I want to kill my own guild

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

I want to kill my own guild

Postby Vlad » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:37 am

Okay so this may be a bit of a story.

My guilds a 10man raiding guild in 10/12 normal raids, we used to be in a different guild that was 11/12 but we were g2, I was an officer in that guild and in group 2 (out height of progression with them was 7/12) the GM of our old guild kept on taking our member whenever g1 lost someone (which was often) so we left, the two people helping me form/maintain g2 became my officer and I made our druid an officer too because he is helping with recruiting. the 7/12 didn't include conclave because the 2 people helping me RL and a few raiders hated it so we skipped it after an hour of work

Anyone, fast forward 2 months to now, we're 10/12 and working on al'akir, 2 hours into raid our best attempt was 55% ish and everyone decides they hate Al'akir and want to skip to nef, my officers basically say 'we aren't coming back to al'akir, we're doing nef you can't make us come to al'akir' and well there's a lot of times like that were my officers just say 'this is happening you can't stop it' and if it doesn't happen on one occasion an officer actually left raid half an hour early, and wouldn't come back (it was on cho'gal, he thought i should be stacking the circles on top of one another instead of in a line"

So basically I've had enough, I've got a job now too, and the only reason I'm still raiding really is because I have been raiding with these people for so long it's like an obligation to them but tonight was the final straw, so I want to quit raiding.

Now I have half the guild on facebook and some on msn etc, so my general thinking to kill my own guild is in the middle of the night I'll delete everyone from wow of my facebook and msn, and kick all the raiders (I'll leave the socials, I like the socials =)) not that I'll stay in my dead guild long...but you get the point

What do you guys think I should do?
1. Keep on raiding, bite my tongue and go nef first
2. replace my officers (they would probably take half the guild with them so this is the same as 3)
3. kill the guild in my way or suggest your own, be creative ;]
4. quit raiding, pass gm and just deal with it (rather not)
5. other (suggest)
Vlad

Re: I want to kill my own guild

Postby Amirya » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:49 am

Uhhh...it's nearly 5am, I must be tired, that made my brain contract in confusion.

You were previously in a different guild, in a secondary group, and couldn't progress because your group was being used as a feeder to the primary group. So you and a bunch of people bailed, and made a new guild.

And now you're GM, and your officers are throwing tantrums like children, instead of discussing why there might be a problem on a particular boss.

And you want to respond to this by ninja disbanding, or ninja kicking the raiders and officers as well as from your social groups...?

Did I read that right?
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:10 am

The correct option is 4, and you really shouldn't have needed to ask that. Give the lead to one of the better officers and step down gracefully. Don't be a dick about it.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Vlad » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:13 am

Amirya wrote:Uhhh...it's nearly 5am, I must be tired, that made my brain contract in confusion.

You were previously in a different guild, in a secondary group, and couldn't progress because your group was being used as a feeder to the primary group. So you and a bunch of people bailed, and made a new guild.

And now you're GM, and your officers are throwing tantrums like children, instead of discussing why there might be a problem on a particular boss.

And you want to respond to this by ninja disbanding, or ninja kicking the raiders and officers as well as from your social groups...?

Did I read that right?

That's basically the gist of it yea. g2 wasn't supposed to be a feeder group, and really I don't want to just step down and let them keep raiding

and I don't think any of the officers can or should be allowed to GM a raiding guild..
Vlad

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:15 am

If they're really that way, the guild will fall apart on its own under whoever you leave in charge. You shouldn't be petty and try to ruin their fun yourself, though.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Epimer » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:51 am

I agree with what Kysen said, in both posts. Don't be a dick about it, or you're worse than the people you're complaining about. Pass lead (to someone's level 3 bank alt for all it matters), /gquit, move on.
Epimer

Postby Dantriges » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:52 am

Ivanova is god, you will listen to Ivanova and do what Ivanova says. Replace Ivanova with raidlead.

If your officers start arguing with you during raid time, something is going wrong. O chat is there for a reason.
If they want to change bosses in the middle of progress you have half the boses half done and no progress. I hate Al´Akir, too and I am probably not the only one on this board or in the WoW gaming populace in general but I bit my tongue and suffered through it. Sometimes there will be bosses and they won´t just kill themself just because people are not fond of them.

Seems you have an authority problem at the moment. Talk with them in a quiet hour and make it clear that you don´t like this at all. Perhaps you can go half way and include them more in the decision what boss to do and you expect them to support your decision. Leaving during raid time is an absolute no go.

If they have some good proposals, they should make them before you start raiding. If they have advice during raidtime, you will consider it but it´s your final decision and you expect them to support you, at least in public. Tell them tha you can make bad decisions, you are just human after all. Making mistakes happens. But bad decisions are still better than no decisions or pointless bickering.

Tell them if they still try to stab you in the back, you will replace the officer. If the officers are against you in majority or think that you do a bad job, step down gracefully. If they want to run the show, let them and go. Otherwise you are just throwing a childish tantrum. You would be just like the guys you read about on the forums and shake your head, because you cannot believe that an adult would do it.
Dantriges

Postby Gaxby » Sun Mar 06, 2011 8:42 am

Just leave dude. Or else it's going to drive you crazy.

I recently left my old guild because the raid leader was making me insane. Best decision I've ever made. Sure it might be hard, but you'll thank yourself later down the road.

Remember that.
Gaxby, Energizer Pally of Grim Batol
Gaxby

Postby theckhd » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:32 am

Vlad wrote:That's basically the gist of it yea. g2 wasn't supposed to be a feeder group, and really I don't want to just step down and let them keep raiding

and I don't think any of the officers can or should be allowed to GM a raiding guild..

This statement is probably the biggest reason you should step down and hand over GM to one of them. Because when I read that, it screams "I am not mature enough to be in charge of a raiding guild." Part of being a leader is being responsible, and thinking about what's best for your players. Making decisions for reasons of petty revenge is a pretty good sign that you're not concerned with their best interests.

This decision is about you, and whether you want to keep raiding with or leading them. If you don't, then step down and hand over the reins. It is not up to you to decide whether they "should be allowed" to keep raiding, or even be a GM, if you're not going to be part of it.

It does sound like your officers are incompetent, from a raiding perspective, but it may just be that they don't share your goals. Wiping endlessly to kill bosses isn't everyone's cup of tea. There's certainly room in this game for players who just want an easy stroll through instances, you just may not be one of them.

So man up and step down. You can rest assured that under the leadership of your officers, the guild won't be progressing any more quickly.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby halabar » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:19 am

And I'd add stay in if there is reasonable chance to get Nef soon, unless you have good options elsewhere. It's not like you are 3/12.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby mavfin » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:18 pm

Yeah, if you want out, gquit and leave them to it. Ninja-disbanding the guild makes you a worse child than them.

I left a guild when their goals/methods no longer matched mine, too, but I didn't try to break up the guild. I gquit/transferred toons in the middle of the night, and just disappeared, rather than cause drama. PMed the GM on the forums to let him know I was leaving.

When people who mysteriously always get 'stunned' in the fire on the first fight of heroic ToC are being listened to more than the veteran raiders are, it's time to leave, imo, but that doesn't mean it's time to kill the guild. They made their own bed, so they can deal.
--Mav
mavfin

Postby PsiVen » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:41 pm

If the officers are supposed to be your friends, you should try to talk with them. The conversation may well end with you quitting and passing GM, but it's the right thing to at least try and work out the problems before you leave. I've always hated Al'Akir too, but skipping him for Nef in 10-man is incredibly foolish and the same people that failed at tornadoes will be wiping you like clockwork at lava pillars. If reasoning doesn't work, you have no reason to stay. But above all, you should not seek to childishly gdisband or even quietly disappear while people expect you to lead.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby bldavis » Sun Mar 06, 2011 3:47 pm

i know this is just being a parrot at this point in this thread, but if you ninja /gdisband
than you are more of a child then any of them

granted, if i was GM of a "raiding" guild, and one of my officers left mid-raid, much less mid-boss, unless they had a DAM good reason (read ER needed, or something like that) that would be a downgrade from thier officer status.
i would want ppl who would support me, and stick with my decisions.

sure they may not be mature enough to run a raiding guild, but even considering the ninja disband shows you are not as well.

my suggestion would be to talk to your officers, bring up your issues, and if you cannot work something out
then step down, and pass GM to someone else who is WILLING

if they are that bad, the guild will collapse under its own weight

i have been a RL and officer in several guilds, but petty shit made me hate them in time. so i transferred servers, after finding a guild that i knew i would have a home in.
that was the best thing i ever did.

tl:dr - talk to your officer team about your problems, if you cant work it out, leave after passing GM to someone who wants it.
dont be a lil child about it.

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Zibey » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:14 am

To be honest I would not gquit the guild if I was in your shoes. Especially if you feel there are some good players you believe to stay with you.
You seem like you just emo-rage on the forum now, and you will change your mind in a day or two, so don't make decisions you will regret later - and leaving the guild and starting up from scratch would be definately one of them.

You are guildmaster, and you have certain vision of the guild - which means you should chose officers with same vision, and willing to follow it with you. In that case you should probably remind everyone (on a forum if your guild has one) what the goal is, and expect them to either start acting like real raiders, or find another place where they will feel better. If you play it well (as in - do not rage, be calm at all times, NEVER insult anyone while talking to them, even if they insult you, and in general just be "professional") you will not see many gquits

That is what I would do but (and no offence here) I personally think you are not really suited for being guildmaster - and for the same reason others stated. Even thinking of disbanding the guild to "hurt" others is less than I'd expect from my 9y old cousin.
Gniev - The Maelstrom EU
Zibey

Postby Shoju » Mon Mar 07, 2011 7:39 am

I'm not a GM. I have never been a Gm of a "raiding" guild. I don't know if I would even want to be GM of <Lurkers>, so take this as you will.

Maybe this a problem with just one person, or with many people? Sometimes a guild is simply better off after one person moves on. You find out that one person caused strife and headaches for more than just 1 person, and when they move on, things are very likely to be better because of it. Could it be that you have an officer or well known person in the guild who is like this? I would find out if it was even a person who had been with the guild for a long time, but from the sounds of it, a couple months wouldn't be a very long time. It could be this person could even be you? It is a question you need to ask yourself. The sooner it is resolved the better. No one likes to be stuck in a situation with someone that just makes it worse for the guild.

There will always be bosses that no one wants to put the work into. That goes for I'm sure everyone
on this board at some point in there progression. Their is just this one boss that everyone hates, and you have to move on from it. We have had them several times over as a more casual guild. We had OS3d during T7, Mimiron during T8, ToGC during T9 (many of us didn't see it as worth the time based on the difficulty), Sindragosa during T10. Recently it felt like tAC was going to be that for us, but we got it done on saturday.

Maybe, and I'm not taking sides here, You should move on from Al'Akir. You need to find that point in the night where things aren't getting better pull to pull, and move on before they start getting worse each pull.

Leaving a raid in the middle of a night because you just don't like how things are going is a pretty drastic situation. This means either things are going terrible, to the point where it isn't fun for anyone, OR this person is being childish.

Look at the way things are going. Maybe the guild isn't the right fit for you, maybe there is one person who just needs some motivation in moving on to make the guild a better place for the rest of the people there.
Shoju

Next

Return to General