Remove Advertisements

Tips to Make Your Guild Awesome

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Tips to Make Your Guild Awesome

Postby Blackharon » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:47 am

Nikachelle wrote:Then someone, preferably someone in charge, needs to talk to the person and explain that constant whinging isn't helping their case and that they are presenting themselves poorly and it's having a negative effect on guild atmosphere.

Although, speaking from experience, very few people actually LISTEN to you when you tell them this and they think you're not being serious. Then they get booted and it's like they've never had any amount of warning. :roll:

Or they only start listening after the boot. We gkicked a DK for constantly QQing in /g and gemming intellect cause it made his diseases bigger.

After kicking him (after he got several letters and whispers in game) he whispered me "Wat no! Take me back! I can change! See I'm buying gems now! [gem link]"
The Cat's out of the bag!
Pickpawcket for iPhone and iPad
http://www.pickpawcket.com
Blackharon

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:58 am

Very much. They DO only listen after the boot. And they do an amazing job of making you feel guilty afterwards, even though they've made you feel like shit (and a lot of other people as well) for months prior to the kicking.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Tev » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:09 am

As a Guild/Raid leader, don't be wishy washy, have patience, and learn to adapt.

I had a guild I was in get nowhere in a Khara encounter because he refused to do anything different, because "This was how XYZ uberleet guild did it, this is how we will do it." After 4 more wipes from the same issue we pretty much gave up and left the RL to do his own damn thing.
Best part was next week he was still raging about the previous week so he didn't raid, we changed the strat and nailed the encounter. He resigned from being a raid leader and we had a nice long streak of success after that. This is where I turned from hating Khara with a passion to having it be one of my all time favorite raids.
Tev

Postby Mcduffie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:21 am

Raid leading is hard. And having people that undermine the raid leader with things like "we shouldn't do it this way, we should do it THIS way" is frustrating. Especially when the RL has seen that his strat works, and has spent hours going over all available options.

Granted, I don't know your situation. But I know it's frustrating when I have Joeshmo suggesting "hey, let's tank him over here so we don't get xyz" and having to explain why he's wrong.

Basically, trust your raid leader. Keep your faith in him. If you don't, it'll get you killed. If you have sound advice, add it. But if your "sound advice" is just a knee-jerk thought, keep it to yourself.
Mcduffie

Postby Njall » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:22 am

Kara (and 10 mans in general) taught me how to be a good raider. There's no wiggle room for carrying an incompetent in a 10 man like there is in 25 man and 40 man content.

Naxx, however, made us all stupid again. I miss Kara. It was just elegant with a breathtaking atmosphere. A bit too big, perhaps but still it was a wonderful environment to repeatedly die in.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:28 am

Mcduffie wrote:Raid leading is hard. And having people that undermine the raid leader with things like "we shouldn't do it this way, we should do it THIS way" is frustrating. Especially when the RL has seen that his strat works, and has spent hours going over all available options.

Granted, I don't know your situation. But I know it's frustrating when I have Joeshmo suggesting "hey, let's tank him over here so we don't get xyz" and having to explain why he's wrong.

Basically, trust your raid leader. Keep your faith in him. If you don't, it'll get you killed. If you have sound advice, add it. But if your "sound advice" is just a knee-jerk thought, keep it to yourself.

Meh, yes and no. I raid lead, and I appreciate input from my raiders. I look up strats just like everyone else, but if I suggest something and they think it's wrong, I'd like to hear it, along with an explanation of why, or what could work better. Raiding is a collaborative effort and no one is ALWAYS RIGHT NO MATTER WHAT. The raid leader is no exception to this. That being said, a raider is not to voice their opinion mid-battle. Between battles, sure, but mid-fight when the RL may be trying to give instruction is just poor timing and thoughtless.

I don't think it's undermining to suggest why an RL might be wrong. It's only undermining/demeaning if you perceive it that way.
Last edited by Nikachelle on Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Mcduffie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:34 am

Mebbe I put that poorly.

I have seen people mention strategies. I'll say "no, we're not doing it that way." And I always have a good reason why we're not doing it that way. Which I usually explain. But when the strategy that person offered isn't used, they start standing in fire. Or just completely underperforming.

If someone else wants the reins, go for it. You are very welcome to raid lead away. But don't give me little strategies that you've put no effort into, and then underperform when I don't use them.

I've even had situations where I said "Ok, we'll do it your way." And just fail to it over and over again to prove a point. Though, I'm mean that way.
Mcduffie

Postby katraya » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:40 am

Back when I actually was involved in raid management (MC/BWL days) the rule was that you didn't argue strats over vent. If you wanted to discuss something with the raid leader you did it in tells or on the raid forums before or after the raid. Of course, we worked in a three guild coalition which made it even more complicated than it might otherwise be.

No leader is infallible of course, but constantly arguing with them isn't good for morale. It can also be a big time waster.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Mcduffie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:44 am

katraya wrote:Back when I actually was involved in raid management (MC/BWL days) the rule was that you didn't argue strats over vent. If you wanted to discuss something with the raid leader you did it in tells or on the raid forums before or after the raid. Of course, we worked in a three guild coalition which made it even more complicated than it might otherwise be.

No leader is infallible of course, but constantly arguing with them isn't good for morale. It can also be a big time waster.

^THIS^
I suck at expressing myself today. I'll just let you do it for me.
Mcduffie

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:49 am

Oh my god... I disagree so badly. The last thing I want when leading is having people whisper me with strat ideas while we're raiding. If you have an idea? Volunteer it IN Vent when I ask for it. Don't spent ten minutes whispering me while we're about to pull. In fact, whispering a raid leader with complaints, comments, strats was so bad in Wrath that we actively made it a rule to NOT whisper the RL during a raid. You want to say something? Speak up in Vent.

I don't think working out strats is "arguing" either. It's just "why don't we try this, this time?"
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby katraya » Fri Feb 04, 2011 11:57 am

Nikachelle wrote:Oh my god... I disagree so badly. The last thing I want when leading is having people whisper me with strat ideas while we're raiding. If you have an idea? Volunteer it IN Vent when I ask for it. Don't spent ten minutes whispering me while we're about to pull. In fact, whispering a raid leader with complaints, comments, strats was so bad in Wrath that we actively made it a rule to NOT whisper the RL during a raid. You want to say something? Speak up in Vent.

I don't think working out strats is "arguing" either. It's just "why don't we try this, this time?"

it may vary based on the group you're with. Your team might work well that way and have respect for you. The situation we had was...not that way. All you need is one or two know-it-alls in love with the sound of their own voice and everything goes to poop.
katraya
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:01 pm

Ah okay. Generally, we don't tend to have people that are argumentative like that. There have been a few, but none to the point where they are actively arguing with me and getting everyone riled up. The only time I had someone directly pick a fight with me, I muted them on Vent after I told them where to shove it.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Shoju » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:01 pm

I think I'm in an awesome guild. We may not be "awesome" at progression, but we are awesome. Here is what I love about my guild. My guild is awesome merely by being good people. We have developed a culture and we stand by it. We don't deviate from the culture, and we don't rule with an iron fist.

The <Lurkers> guilds were a strong presence when I became a Lurker, and I would like to think that we have only become better as time went on.
Shoju

Postby Aubade » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:05 pm

1.) Scream at everyone until they do what you want.
2.) Scream some more.
3.) ????
4.) Profit!

But seriously, some good tips in here.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Mcduffie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:08 pm

Aubade wrote:1.) Scream at everyone until they do what you want.
2.) Scream some more.
3.) ????
4.) Profit!

But seriously, some good tips in here.

There are times when I wish I could do this so bad.
Mcduffie

PreviousNext

Return to General