Remove Advertisements

Why we play this game, and what keeps us going

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Why we play this game, and what keeps us going

Postby halabar » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:16 am

cerwillis wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:
Shathus wrote:I think the mods need to create a Paragon Knights sub-forum. It's like a guild conversations in every thread!

or they could go get their own damn forum.

^^^ Proboards is excellent and free!!!

Need one that isn't firewall blacklisted...

You do realize that one thing that keeps this forum going is the fact that it has evaded the firewall blacklist for years? If this was blacklisted, I'd be in and out to check on Petrus's and Dirgen's excellent guides, but would be gone otherwise.

Look what happened with Njall when this got blacklisted for him. He's gone...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Nikachelle » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:47 am

You can make a web site/forum and not put "GAMING" in the meta tags you know.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:55 am

Nikachelle wrote:You can make a web site/forum and not put "GAMING" in the meta tags you know.

The blacklists are much more sophisticated than that. They monitor traffic, Google indexes, keyword frequency, some have their own webcrawlers, and also rely on "tipsters". I think one of the reasons MT has survived is the fact that it's "under" a design site. You basically need to bury sites with this much gaming discussion to have them survive the blacklists. Metatags do play a part, but there's a lot more to it.

And anything on any of the free guild services is insta-blacklisted, as the root domains and IPs are already blocked.

halabar

Postby Shathus » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:57 am

I use boardhost.com for my guild's forums. To be honest, they bug me sometimes, but it works just fine for what I wanted it for, something simple I could set up and have people communicate on outside of the game. I know my wife can get to it at work as the filters don't pick it up, but obviously varies for everything.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:15 am

Shathus wrote:I use boardhost.com for my guild's forums. To be honest, they bug me sometimes, but it works just fine for what I wanted it for, something simple I could set up and have people communicate on outside of the game. I know my wife can get to it at work as the filters don't pick it up, but obviously varies for everything.

Interestingly enough, proboards and boardhost are both unblocked here. I think it's because they loosened up on social media access, and since these are general purpose forum sites.

I know Ami is working on the PK site, which is having issues at the moment, and I don't know if it's blocked. (See, more PK talk!).

But back on topic.. was thinking about this more last night, and it's the near-term challenges that are keeping me in the game now, along with the project-car-in-the-garage aspect of building and gearing alts. Maybe I'll find a toon I want to raid on again.

halabar

Postby Sabindeus » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:39 am

halabar wrote:Need one that isn't firewall blacklisted...

You do realize that one thing that keeps this forum going is the fact that it has evaded the firewall blacklist for years? If this was blacklisted, I'd be in and out to check on Petrus's and Dirgen's excellent guides, but would be gone otherwise.

My answer to this is the same as my answer always is... don't work at a place that restricts your network unless they are paying you insane amounts of money.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby halabar » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:57 am

Sabindeus wrote:
halabar wrote:Need one that isn't firewall blacklisted...

My answer to this is the same as my answer always is... don't work at a place that restricts your network unless they are paying you insane amounts of money.

Quit my job because they don't allow MMO-Champion? And while I'm not making tons of money, the benefits and pay are very reasonable.

halabar

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:30 pm

If I worked somewhere with an unrestricted network... I'd probably be doing less work than I currently do with only reading MT and EJ...
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to General