How is prot for day-to-day solo play these days?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

How is prot for day-to-day solo play these days?

Postby rodos » Sun Jan 23, 2011 11:40 pm

I'm thinking about dropping my ret spec for prot, in order to be more flexible in my (small, casual, tank-poor) guild.

Before I spend gold to respec & reglyph and to gem & enchant my banked prot set, I'm wondering if running around with only holy (without the dps talents) and prot specs is going to leave me frustrated when it comes to dailies. Killing things as holy without Denounce and Blazing Light is torturous, so I'd have to use prot.
rodos

Re: How is prot for day-to-day solo play these days?

Postby knaughty » Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:52 am

I'm prot/prot. I do dailies in tanking gear. Works fine, I'm back to AoE grinding quest mobs. EG: Twilight Highlands dailies I just land in a town and kill the half-dozen dwarves. If another four run in while I'm tanking the first 4-5, I'll switch to WoG just to be safe.

Just don't try that in greens - I'm in roughly half epic gear at this point.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby econ21 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 2:23 am

I really like soloing as prot. With seal of insight and WoG, you never run out of mana and are very rarely in danger of dying. There are many tedious "kill X mob" dailies in Tol Barad and I like to ride around, aggroing a bunch and then AOE them down. Our AOE damage seems pretty weak, so it's not speeding things up that much but it does make it more fun by injecting an element of danger. Plus soloing 3-man recommended elites (Problim, Tank) is effortless.
econ21

Postby Zonzede » Mon Jan 24, 2011 3:39 am

My thoughts pretty much echo what Knaughty and Econ said before me. Prot has no trouble soloing any sort of quest, and even has advantages in the AoE department over other classes; this is especially true when significant gear comes into play. You shouldn't have issues AoEing once you're Heroic geared, but becoming overwhelmed is still a concern. Once you hit a handful of Epics your AoE damage will jump significantly, as you can devote more HP to Inquisition instead of WoG.
Zonzede

Postby Hiroko » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:17 am

Can only add to what the others have said. Now that I'm getting better prot gear I tend to stay prot most of the time, despite having a ret offspec. Got some hit/exp pieces that I swap in to make things a little faster but it is nice to drop in on a group and just aoe them, especially in Tol Barad for ghosts, villagers, spiders etc. Was glad I stayed prot for archeology last night when, after loads of digs in low-level areas ignoring mobs, I got a site in Twighlight Highlands without realising and dropped in to a group of 6 mobs...

Give it a go imo
Hiroko

Postby Winkle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:18 am

I find solo'ing Maggy for 500G is a nice "weekly" :D
Winkle

Postby claisa » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:03 am

Much better than holy

Get a second shield with shield spike, chuck on some dps gear, put up ret aura, grab mobs and hammer of rightous to victory.
claisa

Postby lythac » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:22 am

I find prot OK for soloing for dailies.

I quite like the Therazane daily picking up the miracle bag growth thingy. Pick up around 12 mobs who are already clustered together, use CDs, Inq at start, 12 dead mobs and 15k DPS later you should get the bag.

Winkle wrote:I find solo'ing Maggy for 500G is a nice "weekly" :D

You should add in Leo and Hydross to that and make it 1000g. Both are simple enough, phase changing Leo requires some planning and CDs at the end.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Rachmaninoff » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:42 am

Winkle wrote:I find solo'ing Maggy for 500G is a nice "weekly" :D

hmmmm, I'll have to try this... but when I went to do Kara to get first boss down the other day it wouldn't let me zone it. I did what I always do, had my brother join group, he switches toons, I switch to raid, and it didn't let me in... bug? or did they change something?
Rachmaninoff

Postby Mannstein » Mon Jan 24, 2011 7:49 am

Ok, you can start to flame me... :P

I'm retri MS and i do all my dailies on Prot offspec :D

To be honest i can't understand what the advantage to do the dailies in retri.. kill 1mob is faster, but two mobs is the same, 3 mobs you are dead...

TO OP:
If you don't have the gear why don't you do dailies with holy offspec? just put denounce into your offspec
It's fun... Especialy on the World PvP
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein

Postby Shoju » Mon Jan 24, 2011 8:13 am

Mag keeps bugging out on me and despawning, so I just stick to Garr for my binding (3 years.... 3 years.... GOD I HATE YOU GARR), Attumen for my mount (2 years.... ugh), and then I go beat the ZA timer for giggles. I pull all the trash, I loot it all, and I come up with about 1k in gold from ZA after beating the timers, and then cakewalking through malacrass and zul'jin.

I haven't tried Leo and hydross yet, but I'm thinking about giving Hyjal a go and see how far I can get. I still need to max that rep, so it would be fun to give it a try.

Prot is great. I do everything that has been mentioned in this thread, and I'm not half epic. My Prot set is showing as ilvl349 avg on the Armory. Hell, I'm still using EXP/Stam gems because parry/stam is ~500g a piece right now.
Shoju

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:32 am

ret > *

it is the best spec.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Senador » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:34 am

I haven't tried Leo and hydross yet, but I'm thinking about giving Hyjal a go and see how far I can get. I still need to max that rep, so it would be fun to give it a try.

I used to do Hyjal to solo rep back in Wrath, and would make it to the Abominations in wave six. The stuns would finish me off though. While I could probably make it through them now (Haven’t tried), I thought Rage’s Ice Bolt thing was percentage based, like Kel’thuzad’s and would still kill you solo.

I do all my dailies as Prot. It’s much more convenient doing Tol Barad dailies that way, as in the sub dungeon things you can pretty much gather as much as you want and the fast respawn won’t kill you. Gathering up most of the mobs needed for those wonderful “Kill 10 mobs” dailies (Leftovers, Not the Friendliest Town, etc) make it go much faster. You can also do it to snag Baradin Foxes into your AoE for a shot at the pet too without having to do extra killing.
Senador

Postby KysenMurrin » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:14 am

lythac wrote:I quite like the Therazane daily picking up the miracle bag growth thingy. Pick up around 12 mobs who are already clustered together, use CDs, Inq at start, 12 dead mobs and 15k DPS later you should get the bag.

Slight tangent, but for that quest I just go to the first Trogg I see, stay mounted, and land and take off a couple of times until it casts the buff on itself on aggro. Guaranteed drop when it does that.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Kelaan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:29 pm

I do my dailies as prot in ret gear (w/ shield). It seems to work well. I get 2x-3x adds frequently enough that Not Dying seems to help ease my peace of mind. It's probably still slower than ret, though, and I use Ret for questing out zones I haven't finished.
Kelaan

Next

Return to General