I want to kill my own guild

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: I want to kill my own guild

Postby Kelaan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:08 am

Shoju wrote:You should move on from Al'Akir. You need to find that point in the night where things aren't getting better pull to pull, and move on before they start getting worse each pull.

Everyone else is saying "don't be a dick", and I agree. However, I also agree with Shoju and (to an extent) your officers, even if their ultimatum is lame. If you're failing hard at Al'Akir, continuing to do so will sap morale if no one feels like they're learning. Take a break, do Nefarion for a bit, and let everyone get a mental break for their subconscious to mull it over. (I found Al'Akir much easier my second and third nights, for example.) It's quite possible that Nef will be harder, less progress, etc -- but let them SEE that, and then you can more easily persuade them to do Al'Akir.

We all raid for fun. Sometimes raid (and guild) leadership requires some cat herding, but it's part of good management.
Kelaan

Postby Chunes » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:23 pm

My guild approached alakir from a ROI standpoint. "What benefit do we have, other than server progression ranking, for killing this worthless boss?"

The answer was: "Not really all that much," so we killed him last.

If the game is causing you so much strife and you want to disconnect, it really boils down to how evil you want to be. Nuking the guild, severing ties and disbanding everything is a dick move, but I could see myself doing it if I were in your shoes.

"fuck 'em"
Chunes

Postby Belloc » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:59 pm

5. Demote the problem officers. If you are still interested in raiding, make it clear that you are the raid leader and that you will decide what your raid is working on.

If you are no longer interested in raiding, let them fend for themselves. Still demote the problem officers and... let the pieces fall where they may.

Maintain your presence in the game so that a GM cannot be ticketed to have guild leadership passed from you.

edit: In future situations, learn who is deserving of officer status. If someone is not being a good officer, tell them what needs to be worked on. If they continue to fail you, demote them. Do not let a bad officer keep their officer rank.
Belloc

Postby bldavis » Mon Mar 07, 2011 1:09 pm

Belloc wrote:5. Demote the problem officers. If you are still interested in raiding, make it clear that you are the raid leader and that you will decide what your raid is working on.

If you are no longer interested in raiding, let them fend for themselves. Still demote the problem officers and... let the pieces fall where they may.

Maintain your presence in the game so that a GM cannot be ticketed to have guild leadership passed from you.

edit: In future situations, learn who is deserving of officer status. If someone is not being a good officer, tell them what needs to be worked on. If they continue to fail you, demote them. Do not let a bad officer keep their officer rank.

this is the most important thing anyone has said
fail officer is fail
you are the GM, you should have officer that make your life EASIER, not harder
if officer arent up to it, then they shouldnt be officers.

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby PsiVen » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:10 pm

From what I understand, this is a very small 10-player guild we're talking about here. Officer rank really doesn't mean anything in a guild that size, and demoting people from figurehead positions is akin to shoving them in the shoulder. In a small guild you will easily find yourself completely alone as the "leader" and alienated; that's not going to end well.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Kelaan » Mon Mar 07, 2011 4:03 pm

It seems like the fastest route to harmony is the one that involves sacrificing the most hubris: Talk to the officers and raiders about your goals as a raid team, and make some concessions if it's necessary.

If they want "progression", talk about what it means. Talk about why Al'Akir > Nefarion. Talk about whether a mental break from this one fight (which is a brick wall right now)is a good or a bad thing. Be willing to make concessions for raid harmony, so that you can continue to raid smoothly, so that you can come back later to Al'Akir.

My opinion, of course.
Kelaan

Postby Badenhawk » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:14 pm

Given that you've had a couple of days to cool down and think about it, and assuming you haven't nuked the guild at this point, have you thought about handing 'raid-lead' over to one of the other officers instead of handing over the whole guild? If there's one out of the 3(?) officers that's more vocal than the others, why not give him a 2-week or a month trial as raid lead to see if he does any better. As an extension of having a frank discussion around your goals and strategies, this might be worth proposing especially if you're not getting anywhere with talk. At the very worst, if the other guy fails then that might validate the opinion that you need to either start again with a new team or look for another guild.

Running a guild, even a small one, can be a chore in itself, and one of the mistakes I've seen a lot of GM's make (myself included) is believing/assuming that because you set up the guild you're the best or logical choice to run raids - not always the case. It might be that you're good at the admin or organizational side of things but not strategy. If it's the strategy side you think you're good at then maybe the other option is to hand off the admin/management of the guild to one of the officers so that you can focus on running and improving raid performance.

And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers....
Badenhawk
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to General