Remove Advertisements

Any Video Editors out there?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Any Video Editors out there?

Postby Aubade » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:25 am

So, I've been tasked with making guild kill videos, which I enjoy. I've done some minor video editing back in high school (Yeah, like 8 years ago on an olddddd program.)
I've managed to nab myself a copy of Adobe After Effects CS3, and I've started watching some tutorials etc etc, and I only have a few questions.

1.) What do you use to compress videos? I've rendered my video in 720p, 1650x1050 size (My default monitor settings.) My only problem is this is a 10 minute Atramedes video that is 9.5 Gb... I don't have the available bandwidth (Curse you Comcast.) to upload videos that large to Youtube...

2.) What format do you suggest for rendering while still keeping at least a 720p HD setting for youtube? (All of the searches I did recommend Quicktime movies, export in H.264 lossless video.)

3.) Any Critique on this intro video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03U55a3pOPs
There's still some polishing I want to do on that intro, but it took me 3 hours to make THAT one, and I was tired last night >.<

Thanks for the input guys.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Re: Any Video Editors out there?

Postby PsiVen » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:09 am

You may have to experiment, but if you want an optimum resolution for HD uploads to youtube you will want to either play/record at 1152x720, or keep your native resolution and render it as 1680x1050. It's important that the resolution you play at is the same as the intended viewing, otherwise blurred text will make it look awful. Youtube should label the video as 1080p, but won't resize it.

I have had some success with DivX encoding in the past, but I have been unable to get it to work in 64-bit Vegas. So I now use WMV, which allows you to specify a target bitrate. I use 10Mbps, which produces 9min videos at just under 700MB. These are the exact render settings I've been using for 1080p videos (again, you'll want to render at 1680x1050):

Windows Media Audio 9.2, 192 kbps, 48 kHz, stereo (A/V) CBR
Windows Media Video 9, Image size: Custom (1920x1080), Pixel aspect ratio: 1.000 (Square)
Framerate: 29.97 (NTSC)
Video smoothness: 90 (Sharpest)
Bit rate: 10M

On the intro: The text effect is cool, but it repeats too long. Should be a flashy entrance and quickly fade away.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Aubade » Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:19 am

PsiVen wrote:You may have to experiment, but if you want an optimum resolution for HD uploads to youtube you will want to either play/record at 1152x720, or keep your native resolution and render it as 1680x1050. It's important that the resolution you play at is the same as the intended viewing, otherwise blurred text will make it look awful. Youtube should label the video as 1080p, but won't resize it.

I have had some success with DivX encoding in the past, but I have been unable to get it to work in 64-bit Vegas. So I now use WMV, which allows you to specify a target bitrate. I use 10Mbps, which produces 9min videos at just under 700MB. These are the exact render settings I've been using for 1080p videos (again, you'll want to render at 1680x1050):

Windows Media Audio 9.2, 192 kbps, 48 kHz, stereo (A/V) CBR
Windows Media Video 9, Image size: Custom (1920x1080), Pixel aspect ratio: 1.000 (Square)
Framerate: 29.97 (NTSC)
Video smoothness: 90 (Sharpest)
Bit rate: 10M

On the intro: The text effect is cool, but it repeats too long. Should be a flashy entrance and quickly fade away.

Thanks for the reply PsiVen, I did some more messing around today and found that exporting to a .MP4 file with XviD encoding seemed to work quite well for me although I still want to up the quality a bit, so I think I'll try that suggestion next time I get some free time. I also need to get better at CS3 Haha. I did manage to get my video down to 2Gb and got it uploaded so for now I can /sigh and rest easy, but raid night's tomorrow so I'll have some new stuff to tackle.

that's what I've been getting often with the intro, I also want to do something with the scrolling texts at the bottom but I don't want to go over the top like "Ooh look at my fancy effects i'm going to overuse the crap out of them" While not having the boring pan across the screen.

This is the video I finished by the way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbwoF7cZBxo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbwoF7cZBxo
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Invisusira » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:45 am

Aubade wrote:(All of the searches I did recommend Quicktime movies, export in H.264 lossless video.)

All the searches you did are correct. You can even drop the quality down to about ~75% or so before it gets noticeable.
Invisusira

Return to General