Remove Advertisements

Tips to Make Your Guild Awesome

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Tips to Make Your Guild Awesome

Postby eia » Sun Feb 13, 2011 5:51 pm

My guild got formed in time for cata by a group of people who have played together more or less since launch. We had started small but merged with several other guilds to raid 40s. We finally got fed up with large-guild drama so we split out and formed a 10-man guild to just have fun with friends.
We are a pretty immature bunch, even if our members are almost all 30-45 yo.
We are good friends though and most of the time the problem we have looting are people refusing to take upgrades because they feel it is better for someone else.
I realise this is not the norm though, but I are more happy in wow now than I have been in a long time.
Guess what I am trying to say is to find people who wants the same as you out of the game and that you like and the rest will follow.
"It takes two to cuddle."
eia

Postby Mcduffie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:02 pm

One thing that seems to be an issue for us right now is shaking off the cobwebs. Our guild likes getting into these "comfort zones" and not getting out of them. If raiding isn't easy, everyone gets upset and loses focus. It's also really difficult to get people to do what they're supposed to (gearing properly, not standing in fire, etc.) because of that "comfort zone" mindset.

"The 9 bosses we have on farm are easy, I like doing these bosses."
"I don't like doing the 3 that we haven't downed yet, because they're difficult."
"I like PvP because there's no down side to failing at it."

^These are things I'm just reading into. Not things people have actually said. Though I have heard things like "why are we wasting our time on THIS" in reference to Al'Akir. Or a huge drop in morale because we only got 1 out of the 2 progression bosses down we wanted in a night. It's frustrating to see people get so obliterated from failure. I've failed a lot. In game, and in real life. I've always learned to take something from that experience, and to not count it as an actual "failure."

How do I stop this?
Mcduffie

Postby Brekkie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:05 pm

Or a huge drop in morale because we only got 1 out of the 2 progression bosses down we wanted in a night. It's frustrating to see people get so obliterated from failure.

I think this statement says volumes about the state of the game.
Theckhd wrote:big numbers are the in-game way of expressing that Brekkie's penis is huge.
Brekkie

Postby Mcduffie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:00 pm

Brekkie wrote:
Or a huge drop in morale because we only got 1 out of the 2 progression bosses down we wanted in a night. It's frustrating to see people get so obliterated from failure.

Not following.
Mcduffie

Postby Levantine » Mon Feb 14, 2011 7:04 pm

Killing a progression boss can be counted as a failure of a raid.
Levantine

Postby Aubade » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:58 pm

Brekkie wrote:

You also haven't met our guild >.<
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Chasey » Wed Feb 16, 2011 2:14 am

I did a lot of reading in this thread and I gotta say seems like TWO very giant things stood out.

Respect for others.

Setting Goals and hoping everyone is sharing those goals.

These two things are very lacking in the game today in general, so if you find yourself in a guild that really follows these...condsider yourself lucky! :D
Chasey

Postby Gaxby » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:38 am

Chasey wrote:Respect for others.

Just remember that respect is earned, never deserved. :)
Gaxby, Energizer Pally of Grim Batol
Gaxby

Postby culhag » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:32 am

Gaxby wrote:
Chasey wrote:Respect for others.

Just remember that respect is earned, never deserved. :)

So you start without any respect for the people you meet, until they earn it ?

No, respect is deserved. It can be lost, though.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Bladesong » Wed Mar 09, 2011 4:56 pm

My issue with younger raiders is that they aren't in control of their lives. Taking a 20 minute break from a raid because one of your best healers' mom made him do the dishes blows. Yeah, older raiders occasionally pull spouse aggro or have a kid emergency: "he ate a WHAT?!?!? :shock: " but those tend to be less frequent and of shorter duration when they happen.
Bladesong

Postby Skye1013 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:39 am

Why don't parents understand Raid > Life/Chores? :roll:

That being said, I don't think my parents would have allowed me to play long enough to make today's Heroic as a DPS times, much less for any attempts to raid.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:21 am

Skye1013 wrote:Why don't parents understand Raid > Life/Chores? :roll:

Would parents expect you to leave a football game and make your team (and the other team) wait because you had to wash dishes or do chores? :roll:

We're probably atypical parents because we don't draw a distinction between playing a team sport and raiding with a guild. In either situation you've made a commitment to be there for the team/guild; not honoring commitments is not acceptable in our household.

My wife was really excited when she found a Princeton Review class for our son that didn't conflict with his raid schedule. My wife is also fucking awesome.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:48 am

Hah! That's amazing!
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby thatguy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:49 am

fuzzygeek wrote:Would parents expect you to leave a football game and make your team (and the other team) wait because you had to wash dishes or do chores? :roll:

That's a really poor analogy. Commitment to a team sport/real life activity is entirely different than a commitment to a video game.
thatguy

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:54 am

thatguy wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:Would parents expect you to leave a football game and make your team (and the other team) wait because you had to wash dishes or do chores? :roll:

That's a really poor analogy. Commitment to a team sport/real life activity is entirely different than a commitment to a video game.

No, it's really not. Just like a sports team expects you to be there in order to play the game, the same is to be said about raiding.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to General