Remove Advertisements

Archaeology buffs from dungeons

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Archaeology buffs from dungeons

Postby Kelaan » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:51 am

Using keystones on rares means that it took you more shards to GET to that recipe. It is the same total shard use if you use the relics on commons to open the rares sooner, or save them for the rares. I have a large surplus of relics, though -- in that I have ~8 relics for dwarves sitting around, and nothing to use them on. So, I use them every chance I get. I'm stockpiling my troll ones too, and will use them once I finally start solving troll artifacts.
Kelaan

Postby Njall » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:57 am

Yes. And if I am short keystones? The AH will provide. I have the dosh and I'd rather just spend 100 gp. Either that or I hold off on solving the find until I do have enough kyestones. I'd rather solve as many things as I can as quickly as I can. That gets me to the rares in as timely a fashion as dwarvenly possible.

P.S. It feels weird to have a racial that is actually very useful...!
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby djlar » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:01 pm

I'm selling my Tol'vir ones in the AH for huge cash. this is my non alchemist toon, still will save at least 3 for my alchemist when vial of the sands comes.. For troll is cheap and you'll have your two hander i359 sword ready.
djlar

Postby Flex » Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:06 pm

so many troll repeats, I am losing hope.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Discus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:06 am

Were these dungeon buffs from archaeology brought in with a recent patch? In my casual guild/amongst casual players I know, few have levelled archaeology because the time vs benefit didn't make it worth it for a casual player.

I'm wondering whether Blizzard are trying to make archaeology more widely levelled.
Discus

Postby Njall » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:14 am

Discus wrote:Were these dungeon buffs from archaeology brought in with a recent patch? In my casual guild/amongst casual players I know, few have levelled archaeology because the time vs benefit didn't make it worth it for a casual player.

I'm wondering whether Blizzard are trying to make archaeology more widely levelled.

They've been there from the start but not accessible unless you have the skill - sort of like the JC dailies in the captial. You have to have a high level of archaeology to use them or even get them to appear. The requirement is an Archaeology skill of 450+, I believe. Possibly 525 for a heroic.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby beornus » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:39 am

Njall wrote:
amh wrote:Well, bubblehearth is back. Figured it would be bad form to make a topic out of it, getting people´s hopes up. Still, gogo archaeology-bubblehearth!

Last Relic of Argus - 5 sec cast, usable in combat.

(12 hour cooldown)

Oh... God.... Yes....

Er, was it good for you too...?

Who are you kidding, you don't care if he enjoyed it, you got yours, you loved it, stop pretending to be senstive.
beornus
Maintankadonor

Postby djlar » Mon Jan 10, 2011 1:49 pm

The Last Relic of Angus almost the same as using a scroll of recall from inscription when you are a level above requirement, puts you in a random place, sometimes ready to die from a fall.. hehehe
djlar

Postby Njall » Mon Jan 10, 2011 2:17 pm

djlar wrote:The Last Relic of Angus almost the same as using a scroll of recall from inscription when you are a level above requirement, puts you in a random place, sometimes ready to die from a fall.. hehehe

But I can use the Last Relic in combat... with bubble. Can I do that with the Scroll? I think that is no. And the cast time is too long...

P.S. Sold two Tol'vir Hieroglyphs in the AH for 1500 gp each. Bought them for 300 each.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby djlar » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:00 am

Tol'vir are going for about 600G in my realm, they sell pretty quickly...

Dwarf and others not so much, I do use Dwarf runes and Highborne Scrolls on Heroics, the boost helps out, if I see the run is going well I go spend it, just last night on Heroic BRC I spent the Dwarf one, and turned out that the guys in group were going for achievements, good group, and we didn't even had to CC!
djlar

Postby Njall » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:03 am

djlar wrote:Tol'vir are going for about 600G in my realm, they sell pretty quickly...

Dwarf and others not so much, I do use Dwarf runes and Highborne Scrolls on Heroics, the boost helps out, if I see the run is going well I go spend it, just last night on Heroic BRC I spent the Dwarf one, and turned out that the guys in group were going for achievements, good group, and we didn't even had to CC!

From the PTR notes:

# Archaeology

* Archaeology fragments now have a hard cap of 200 per race. Players will not be able to collect additional fragments until they complete artifacts to take them down below 200 fragments. Players with more than 200 fragments will not lose additional fragments in 4.0.6, but in a future patch we may remove any fragments above 200.
* Archaeology finds now grant a guaranteed skill point up to 50 skill, and then no longer grant skill gains, as opposed to granting up to 100 skill very slowly.

This changes both leveling and long-term strategies. No more saving up a zillion fragments for when they implement new items (but this is pretty much proof that they intend to do so!).

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:39 am

I find it a little odd they're making those changes, since it forces you to use your fragments sooner than you would otherwise (instead of maximising your fragment use by waiting for keystones - and I regularly save up to 400-500 fragments waiting on those) and increases the amount of artifacts you need to make to max your skill.

In other words, it increases the overall amount of digging you're going to have to do as an Archaeologist, making the grindiest profession even more grindy... The only way this isn't true is if they've also buffed the keystone droprate.

It seems with Archaeology Blizzard completely disregarded their decision to make things "gated, not grindy" in Cataclysm.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby fuzzygeek » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:24 pm

KysenMurrin wrote:It seems with Archaeology Blizzard completely disregarded their decision to make things "gated, not grindy" in Cataclysm.

They also stated that Arch was something for players to do in their downtime, which implies it is something intended to be grindy over the long term, vs. something "completed" and never touched again.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to General