Remove Advertisements

Why we play this game, and what keeps us going

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Why we play this game, and what keeps us going

Postby inthedrops » Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:48 pm

It's far too easy to get caught up into the competitive side of things. We often forget what it means to have fun.

There's a thread on the US forums that I found very interesting: What is killing high end 25-man raiding?. If you haven't read it, it's worth a quick once over. People discuss how things have changed in Cataclysm, the struggles guilds are experiencing, and why.

I could talk about the countless verbal frustrations expressed while learning Heroic CoW, or Nefarian, or whatever else we struggled with. But you all know what I'm talking about. We all have that. And it builds up over time, people get flustered, point fingers, whatever.

Very recently, my guild had the sloppiest Heroic Atramedes kill you can imagine. When the boss died, we were all laughing our a$$e$ off. We all knew we played terribly. For the first time since the expansion, we couldn't care a bit :) We shared a moment that we'll remember well into the next tier. These are the moments that people remember, and which bind us together. Although rare, they remind me why I enjoy the game so much.

If you're interested in the video (plus the silly laughter) of this kill, I have it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKXo2syOpwM. I think it's interesting enough to warrant the few minutes it takes to watch. Heck, it'll probably strike up similar memories with your guild.

These memories are why I play, and what keeps me going. How about you?
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Re: Why we play this game, and what keeps us going

Postby Gaxby » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:00 pm

No, the game is very serious. My guild is rank #1 on the server. I do not have fun and I eat progression bosses for breakfast. I go to Maintankadin for the latest strat. I do not wish to hear your entertaining stories! I HUNGER FOR KNOWLEDGE! :evil:

/sarcasm :lol:
Gaxby, Energizer Pally of Grim Batol
Gaxby

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:11 pm

I think currently (since I can't effectively PvP or Raid right now) the only thing keeping me logging in, is not having anything better to do. It also allows me to chat with my friends (on the occasion that we're both logged in at the same time... stupid time zone differences.) I do enjoy being able to solo some of the old raid content, just cleared Kara for the 2nd time, and the two bosses that had given me the most trouble the first time (Netherspite, Chess) were considerably easier this time. Netherspite was actually dead just as his first phase out happened, and chess only took about 5 tries (as opposed to 20ish the first time I tried to solo it.)
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:23 pm

Looks like our first Atr kill, when we had 4 people alive for the last 5 percent or so :D

But yeah, any longevity with the game boils down to having fun with friends. Inside jokes and shared experiences. Being able to continue running jokes that date back to Molten Core. Continuing to haze a guy about disconnecting when the last time he disconnected was during Mag before his turn on the cube.

Our guild is probably a little unusual in that a sizeable chunk of us actually get together a couple times a year -- at blizzcon and then spring break at my house. I didn't know any of these people outside the game; now some of us get together every chance we get.

One new recruit actually moved across the country for a new job shortly after he joined; I later found out he moved down the street from me. We get together every other week for dinner, usually after Saturday Alt Raid. I had another guildy come out for a week a couple years ago; he and another guildy are expecting a daughter in a few months (they met in the game, incidentally).

I'll know these people long after I hang up my shield. We met because of the game and we spend an ungodly amount of time together because of the game. But it's been worthwhile time.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby sahiel » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:38 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:Our guild is probably a little unusual in that a sizeable chunk of us actually get together a couple times a year -- at blizzcon

Small note, I loved seeing you guys at Blizzcon, thought the name tags in 09 were amazing and really looked forwards to seeing them again last year!

We've experienced a similar thing, some people have moved on to other guilds due to timezones, rl friends, or even quit the game due to time constraints, jobs, etc but a significant group of us all get together at Blizzcon (whether they still play or not, we invaded Disney and Knottsberry farm last year en masse) and throughout the year when someone throws a weekend get together on the 4th of July, etc. I'll know these people for goodness knows how many years, no doubt much longer than the few we've played together in WoW and that's worth more than any epic loot.
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby bldavis » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:30 am

for me, its mostly spending time with friends
ive spent enough time in wow and on these forums that i consider some of you my personal friends

if it wasnt for my friendships that have came from this game, i would have quit a long time ago
but when i think back to some of the memories, it is impossible to replace them

2 1/2 yrs ago i was just starting wow, i didnt know what a raid was, much less who the lich king was
now one of my fondest memories is being able to kill him with some good friends

if i am truly honest wth you and with my self
it is this site that keeps me interested in wow.
all the heated argu...discussions i have had with other MTadins, being there to congratulate raiders on world #2 kills, some of my stupid posts when i was just a young paladin, cutting my teeth on my shield

this site got me to where i understood tanking, grew to love the role, and helped me find my calling
its gone to the point that i am making tanks in almost every game i play now
if it has a spec that wheres thick armor, beats the crap out of stuff, and is basically the whipping boy for everyone else.....thats what im playing

all i can say is thank you MTadin
you all are why i keep playing this game, and what keeps me going when i need it

/salute

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby Aubade » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:37 am

bldavis wrote:all i can say is thank you MTadin
you all are why i keep playing this game, and what keeps me going when i need it

/salute

This kind of stuff makes me proud to be a part of this community.

<3 Bldavis.

I actually met someone from Mtadin in a random heroic tonight! Too bad I was just Qing for a guildie then leaving group. I felt like an ass
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Slavke » Thu Feb 17, 2011 1:40 am

Aubade wrote:I actually met someone from Mtadin in a random heroic tonight! Too bad I was just Qing for a guildie then leaving group. I felt like an ass

<-
Slavke

Postby bldavis » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:02 am

Aubade wrote:
bldavis wrote:all i can say is thank you MTadin

/salute

This kind of stuff makes me proud to be a part of this community.

<3 Bldavis.

I actually met someone from Mtadin in a random heroic tonight! Too bad I was just Qing for a guildie then leaving group. I felt like an ass

i have met random pug members that were posters here too
its a nice feeling, gettting a wsp halfway through a dungeon
"hey agaren, arent you a poster on MTadin?"

um ya....y?
OH IT IS YOU! hey its ____

and btw aubade, one of these days im going to make it to seattle so i can meet you irl

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby lythac » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:55 am

There should be a global meet up. Or two.

I think I continue to play as I wouldn't know what to do with all the spare time that would be thrust upon me.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Passionario » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:19 am

I play because the voices in my head tell me to.
If you are not the flame, you're the fuel.
Passionario

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:33 am

lythac wrote:I think I continue to play as I wouldn't know what to do with all the spare time that would be thrust upon me.

This is part of my problem. Don't get me wrong, I play for enjoyment and I do love playing my main characters, but sometimes I go "hmmm what else should I do?" and my mind just draws an utter blank.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:35 am

Slavke wrote:
Aubade wrote:I actually met someone from Mtadin in a random heroic tonight! Too bad I was just Qing for a guildie then leaving group. I felt like an ass

<-

Oh wow. Shame on you Aubade.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby katraya » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:02 am

I play for fun and amusement. I don't raid anymore and I can't get into pvp. Yet I still enjoy running around instances and leveling new toons. I have met a lot of wonderful people through this game but I don't play on the same server as most of my friends. Luckily between Real ID and email/chat I keep in touch with many of them.

I think I partially play out of habit. I have been doing this for 6 years (yikes!) and it has been integrated into my life.

This website is also a part of the reason I keep playing. It is interesting to learn about the raids I may never see and learn about the new things that are always coming. The off topic discussions are what keeps me coming here and it causes a vicious cycle that keeps me from logging out for good. :lol:
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Euphoria » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:39 am

I wrote a super long post about why I quit last year and the things that made me come back but I figured I could sum it up a lot faster with:

I quit because people are self-centered douchenozzles that care only about their own gratification and I came back because I have friends that play on a different server in a very small family oriented guild that didn't care if I even signed up for raids. Going from a semi-hardcore raiding guild (3 nights a week, attendance wasn't mandatory but was highly encouraged if you ever wanted loot) to a friends and family guild that doesn't have enough regular people to field a 10 man was the best thing I ever did in WoW. I heal arenas, tank heroics, and don't have to plan my life around raids anymore....And I have fun doing it.
Euphoria

Next

Return to General