Why we play this game, and what keeps us going

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Why we play this game, and what keeps us going

Postby Brekkie » Mon Mar 07, 2011 6:16 am

So yeah, <Cuties Only> died too. For exactly the same reasons; attrition, core players quitting, zero quality recruits.

AND THEN THERE WERE FIVE (Vodka, Premo, Adept, Blood Legion, Exodus)
I heard Vodka is having problems too...
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby halabar » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:30 am

mavfin wrote:So, I level some, instance some, and play SC2, Civ 4/5, Torchlight, Harpoon, and fiddle with Two Worlds II that I bought on a lark just for the hell of it one day. I still have things to do in WoW that I haven't done yet, and five classes I haven't gotten to 85, so I have some interest in the game, but it doesn't hold me like it used to. Diablo 3 and/or Torchlight 2 will further cut into my WoW time, and I'm sure Titan, if that's the new Blizzard MMO, may finish off WoW for me, but, then, I can't complain. Six years at one game is really a long run, unless you're an old EQ'er. Well, and I've played Harpoon since 1995 in between other games. The interface is old, but the backend has improved hugely in those years.

I'm just not willing to dedicate the raiding nights, it wore on my wife too much. Even if I play a lot now, I can stop in 15 or 30 minutes if I'm doing a hero if she wants to ask me something, or wants to watch an anime.

All I play is WoW, I won't spread the time between games like that. When something else does come along that's good and has a Mac client, I'll sell my gold and dump WoW. My guess is it will be Titan, as the other game developers refuse to add Mac clients. Would love to try Rift, but..
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Discus » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:12 am

Orbis non sufficit
Discus

Postby Worldie » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:29 am

Chicken wrote:
Arcand wrote:I played about an hour of one of the Diablos and it didn't
grab me at all, so...eh, maybe.

When I hear "Power Gamer" I think of people who will initiate
a kick on anyone wearing a green or underperforming on DPS,
which isn't me in the slightest. So I don't know if I'm misunderstanding
the term or if it has several meanings. My initial reaction is that
I don't want to be called that.
I believe the usual term for a person like that is "douchebag" not "power gamer".

Crap, I'm finding myself doing this more and more, what am I doing :(
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Levantine » Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:06 pm

I kick people for underperforming in relation to their level of gear, not so much if they're wearing a green, just if they're wearing a green AND doing absolutely terribly. Does that make me a kind of douchebag?
Levantine

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:26 pm

Levantine wrote:I kick people for underperforming in relation to their level of gear, not so much if they're wearing a green, just if they're wearing a green AND doing absolutely terribly. Does that make me a kind of douchebag?

If it's affecting your ability to complete the dungeon/raid, then I don't see any problems with it. Granted, if it's someone that is only autoshotting... they'll get a boot rather quickly, regardless if the rest of us can 4 man it.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:51 am

Well I tend to get pissed when I see level 85s doing sub 4k DPS.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Levantine » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:06 am

Lets just say if an 85 dps is doing less damage than my Atonement Priest I get annoyed, whether we can finish the instance carrying them or not.
Levantine

Postby Aubade » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:08 am

Worldie wrote:Well I tend to get pissed when I see level 85s doing sub 4k DPS.

I just had a run in with a realllly bad pug.

Now, I'm normally a nice guy in pugs (outside of the occassional giving friends tank Q's.) If your gear is bad but you're willing to try or listen to tips on your rotation I'm more than happy to help out in any way I can in that pug.

BUT

When I enter a dungeon with 4 randoms, and the first thing they say to me after I say "Hello, how are you guys tonight?" Is "Wow, you must really not have a life." I tend to get a little worried.

I just did a SFK where The Damage meters after the last boss looked a little like this.

#1 Awbade - 10k overall DPS
#2 Random Boomkin - 9k overall DPS (Not a bad guy, had really bad gear but was nice about it.)
#3 Scrub DK - 5k Overall DPS (#1 spell - howling blast #2 melee, only 2 other spells both dots used.)
#4 Fury Titans grip warrior - 3.5k Overall DPS (I'm not kidding. #1 melee, #2 Heroic strike, #3 Bloodthirst (used 5 times) #4 Raging Blow (used once.)

After about the 4th or 5th pull with these guys, I said "Hey, warrior/dk, do you guys know your rotations? You could put out a lot more damage if you read up for like 30-45 minutes, It would make things go a lot faster for you.)

Their response "It's a video game, I have a life. If I wanted to spend all my time learning how to play this game I wouldn't play it at all."

Me: "Okay....Well, I can't think of ANY video game that you could beat without doing a little bit of research into how to play, you can't beat Call of Duty by shooting randomly, you can't beat zelda by slashing around like a madman without knowing what you're doing a little bit."

Them: "Just shut up and tank you fucking nolife."

It was at that point I came up with the Greatest. Idea. Ever.

Me: "....I'm going to do an experiment"

So, I stopped tanking. The only thing I did was autoattack and holy wrath. (Although I did keep the boomkin alive.)

2 pulls later.
Them: "You talk a lot of shit for someone who can't even tank right, learn how to hold aggro you noob."

Me: "..."

About the 5th time the warrior/dk died the shaman stopped healing me (warrior was guilded with shaman and dk.)
It was at this point I actually loled IRL.
I popped my CD's (trash pack in SFK) Switched to Insight/WoG spam, and me and the boomkin continued to finish the rest of the 3-4 trash packs till the boss.

Them: "Damn it, I can't kick anyone for 45 more minutes"

Me: "Interesting, I wanted to see if I played as badly as you if you'd complain."

Me: "You did. Funny how that works?"

We then finished the run in complete silence.

After soloing those trash packs and shutting them up completely, I was pretty happy =]
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Pizbit » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:57 am

Awwww great story :D

Interesting tales here, pretty mucht he reason people are sitll playing is why I quit, I wasn't socially involved enough with people. Guilds fell apart, people quit, people got jobs, my hours changed etc.

And yet I have a small hankering to go back, I must resist because it'll just end the same way. Without a solid group of wow friends it's daft to consider, but I'm soo borrrred :(
I have ADHD and OCD...I keep forgetting to wash my hands.
Pizbit

Postby halabar » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:42 pm

Pizbit wrote:Awwww great story :D

Interesting tales here, pretty mucht he reason people are sitll playing is why I quit, I wasn't socially involved enough with people. Guilds fell apart, people quit, people got jobs, my hours changed etc.

And yet I have a small hankering to go back, I must resist because it'll just end the same way. Without a solid group of wow friends it's daft to consider, but I'm soo borrrred :(

Come to Scarlet Crusade, we take the tired and weary..
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Worldie » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:59 am

Aubade wrote:#4 Fury Titans grip warrior - 3.5k Overall DPS (I'm not kidding. #1 melee, #2 Heroic strike, #3 Bloodthirst (used 5 times) #4 Raging Blow (used once.)

Damn i just had this person in a pug... :S

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Skye1013 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 5:08 am

Aubade wrote:Awesome tanking story.

This is how to be a douche to the people that deserve it while still getting the job done :D. How were you "keeping the boomkin alive?" Righteous Defense?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:34 am

Skye1013 wrote:
Aubade wrote:Awesome tanking story.

This is how to be a douche to the people that deserve it while still getting the job done :D. How were you "keeping the boomkin alive?" Righteous Defense?

Yeah, and an over-abuse of WoG. Had to LoH him at one point, he was also healing himself and me if things got kinda hairy.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby bldavis » Sun Mar 13, 2011 3:37 pm

halabar wrote:
Pizbit wrote:Awwww great story :D

Come to Scarlet Crusade, we take the tired and weary..

and with as many MTadins as are in PK now we always have something to talk about!

granted atm its mostly about ZA/ZG loot tables and how us hunters are being forced to pvp but its still a topic

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

PreviousNext

Return to General