How do you handle beggars?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: How do you handle beggars?

Postby halabar » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:58 pm

Kelaan wrote:
sherck wrote:That is seriously funny. The mining pick, heh.

pick up mining and herbing and by level 12 I typically have 20 or 30 gold in my pocket from selling my stuff.

It's not hard, but some players may be just new enough that they don't know. If so, BUYING THEM a pick (awesome) and saying "go mine+herb, sell them on the Auction House. I can help you determine what is a good price" is both helpful and an amusing response if they are genuinely a beggar.

I guess i'm lucky that I've almost never been begged for gold, so I can spend the time to be nice when I do.

It's usually easy to tell the beggars from the fresh toons or those that are doing some AH moves and don't have any coins on that lvl 1 alt. I've helped people that actually knew what they were doing, and on a few occasions have been handsomely rewarded later on.

But I haven't seen any of the true beggars requesting gold in a long time, other than the trade spammers.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:00 pm

Amirya wrote:I've tried the no without the ignore.

I've had far too many be persistent. "But you're in endgame gear/have epic flying/are an engineer/other lame excuse! It's only <whatever amount they want>, and it's only for <whatever they wanted it for>!"

I got tired of the, "I understand that, but I said no, and I will not repeat myself."

Oh I don't respond to them after the "No". The few tells they may send me after the "No" don't bother me enough to /ignore them. They rarely send more than 1 or 2 messages before they get the clue you are not responding.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Invisusira » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:04 pm

"yeah sure but whisper (insert friend/enemy name), he's got my gold atm"
Invisusira

Postby Dantriges » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:53 pm

I actually gave someone gold because he said he can´t even afford a bag, then he just gave me 3125g, because he wanted to erased the toon and knew no one anymore on the server. So he wanted to give his gold to the first person who was nice.

That guy got flames for 20 minutes in trade, I recently started a toon on a new server who is as poor as a pauper and somehow I had mercy and could spare the gold for a bag.

Was the first time in years I actually responded to a beg. Normally I don´t respond at all.
Dantriges

Postby Chunes » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:03 pm

I open trade, put some amount of gold in and then slowly backpedal and see how far I can drag them. The farthest I've made it was from the undercity to the gate to arathi highlands before they got killed by a raptor that was much higher level than they were.
Chunes

Postby Amirya » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:12 pm

Koatanga wrote:
Amirya wrote:I've tried the no without the ignore.

I've had far too many be persistent. "But you're in endgame gear/have epic flying/are an engineer/other lame excuse! It's only <whatever amount they want>, and it's only for <whatever they wanted it for>!"

I got tired of the, "I understand that, but I said no, and I will not repeat myself."

Oh I don't respond to them after the "No". The few tells they may send me after the "No" don't bother me enough to /ignore them. They rarely send more than 1 or 2 messages before they get the clue you are not responding.

You have nice beggars.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:13 pm

Chunes wrote:I open trade, put some amount of gold in and then slowly backpedal and see how far I can drag them. The farthest I've made it was from the undercity to the gate to arathi highlands before they got killed by a raptor that was much higher level than they were.

now this is epic lols
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby halabar » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:41 pm

Dantriges wrote:I actually gave someone gold because he said he can´t even afford a bag, then he just gave me 3125g, because he wanted to erased the toon and knew no one anymore on the server. So he wanted to give his gold to the first person who was nice.

I might do that when I finally quit this game..
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Jaitee » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:27 pm

oepn trade put gold in dont click trade when they say click trade tell them its not working because they have trading from others disabled tell them to type /camp and enable trading from others....fyi /camp is basically the same as /logout
got a guy to log out about 5-6 times kept telling him that its because hes in to crowded part of org move to another after the 6th time he finally caught onto my plan lol

and now that i have a 85 rogue i want to try doing some tricks of the trading gamon onto lowbies...though i dont think u can cast tricks on people below a certain level so itll only work on higher levels and most 85s cant handle gamons power
Jaitee

Postby sahiel » Wed Jan 26, 2011 12:27 am

I have no idea how people believe this but... I tell them "I got killed by a ton of mobs earlier and they took all my gold, if you go out and kill them you can keep 50% of it, just mail the rest back please :)"

Over the last year or so I must have had a dozen or more actually mail me gold, one guy kept at it for 4 days before I felt sorry for him, sent it all back and asked him to stop >.<
"Definition: Love is making a connection with another person against long odds."
"Clarification: Love is making a shot to the knees of a target 300 kilometers away using an Aratech sniper rifle with a tri-light scope."
-HK-47
WoW Millionaire
sahiel
Maintankadonor

Postby culhag » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:14 am

We don't have beggars on my server.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:58 am

sahiel wrote:I have no idea how people believe this but... I tell them "I got killed by a ton of mobs earlier and they took all my gold, if you go out and kill them you can keep 50% of it, just mail the rest back please :)"

Over the last year or so I must have had a dozen or more actually mail me gold, one guy kept at it for 4 days before I felt sorry for him, sent it all back and asked him to stop >.<

That's just...wow...

I usually give them some ideas for obtaining gold for themselves... they usually thank me and move on (probably begging someone else.) I figure if they're truly a new player and just don't really know how to make gold, then I've helped them. If not, well, they aren't bugging me anymore.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:51 am

The mining pick is epic.

Though, I usually just reply "In the time it took you to write this message, you could have done a quest and gained 10x as the amount of gold I would give you".
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby benebarba » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:51 am

when someone yells "Can someone give me X G?" , I've yelled back "Yes, probably everyone here.". Same for the guy who asked in SW "Who can level a toon to 60?", answer: "Anyone." Grammar FTW (even if I suck at it myself :P)!

my favorite was the low level toon (maybe level 1-5, I forget) that asked for something like 100 G. It reminds me of a panhandler asking for 20 bucks on the street a couple years back. I really wanted to say "you're new at this aren't you?"
benebarba

Postby Rachmaninoff » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:39 am

Chunes wrote:I open trade, put some amount of gold in and then slowly backpedal and see how far I can drag them. The farthest I've made it was from the undercity to the gate to arathi highlands before they got killed by a raptor that was much higher level than they were.

I'm going to find a beggar and do this
Rachmaninoff

PreviousNext

Return to General