Remove Advertisements

Tips to Make Your Guild Awesome

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Tips to Make Your Guild Awesome

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:59 am

We were /roll until it almost destroyed our guild from all the loot whoring in Naxx. The officers pretty much went "FUCK YOU WE'RE GOING TO DKP" and from then on there haven't been a single moaning about loot (aside from the (boooohooo my stuff won't drop" comments). Sometimes I think it's overkill in a ten man guild, but there's always some person who's going to moan that they've been to 100% of raids and that the person who attended 5% of raids shouldn't get loot priority.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:02 pm

Nikachelle wrote:We were /roll until it almost destroyed our guild from all the loot whoring in Naxx. The officers pretty much went "FUCK YOU WE'RE GOING TO DKP" and from then on there haven't been a single moaning about loot (aside from the (boooohooo my stuff won't drop" comments). Sometimes I think it's overkill in a ten man guild, but there's always some person who's going to moan that they've been to 100% of raids and that the person who attended 5% of raids shouldn't get loot priority.

Yeah, need/greed rolling puts the group at the mercy of the Prisoner's Dilemma. And there's always someone who's going to be a greedy little prick and roll on things repeatedly even if they've already got good upgrades.

DKP has its downsides in that the rich-get-richer. EGP seems to work better as it is more of a 'what have you done for us lately' though we have used a Suicide Kings version of DKP that seems to work very well.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:04 pm

Njall wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:We were /roll until it almost destroyed our guild from all the loot whoring in Naxx. The officers pretty much went "FUCK YOU WE'RE GOING TO DKP" and from then on there haven't been a single moaning about loot (aside from the (boooohooo my stuff won't drop" comments). Sometimes I think it's overkill in a ten man guild, but there's always some person who's going to moan that they've been to 100% of raids and that the person who attended 5% of raids shouldn't get loot priority.

Yeah, need/greed rolling puts the group at the mercy of the Prisoner's Dilemma. And there's always someone who's going to be a greedy little prick and roll on things repeatedly even if they've already got good upgrades.

DKP has its downsides in that the rich-get-richer. EGP seems to work better as it is more of a 'what have you done for us lately' though we have used a Suicide Kings version of DKP that seems to work very well.

DKP with a cap (which we are) works out well for that. In 10 raids you can reach dkp cap with us.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Shathus » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:30 pm

Our 10 man we started is just doing the need/greed roll (aka "Don't be a dick") and it's worked out well enough. Most of us are friends have been raiding awhile so that tends to help out. It hasn't really been much of an issue, but we've had trouble filling our 10th slot a lot (had a rotating cast of healers), but I don't think we've really lost any gear to someone who then ditched us. Expect for one druid who ended up with a BoE that went to OS since no one else needed it. (Basically just lost us money for the gbank).

My old guild did 25s with a open need/greed rolls and it was one of the issues that caused us to break off. We were constantly having new people in the raid, win some item then never show up/gquit later which got real old quick.

I had thought about doing a EPGP system for us, but for 10 man where there's just not a whole lot of shared (MS) loot, it just didn't seem worth it. But it all depends on your guild environment
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:25 am

Nikachelle wrote:Worked wonders for me. I went from being a raider in a guild where we could start an HOUR after raid "start" time, to being a raid leader that has everyone online and at the stone, fifteen minutes before raid start time. In fact, sometimes they're so good about being online that our first pull is ten minutes before the official start time.

To add on to my comment here. This is how efficient with "on time" my guild is now: We have a 10 pm raid that usually lasts an hour to do farm content so that we have more progression time on the weekend. I'd decided we were only doing Conclave because we'd only just downed the fight the previous week and figured it would take some time for everyone to remember everything. Invites at quarter to raid time, buffed and ready within 10 minutes to raid time. Pulled boss. Boss down at 2 minutes to raid start time. <3 <3 <3
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:00 am

We've always been a /roll group with a heavy focus on "don't be a dick."

It has worked pretty much perfectly for 3+ years for us.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:02 am

Flex wrote:We've always been a /roll group with a heavy focus on "don't be a dick."

What's the age of your youngest raider?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:06 am

Nikachelle wrote:
Flex wrote:We've always been a /roll group with a heavy focus on "don't be a dick."

Somewhere between 22 to 24.

Anyone who subs with us gets the same treatment even for highly desired items, like trinkets and weapons.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:06 am

Nikachelle wrote:

Pretty sure age isn't the deciding factor... a better question might be:
"What is the maturity level of your most immature raider?"

But even then, I've known some pretty immature people, that aren't also greedy. Maybe:
"How cutthroat is your greediest raider?"
would best suit the scenario.

Edit: Formatting
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:10 am

Flex wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:

Somewhere between 22 to 24.

Anyone who subs with us gets the same treatment even for highly desired items, like trinkets and weapons.

Yeah that explains it. In Naxx we had 15 year old raiders who would try to take every single piece of loot they could. Hence the implementation of dkp.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:12 am

Skye1013 wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:

Pretty sure age isn't the deciding factor... a better question might be:
"What is the maturity level of your most immature raider?"

But even then, I've known some pretty immature people, that aren't also greedy. Maybe:
"How cutthroat is your greediest raider?"
would best suit the scenario.

Edit: Formatting

Meh. While I acknowledge there are plenty of mature, younger age raiders - Age is still a common factor when deciding someone's maturity. Many guilds don't even accept people under the age of 18 and they certainly don't ask "So... how mature are you?" They ask "What is your age?"
Last edited by Nikachelle on Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:12 am

Have Barathorn in your guild. That is all.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:14 am

I agree that age generally dictates maturity, but to me, it's about the same as asking someone's gearscore to determine how skilled they are at content.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Chunes » Fri Feb 11, 2011 1:38 pm

Skye1013 wrote:I agree that age generally dictates maturity, but to me, it's about the same as asking someone's gearscore to determine how skilled they are at content.

I think this is a pretty good analogy. We had this kid in our guild back in vanilla I think that was named Jinsus. I think he was like 12 but he fucking acted like an 18yo so we all enjoyed his company.

Conversely, most of the 16yo/s I've had in guild with me acted like the typical 12yo. So it's not a hard and fast rule, but the numbers are not in the 12yo's favor.
Chunes

Postby Mcduffie » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:22 pm

As far as age goes, you have to make a quick decision. A player can tell you they're "good" or "mature" or "respectful of your rules." But you can't expect honest answers to those questions. Because they'll all be the same.

"Yes, I'm awesome."

"Oh yeah, I'm really mature."

"Of course I'll be respectful of your rules."

However, if you run a quick heroic with them, you get a better idea of how good they are. If you know their age, you get a better idea of their maturity. If you kick them if they don't follow the rules, well...

I don't have the time to spend all my time getting to know each individual player for weeks on end to figure out if they're mature, or excellent players even. I need to know while looking at their app. Thus, age requirement. Our guild is open to all ages, but a 12-17 year old would have a longer time getting in to our raids than anyone else.
Mcduffie

PreviousNext

Return to General