When's the home page going to be updated for Cata expansion?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

When's the home page going to be updated for Cata expansion?

Postby Eroslight » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:42 am

Is it just me?
Or does the homepage still list patch 3.3.3 and the fall of the lich king stuff?
Don't mean to complain - just curious as we are almost to 4.1!!
Eroslight

Re: When's the home page going to be updated for Cata expansion?

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:52 am

TBH, we need to replace the main page with the forums like we did back in the day. Not to mention all the Guides and Gear stuff at the top are horribly out of date.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:06 am

Eroslight wrote:When's the home page going to be updated

tried to change it, but now it's just more broken. We've been asking for the frontpage to be updated/fixed/reverted to the index for a long, long time now.

Sab/Arrgis: "JFolder::delete: Could not delete folder" on any sort of article modification/creation.
Invisusira

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:26 am

arghle farghle bleh

The question is, how long are you all willing to have the forum be down while I rip it out and replace everything. :P
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Malthrax » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:27 am

30 minutes, or the next forum is free?
Malthrax

Postby Amirya » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:29 am

Sabindeus wrote:arghle farghle bleh

The question is, how long are you all willing to have the forum be down while I rip it out and replace everything. :P

Well, since we know where you live, we'll hunt you down and "help"
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:30 am

Can't you just stick a forwarding link on the main page of the web site to the forums?

And honest to god, the next time somebody comes up with the retarded idea to have "up to date" articles on the front page, just punch them in the teeth please. Big ideas are great, but fucking stupid when no one has the time in their life to keep that crap up to date. If you didn't post on these forums, you'd think we'd have died with the 3.2 patch.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:31 am

Well let's see replacing Joomla frontend with forum index redirect...

2 minutes?
Invisusira

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:37 am

Invisusira wrote:

Well let's see replacing Joomla frontend with forum index redirect...

2 minutes?

No what I want to do is:
  • remove joomla entirely
  • remove rokbridge from phpbb
  • install a newer version of phpbb
  • create a redirector for the rokbridge style links
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:38 am

Well, tbh, this site goes down regularly anyway, sometimes for the entire work day, so we're kind of used to downtime.
Last edited by Nikachelle on Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:39 am

Nikachelle wrote:Well, tbh, this site goes down regularly anyway, sometimes for the entire work day, so we're kind of used to downtime anyway.

i blame dreamhost and/or warcraftoverachiever
Sabindeus

Postby Nikachelle » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:41 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:Well, tbh, this site goes down regularly anyway, sometimes for the entire work day, so we're kind of used to downtime anyway.

i blame [snip] warcraftoverachiever

A site which is never updated either.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:15 pm

Sabindeus wrote:

i blame dreamhost and/or warcraftoverachiever

Dreamhost... that does splain some things...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:22 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:

i blame [snip] warcraftoverachiever

A site which is never updated either.

This makes me LOL
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby theckhd » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:25 pm

The joomla idea was neat, but had at least two serious drawbacks:

1. It really requires a dedicated staff for upkeep. You need people posting articles ~weekly, and none of the people with access have the time to do that. If we wanted to salvage the front page, we'd need a few volunteers who would submit news posts and/or "interesting recent forum discussion"-type posts so that there's actually content there.

2. The guides section was just too much of a pain to keep up in addition to the threads. The interface was frustrating to work with, and the formatting wouldn't accept bbcode, so every update required a complete rework instead of a simple copy/paste or export. I still think that having the guides link up top is a good one, but it should link directly to the relevant forum thread. That way it will automatically point to the most updated version of said guide.

Is it worth making those sorts of efforts to salvage the joomla interface? It doesn't sound like it would be too hard to make that work, if someone took initiative. You'd need:

• One or two volunteers to write up a short news post any time Patch/PTR notes come out, mentioning relevant paladin changes
  • One volunteer to write a "this week in maintankadin" news post mentioning interesting forum discussions that occurred that week
  • Sabin (or someone) would have to axe the Guides system and make the menu redirect to different forum posts; another volunteer could help him compile the list of links (I could probably find time for this)

<edit> FWIW, I check the site a lot, and in my experience it's pretty dead (as in, not busy) at a few times. Weekend mornings (before about 11am) are usually slow, as are most weekend evenings (~9pm+ on Fri/Sat, you people fail at keeping me entertained during raids). Probably weeknights are slow too, since a lot of people are playing and raiding. The only times that don't seem slow are during the workday, ironically enough....
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Next

Return to General