Remove Advertisements

Tank Bot - Fun with PuGs

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Tank Bot - Fun with PuGs

Postby Rachmaninoff » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:33 pm

Amirya wrote:Of course, I told the boomkin who butt pulled TWO groups that I had a microwave with their name on it.

so this isn't what you call making a threat? :lol:
Rachmaninoff

Postby Chicken » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:54 pm

Rachmaninoff wrote:
Amirya wrote:Of course, I told the boomkin who butt pulled TWO groups that I had a microwave with their name on it.

so this isn't what you call making a threat? :lol:
I'd call it making a treat. Tasty.
Chicken

Postby Amirya » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:18 pm

I meant, you're not making threats yet.

Trying to make me sound all nice and charming. :lol:

Also, I agree with Chicken. Microwaved Boomkin with some barbecue sauce...yum.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Koatanga » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:03 pm

Talima wrote:Here's a video that was posted in the gamespot topic of someone doing this in Grim Batol.

I really fail to see the homour in this. In fact, I find it disgusting.

The tank is slowing down the run with his moronic RP. You can see people saying "OMFG goooooo" in party chat. Then on the boss the tank pulls but doesn't build threat - his back is to the boss - on purpose.

These people have to wait in long queues to get dungeons. The last thing they want to do is wait even longer while some douche amuses himself at their expense.

The people who waited will have to queue again and wait some more, but Mr. Yuk-Yuk the laughing tank doesn't give a crap about that. He can jump right into another group and grief them.

This is a game, but the people we instance with are not NPCs. FFS, people, treat people like people.

I am embarrassed that this sort of thing goes on, and that people on this board of all places find it amusing.

We as tanks may have a stranglehold on instancing, but it is utterly reprehensible for us to take advantage of it in this way.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Digren » Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:15 am

Didn't you see the last thing in party chat at the end? it's one of the DPS players, saying "This is your fault for not voting to kick him."

They could have. They didn't. They apparently thought it was funny. So do a lot of other people.
Digren

Postby Gamingdevil » Tue Jan 11, 2011 3:32 am

Digren wrote:Didn't you see the last thing in party chat at the end? it's one of the DPS players, saying "This is your fault for not voting to kick him."

They could have. They didn't. They apparently thought it was funny. So do a lot of other people.

No I agree, some fun and games is good, but purposefully wiping the group, probably leading to it disbanding is just being an ass, not having fun. (although if he actually is an ass, he was probably having fun being an ass)
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby Barathorn » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:17 am

While I find the video mildly amusing as to how moronic some people can be and what they will put up with I have to agree with Koatanga, this is the sort of thing that makes me question how people actually act from behind the safety of a monitor.

I can see this being funny on a guild run when you know your group etc, in a PuG if I was DPS I would leave irrespective of how long I had to wait in the queue. That is just me though, I don't like people being pricks when what they do affects my gaming experiance.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Njall » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:29 am

Barathorn wrote:While I find the video mildly amusing as to how moronic some people can be and what they will put up with I have to agree with Koatanga, this is the sort of thing that makes me question how people actually act from behind the safety of a monitor.

Old lady friend of mine wrote her PhD thesis on this sort of behavior... several years before Penny Arcade distilled it into the Greater Internet Fuckw3d Theory.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Shyrtandros » Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:59 am

I love the idea - but I would only do it with a friend healing so that the run went just as fast without mistakes - start the begining with him saying "go", hurry up, yes then finally Y and then after that just tear it up.
"Warning: AA posts may cause severe urges to buy or rent games you may not have been interested in, known about or would normally consider playing. If you experience sudden urges to purchase said games please consult your wallet, bank account or significant other to see if these games are right for you and your budget."
Shyrtandros

Postby PsiVen » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:37 am

Gamingdevil wrote:
Digren wrote:Didn't you see the last thing in party chat at the end? it's one of the DPS players, saying "This is your fault for not voting to kick him."

No I agree, some fun and games is good, but purposefully wiping the group, probably leading to it disbanding is just being an ass, not having fun. (although if he actually is an ass, he was probably having fun being an ass)

I condemned this behavior in my first posts for a reason.

This is a much better video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAE2BunLtQg but it still suffers the same problems. We need more successful tankbot runs on tape than these :P
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Amirya » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:25 pm

And that's why I recommend my method of throwing virtual shoes at a guildmate/friend.

Run doesn't stop, and in fact, might pick up if everyone thinks you'll throw shoes.

As long as you make clear that shoe throwing will also extend to stupidly fast runs that result in unnecessary death.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Vort » Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:06 pm

I kind of get into the mentality in a pug group that if I get tank role selected (I never get to go holy /cry) it becomes my responsibility to do my absolute best to make sure the run goes as smoothly as possible. Not only for myself to finish in due time, but also for the 4 people who waited in line for sometimes up to one hour. On several days I've queued late at night for the random daily or even one I'm interested in offspec gear from, I find that I get put into a pug where the tank has left either part way through or almost at the end of the instance. This annoys me because it means that (sometimes they D/C which is legit) there was a tank in here prior who wasn't willing to do his job properly, or a tank who left after he got what he came for and now I have to help his group when there are thousands of DPS and Heals that can't get a timely queue. I feel that when you pick up the sword and shield, you have an obligation to do your best to get between your party and the nasty bad stuff.
Ilyashattack wrote:best ret pally, best prot pally, best jewish paladin, ugliest blood elf haircut person

Gárrosh wrote:You have rung a bell which cannot be unrung. Gladiator Astral and The Scum Cleave are an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression. Can you stop an unstoppable juggernaut of oppression? No you can't it's unstoppable.
Vort

Postby Reckoni » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:31 pm

Thats true sometimes, but theres also times where the group actually deserves losing their tank. Alot of wrath baby groups are really impatient and yell at you from the very start. Sit and wait for the healer to drink and get "go." however these same people have no problem ninja afking or autofollowing. Ive never been a 'cocky jerk' tank like the stereotype is, and I get abused like hell. Im considering completely going from the nice guy to acting like a total douche in 5mans, maybe I will finally get the proper respect that way among the lolaoespam wrath babies that make my pugs miserable.

I think the vids are funny and entertaining, however I dont wanna see anymore come out, Its old now to me
Reckoni

Postby Koatanga » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:57 pm

Reckoni wrote:Im considering completely going from the nice guy to acting like a total douche in 5mans, maybe I will finally get the proper respect that way among the lolaoespam wrath babies that make my pugs miserable

I'm pretty grumpy in PuGs these days. When the mage sheep-pulls because it takes too long to wait until I mark skull and throw my shield, I get annoyed and say things like "next time you pull without being asked, one of us is leaving".

I think a lot of tanks are douchebags because they can be. They are in demand and nobody can run without them. Nobody would put up with robotic DPS causing wipes and slowing down the run - he might even be kicked just for RPing. Slightly less likely for a healer to get kicked over it, but would definitely happen if he failed to heal because the tank didn't reply "Y" to some asinine RP thing.

Bliz really needs to do something to fix the tank issue. I don't know that making CC relevant and Shadowlabs-length instances have made people more desirous to tank them.

I think there should be "queue credits". You get credits for queuing as a tank and finishing the run in that capacity for every run after the first of the day. So the first run you get your badges, and the second you get bonus queue credits. You can then spend those queue credit to queue-jump on your alt DPS or healer.

That would initially create longer queues for DPS/Healers who don't have a tanking spec or tanking alt, which would put pressure on them to create such alts, or to use their tanks specs more.

The result is more instances tanked per day, which creates more opportunity for healers and DPS, which would actually reduce queue times. For each run tanked, 4 other people also get to run. Should it get to the point that there is a glut of tanks and a shortage of healers, then healers can get credits as well. It's a commodity Blizzard could use to incentivise people to run the roles of which there is a shortage.

It's also a good time-sink since it incentivises people to level and gear alts.
Retired. Koatanga, Shapely, Sultry, Doominatrix of Greenstone - Dath'Remar
Koatanga

Postby Reckoni » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:51 pm

That sounds nice and all but thats assuming that the majority wants to tank, which I dont believe is true. Alot of people play dps for the fact that tanking is too stressful, thats why I dont heal, for example. Ive tried before but the pressure stresses me out and I end up not enjoying the game as much. It still gives the tanks more freedom and would maybe even work the opposite way that you intended. Tanks getting points for alts to queue faster will result in more alt runs from tanks, sure however that doesnt guarantee every dps will have their own tank alt and the game would lose even more balance.

Thats just my thought atleast
Reckoni

PreviousNext

Return to General