Leatherworking/Skinning in Cataclysm

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Leatherworking/Skinning in Cataclysm

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:59 am

Is anyone else having massive problems leveling this? My shaman is 83 but there's been so very little skin in the zones so far that I'm really not sure what to do. I ended up paying 500g just to buy some leather off the AH so I could just level the bloody profession from 458 to 471! But that doesn't seem very productive. Is there a zone that has an excellent ratio of skinnables? I have yet to touch Uldum or Twilight Highlands on her and have only finished up Mount Hyjal and Deepholm. Both of which have been perfectly awful for skinning.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Re: Leatherworking/Skinning in Cataclysm

Postby arrigo » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:08 am

Yeah seems like there isn't a Nagrand like zone in the expac, in terms of things to skin I saw quite a few people skinning all my dragonkin kills in TH. On a related note was sad to see that the worgen in duskwood are no longer skinnable on my new rogue.
arrigo

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:12 am

arrigo wrote:Yeah seems like there isn't a Nagrand like zone in the expac, in terms of things to skin I saw quite a few people skinning all my dragonkin kills in TH. On a related note was sad to see that the worgen in duskwood are no longer skinnable on my new rogue.

I was really wanting to take my skinner to Tol Barad just to skin all the crocs after everyone completes the dailies because there are usually HUNDREDS left there, but unfortunately the portal isn't usable until 85. :(
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:15 am

I see a lot of people going up and down the river delta in Uldum skinning all the croc kills people leave behind.

Other than that I haven't noticed a good skinning zone.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Njall » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:18 am

Barathorn wrote:I see a lot of people going up and down the river delta in Uldum skinning all the croc kills people leave behind.

Other than that I haven't noticed a good skinning zone.

I have been getting some good results in Mt. Hyjall where all the Corehounds and Basalisks are. Lots of questers, or there were, leaving lots of corpses. Also, there seem to be skinners up in TH up where the wolves and elk are (north of the "Beer Run" daily). I also got some skinning through doing BRC but I suppose that's not a lot of material - though Beauty does have a good chance at a Pristine.

That said, I usually get my leatherworking done at Northbound Leather but that's enough about me! :D
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:22 am

I just find it really awkward that there isn't enough "kill x number of beasts" quests this expansion to compensate for the fact that there is so little to skin. I don't remember running into these types of problems previously and had hoped that leveling LW would come naturally with leveling. It seems that that is not the case.

Thanks for the zones you've mentioned. I'll see if I can do some flybys.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby thatguy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:44 am

Here are some spots that I've frequented:

Twilight Highlands Petrified Tree area with the drakes (sit on top of the tree and fire lightning bolts to aggro them)
Vash'jir in the first area where you have to kill 8 of the snakes/eels by the boat.
Uldum - mangy hyenas/camels either close to where you first run into Harrison Jones or west of the river

While not totally feasible to solo as Enhance, the tiger handlers (first two mobs in the instance) in Lost City of Tol'vir have some good skins. Grab a friend and focus fire down the handler and mop up the tigers. Zone out and reset.
thatguy

Postby Epimer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:45 am

My girlfriend's shaman is level 83, and is 525 skinning and 471 leatherworking. She did Vashj'ir and is partway through Deepholm just now; most of the skinning skill-ups were from Vashj'ir mobs, as Deepholm is a bit light on skinnable mobs, and a large number of those were from skinning other peoples' mobs that were left behind.
Epimer

Postby Gerunna » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:50 am

I maxed out skinning in the first couple of days after the xpac launch just from the massive piles of leftover corpses in a couple of questing spots: the dragonkin area in Hyjal you're sent to by the questgivers at the Shrine of Avianna, and the crabs outside the shipwreck where you start (Horde-side at least) in Vashj'ir. Of course that will be a bit tougher now that there aren't so many people in those areas.

Deepholm was awesome before they nerfed the stone bats, so now when I need to do some skinning I'll go after the owls / wolves / griffons / elks in northeast Twilight Highlands.
ImageImage
Gerunna

Postby halabar » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:09 am

On the PTR there are MANY more scorpids and hyenas in Uldum.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Flex » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:20 pm

Places that I spent lots of time at skinning on my rogue was in Hyjal at Sethria's Roost the dragons respawn fast and skin to one leather. Also the southern tip of The Pale Roost with all of the Basilisks.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby rodos » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:20 am

thatguy wrote:While not totally feasible to solo as Enhance, the tiger handlers (first two mobs in the instance) in Lost City of Tol'vir have some good skins. Grab a friend and focus fire down the handler and mop up the tigers. Zone out and reset.

Pretty sure the handler is susceptible to CC*. You should be able to hex the handler and kill the tigers.

*I went in as ret to see if it was a feasible solo rep farm. Repented the handler, killed tigers, healed then took on the handler. I killed him fine but it was too slow to be useful rep.
rodos

Postby Dimarato » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:43 am

Even with the stonebats no longer being skinnable I still like Deepholm. The Shalehide Basilisks there can be easily killed/skinned and there's usually lots of em (avoid the ones with troggs when possible). If you fly a bit up north / northwest from where they are you can sometimes score a couple of free drakes to skin if someone's questing in the area.
Dimarato
Maintankadonor

Postby thatguy » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:15 am

rodos wrote:
thatguy wrote:While not totally feasible to solo as Enhance, the tiger handlers (first two mobs in the instance) in Lost City of Tol'vir have some good skins. Grab a friend and focus fire down the handler and mop up the tigers. Zone out and reset.

Pretty sure the handler is susceptible to CC*. You should be able to hex the handler and kill the tigers.

*I went in as ret to see if it was a feasible solo rep farm. Repented the handler, killed tigers, healed then took on the handler. I killed him fine but it was too slow to be useful rep.

Good point. You could probably just alternate Shamanistic Rage and Feral Spirits to help out the incoming damage. Maelstrom for instant Healing Surges. You've convinced me. Tol'vir gets my vote.
thatguy

Postby thatguy » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:02 am

I found another decent spot for skinning. Vir'naal Oasis in Uldum (48,31). Relatively quick spawning crocs with 50k health that you can pick up 2 or 3 at a time.
thatguy

Next

Return to General