Selfish Guildmates

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Selfish Guildmates

Postby lythac » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:19 pm

Chicken wrote:
lythac wrote:
Dantriges wrote:As a tank you have to learn to say No. Otherwise you get burnt out by the demands of other people who will never return the favor. A guild is there to help each other but you can´t shoulder the burden alone.

Fuck you Karazhan attunement and everyones God damn alts.
I see your Karazhan attunement and raise you the Tempest Keep attunement. Running Arcatraz, Shattered Halls, Shadow Lab and Steam Vault heroic on a daily basis gets old very, very quickly.

THEY ALL BLEND IN TOGETHER!!!!!!!

We weren't at the point of getting alts into TK (for gear/fun) so any runs I did for that were for new recruits/healer alts and thus the good of the guild so were fine by me.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Jheherrin » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:36 am

Selfish guildies really are a problem for me at the moment.
I levelled my main up (Enh Shammy) and then found that the queues for random heroics were horrible and everyone in guild was moaning about lack of tanks.
So rather than carry on gearing my main, I leveled my tank (DK).

Situation now is this; my tank is just about geared to do Heroics (ilvl 330), but I don't feel comfortable yet, so I want to run normals to get rep (for gear) and more experience of the fights.
Noone in guild will run normals with me because they only want to run heroics and yet they still moan like hell that there are not enough tanks to do guild heroic runs.
Also, due to me not having carried on gearing my main, I cant get into the guild raids as they say i'm not geared up enough.

Makes me wonder why I even bothered to level my tank up. I feel a new guild hunt coming on.
Moonglade EU - Catalyst : Jheherrin,Glowlimn,Caamora
Aggramar EU - The Phoenix Reborn : Kasreyn,Gossamer
Jheherrin

Postby Epimer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:03 am

I don't want to come across all Gevlon, but I really don't feel the need to bend over backwards to appease my guildies, and would feel uncomfortable if they did the same for me.

If I ask in guild if anyone wants to do a heroic, I wouldn't expect people who had no need for a heroic run to reply. I'd rather fill a group with people who had something to get out of a run, be it drops, rep, Justice Points, or even the fun of coming along to the run. I certainly wouldn't want people coming along out of a sense of duty or whatever. Your game time is your game time; using it to appease other people rather than enjoying yourself is a sure-fire way to burn out.

I'm not completely selfish; I continued to sign up for ICC achievement runs after I had my drake because those people had helped me get mine so it's only fair to help them out in return. And of course my toon's trade skills etc. are there for free use from a guild member. And I'll happily change my schedule to do my daily heroic if a guild healer or DPS is asking in gchat, because it saves them the queue and I'd be going anyway later on... But feeling entitled to dictate how someone else should spend their game time is a completely foreign concept to me.
Epimer

Postby Njall » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:20 am

Someone started the attack on Kael in TK because they 'didn't want to wait around'. I was still on my way to the instance. I'd bailed out of a winning TB to do so.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Blackharon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:35 am

Thing is - as a tank in my guild - there is no way I could possibly take care of all the people who want a run from me.

I had one person in guild who had the nerve to call me out in /g saying that 'I never advertise my runs in guild chat'

Sorry - I had 15 whispers when I logged in. I took 4 of them this time, 4 of them the next and then logged off to go to sleep. When I have 2 hours a day to play, I can't run all 40-something guildies. Better luck next time.
The Cat's out of the bag!
Pickpawcket for iPhone and iPad
http://www.pickpawcket.com
Blackharon

Postby djlar » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:52 am

Blackharon wrote:Thing is - as a tank in my guild - there is no way I could possibly take care of all the people who want a run from me.

I had one person in guild who had the nerve to call me out in /g saying that 'I never advertise my runs in guild chat'

Sorry - I had 15 whispers when I logged in. I took 4 of them this time, 4 of them the next and then logged off to go to sleep. When I have 2 hours a day to play, I can't run all 40-something guildies. Better luck next time.

At least you don't go PvP instead like our tanks did, good riddance from that guild that I'm now not a member of..
djlar

Postby thatguy » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:14 am

I honestly don't expect anyone in my guild to help me but that's because I don't ask. I'm pretty self sufficient and if I do need anything, I would be sure to pay for it at the market value. If they were to refuse, that's their choice, but I don't want to be known as the "guy that never tips", even to guild members.

The amount of time/gold/rep saved just from the guild perks makes it worthwhile to me to stay in a guild where I have at max, one friend. Though, I'm a dirty stinking casual that is more focused on gold and having fun on my own terms.
thatguy

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:15 am

djlar wrote:
Blackharon wrote:Thing is - as a tank in my guild - there is no way I could possibly take care of all the people who want a run from me.

At least you don't go PvP instead like our tanks did, good riddance from that guild that I'm now not a member of..

What's wrong with PVP?
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Njall » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:20 am

Sabindeus wrote:
What's wrong with PVP?

They are, god forbid, not around to do heroics while doing so.

<Insert remark about plate-foot and tanking in the kitchen here>
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Blackharon » Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:36 am

Sabindeus wrote:
djlar wrote:

What's wrong with PVP?

Exactly - My old arena-mates aren't too impressed with the amount of time I'm spending PvE side.

So this just shows you that you can't please everyone as a tank. *the following is not an attack just an observation - please don't take it like that*
I'm finding DPSers, like the guildie who called me out and you since you're expecting tanks to make their plans around your desires, are the ones being very selfish. They want a monopoly on my time with nothing but a 'thanks for the run' in return for me.

I will re-iterate - Tanks should play how and what they like, just like the healers and dps can. If you have a 45 minute queue, that's more time you can be using to grind out dailies for rep, farm mats or any number of other things that I wish I had time to do as a tank. With enough gold or rep or mats, you can get geared just as fast that way. You shouldn't NEED a monopoly on a guild tank's time.
The Cat's out of the bag!
Pickpawcket for iPhone and iPad
http://www.pickpawcket.com
Blackharon

Postby Aubade » Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:58 am

Man, you guys make me feel like a dick.

Guildie needs a heroic? Well, he'd better ask in the 1 minute window from the time I decide I might want to heroic to the time I start the Q.
Outside of that 1 minute window? I'm busy.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:01 pm

Aubade wrote:Man, you guys make me feel like a dick.

Guildie needs a heroic? Well, he'd better ask in the 1 minute window from the time I decide I might want to heroic to the time I start the Q.

Actually this annoys me too. I'll ask in guild for a few dps, get very little response (if any), wait two minutes. Finally queue and then five minutes later everyone's asking me why I didn't invite them for a run. Guys, fucking PAY attention to guild chat. I'm not going to whisper you all individually and WAIT for a response.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Aubade » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:15 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
Aubade wrote:Man, you guys make me feel like a dick.

Actually this annoys me too. I'll ask in guild for a few dps, get very little response (if any), wait two minutes. Finally queue and then five minutes later everyone's asking me why I didn't invite them for a run. Guys, fucking PAY attention to guild chat. I'm not going to whisper you all individually and WAIT for a response.

Agreed. And actually my current pet peeve is people asking me if I'll help them with Heroics Achievements, the first few achievs I asked in guild, 0 response, it wasn't until I had pugged 90% and only had the somewhat interesting ones to go did 1-2 people come and help me out o.o so don't get all pissy with me in whispers when I say no thank you to run your specific dungeon that nets me absolutely nothing. (already exalted, have all achievs, have all gear. 1 Random a day FTW.)
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Shoju » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:22 pm

In WotLK, Standard procedure from me:

/g Going to run a heroic, who wants to come?

normally, I will get a healer, and a dps.

/g we have 2 spots for a full guild group. Last call, queuing in 5.

I hit enter, and then "i" for RFD. Then I count in my head.

5 one thousand
4 one thousand
3 one thousand
2 one thousand
1 one thousand

when that last one thousand rolls through my brain I have hit RFD, and it is too late.

Now, if there is someone who says " I need a minute" I will gladly wait 60 seconds instead of dealing with a brain dead pugger.

Now? I don't pug right now. Pugging sucks. if I can't get a guild heroic, I'm not running.
Shoju

Postby Epimer » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:25 pm

djlar wrote:

How dare they choose to spend their game time doing what they want to do, rather than carting an endless succession of thankless guildies through incessant heroic runs long past the point that they themselves have any use for them.

It's a wonder they can sleep at night.
Epimer

PreviousNext

Return to General