Remove Advertisements

Interesting Breakdown on our Raiding Body.

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Interesting Breakdown on our Raiding Body.

Postby Shoju » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:24 am

So, I was chatting with a guildie last night about the Dk changes that give them a Brez, and how that will be nice, because it will mean that we always have a brez handy. I got to thinking about our raiding population, and man... it is weird.
Code: Select all
Class--------Number of Raiders
Death Knight - 3
Druid -------- 4
Hunter ------- 2
Mage --------- 1.5 (Druid has a mage for DPS off spec)
Paladin ------ 3
Priest ------- 2
Rogue -------- 1
Shaman ------- 2.5 (There are a bunch of shaman alts that make up .5 of a raider)
Warrior ------ 1.5 (Healy Priest has a warrior for tanking purposes)
Warlock ------ 0

Now, in a week or two, we will be adding another shaman and a warlock (once they get geared). But wow, we have so few pure mains it blew my mind.
Shoju

Re: Interesting Breakdown on our Raiding Body.

Postby Gab » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:30 am

If by lack of pure mains, you are talking about pure dps classes, then our raid make up is extremely similar.

I wonder how much of this applies to most guilds. Our 10 man runs 12 raiders. Only 2 of which are pure dps classes.

1 Death Knight
3 Druids
1 Hunter
0 Mages
2 Paladins
2 Priests
0 Rogues
2 Shaman
1 Warlock

The added flexibility of hybrid off specs is very valuable especially in a 10 man raid. Although sometimes I do think it would be nice to have a rogue or a mage, It just doesn't justify running a 14 person roster for a casualish guild. If we have to, we just use someone's alt.
Gab

Postby Thrornir » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:57 pm

We're another 10-man group and we have the current comp of:

2 Death Knight
2 Druids
1 Hunter
1 Mages
3 Paladins
1 Priests
1 Rogues
1 Shaman
1 Warlock
0 Warrior

We should have another hunter and priest, but real life has kept them out of raiding... which is why we tend to run a roster of 12-15 to make sure our 10-man can run without having to scramble for replacements.
Thrornir

Postby Chunes » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:33 pm

GfG's 10m progressioncore group runs extremely barebones:

Paladin: 2
DK: 2
Druid: 1
Shaman: 2
Hunter: 1
Rogue: 1
Mage: 1

Personally, I'd love it if our ele shaman morphed into either a warlock or a shadow priest, but I digress...
Chunes

Postby Saler » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:15 pm

10 mans, 2 raid teams

1 Death Knight
4 Druids
1 Hunter
2 Mages
6 Paladins
2 Priests
2 Rogues
3 Shaman
0 Warlock
3 Warrior
Saler

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:13 am

Do warlocks just not bring enough to the table? Out of the 5 guilds listed here, there are what... 2 raiding locks? Here is the breakdown of your 5 guilds not including "halves." I'd be interested to see if there is some place to get an accurate assessment at raiding % by class (would probably be difficult to differentiate between "mains" and "alts" though.)

Death Knight - 9
Druid -------- 14
Hunter ------- 6
Mage --------- 5
Paladin ------ 16
Priest ------- 7
Rogue -------- 5
Shaman ------- 10
Warrior ------ 4
Warlock ------ 2
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Darielle » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:27 am

WE have 6 Druids and 5 Paladins.

Pures are low but that's because the people who play them invariably end up having RL come up. We had 2 Mages in ToGC, a different 2 Mages in ICC, a different 2 Mages at the start of Cat, and right now we're at a different set of 1 Mage and 2 trial Mages. It's a similar story with Locks, Hunters, and Rogues really. RIght now we're at 1 Mage, 1 Hunter, 2 Locks and 2 Rogues.
Darielle

Postby Hokahey » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:01 am

Our "typical" raid team has-

0 Death Knights
3 Druids
0 Hunters
1 Mage
2 Paladins
0 Priests
0 Rogues
2 Shaman
1 Warlock
1 Warrior

This is an extremely casual guild. There are 2 players not included who could bring a Paladin and a Warrior (level capped, but woefully incompetent), and 1 raid viable alt Warrior, in exchange for one of the Druids. Also, at least 3 players have raid viable toons in other guilds.

I'd guess the ability to check more than one block for LFD queue could be a major culprit, but that's just a guess. We'd definitely need more data to even make a genuine assertion that there is a real disparity between number of people playing pure DPS classes as "mains" vs. hybrids, much less making theories about why people are playing them less.

Note that I genuinely believe that there is one, but the evidence is insufficient.

Also, thus far in the thread it seems not all hybrids are created equally. Paladins and Druids seem to rule the roost at the moment, while Priests and Warriors are roughly on par with Hunters, Mages, and Rogues. I'd be curious to see what would happen to the numbers if more data were collected.
Hokahey

Postby culhag » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:29 am

Skye1013 wrote:Do warlocks just not bring enough to the table? Out of the 5 guilds listed here, there are what... 2 raiding locks?

Warlocks are great. They do very good damage overall.
In Demo spec they can do very impressive AoE. On Maloriak they helped a lot.

We usually have two or three locks in our 25-man raid.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:39 am

Hokahey wrote:Also, thus far in the thread it seems not all hybrids are created equally. Paladins and Druids seem to rule the roost at the moment, while Priests and Warriors are roughly on par with Hunters, Mages, and Rogues. I'd be curious to see what would happen to the numbers if more data were collected.

Paladins and Druids can tank, heal AND dps, whereas warriors/priests/dks/shaman only get 2 outta 3. Though with some of the changes to shaman in 4.0, it looked like Blizz was wanting to potentially turn them into tanks as well, but I don't quite think they're there.

I realize from my other post, that it's mostly anecdotal evidence from 5 guilds out of the thousands that are out there, but it seems just about any guild that is advertising for new people are looking for anything but DK/Druid/Paladin (a lot are searching for ranged dps, which is 3/4ths of the "pure" classes.)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Epimer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:14 am

culhag wrote:Warlocks are great. They do very good damage overall.
In Demo spec they can do very impressive AoE. On Maloriak they helped a lot.

We usually have two or three locks in our 25-man raid.

We have two warlocks in our 16-person raiding roster. Neither of them has a Demo spec. We often struggle on (progression) fights which involve AoE phases. It is annoying.
Epimer

Postby Shoju » Thu Mar 03, 2011 7:10 am

For us, we don't ask people to play something. We feel that this game is for your enjoyment (being the key word here), and if you feel the need to play something "for the sake of the guild" it is a personal choice, and nothing we will ever force. The entire time I have been in lurkers we have been light on warlocks and rogues. In TBC we had ~3 warlocks that raided with us, and 2 rogues. In Wrath we occasionally had a warlock, and 2 rogues. Now in cata, our only raiding warlock just quit the game a month or so ago, and we have 1 rogue.

"halves" for us is a pretty important thing because of the way we raid. People with multiple geared characters for different roles or even with different strengths is a great bonus for us. Our Priest with the warrior alt is probably going to end up looking more like a warrior with a priest alt if we can't get a tank or two recruited.
Shoju

Postby Epimer » Thu Mar 03, 2011 8:55 am

We don't have required specs or whatever either. If you want to dual spec into something more useful for the raid (e.g. I changed from Prot/Ret to Prot/Holy because we're shorter on healers than DPS, even though this means I get to tank less often because it helps out the raid group. I chose to do this, nobody even so much as hinted at me doing so).

But we would like to progress in heroic modes at some point. I think a pure DPS player should be willing to have (for example) a single target spec and an AoE spec if that will be helpful on some fights, and if they want to progress in heroic modes. I would rather we either stick with "play what you want" and stick to normals or the relatively easier hard modes, or we encourage people to do as described above and push heroic progress. But "play what you want" and "reasonable progress in hard modes" don't seem to be to be compatible philosophies, particularly with how sensitive 10 mans can be to raid stacking. But that's just a minor frustration of mine and perhaps belongs elsewhere.
Epimer

Postby Chunes » Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:48 am

It's not that locks or priests are bad in any way for my group. It's just that nobody decided to roll one. Our DPS DK was a holy priest for much of wrath, our hunter was a DK for much of wrath, our mage was a ret and our druid was a hunter. We never really had a solid lock in our wrath raid core. We had a few come and go, but they were largely short-bus and thus didn't really stick around.
Chunes

Postby Chicken » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:00 am

More numbers:

Death Knight - 1
Druid -------- 4
Hunter ------- 0
Mage --------- 1
Paladin ------ 2
Priest ------- 1
Rogue -------- 1
Shaman ------- 2
Warrior ------ 3
Warlock ------ 1
I definitely wouldn't say there's anything wrong with Warlocks, or well, most classes really. I think it's more a case of that the pure classes in general seem a bit less played than the various hybrids, and of the pure classes our current samples just happened to include less warlocks.

Alternative explanation: Our guilds warlocks have been slowly evaporating due to them acquiring a "life" in various different forms (Ranging from starting a relationship, to having kids, to having a much busier job now; also one guy who acquired a PlayStation 3, but I won't count him), so it's simply because Warlock players are just much more likely to succeed in life clearly!
Chicken

Next

Return to General