list the 'hot' threads? Ones where there used to be a lot of (recent?) activity? Or am I remembering something else. Even that might be enough... at least as long as it filtered out the success/frustration/relationship/random picture post threads heh
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:28 am

Being an overworked tired web developer who works in a corporate communications group, I'll chime in as well.. :wink:

If we don't have the content for the homepage, and someone to generate it, there's not much point in doing much with the page. I'd rather see the major contributors continue their work in the guides the way they do now. Those inclined to do blogs already have them.

I'd change the graphic, update the drop-down navigation to point to the current guides and sections, and call it a day.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Chunes » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:37 am

As a well-rested database developer I feel compelled to tell all you overworked and tired web developers that you all need to relax once in a while.

Sheesh.

Personally, I have no desire to see maintankadin turn into maintankadinspot.com. The home page has been out of date for how long now and this is the first thread I've seen talking about so far. There may have been others, but they must have been ephemeral at best.

The real question is "do we even need the front page anway"?

I think the forums suffice on their own, to be honest.
Chunes

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:45 am

theckhd wrote: But I don't think anyone's actually asked for volunteers.

Aergis did a long time ago when we first put this into place and it just didn't pan out.
Sabindeus

PreviousNext

Return to General