Selfish Guildmates

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Selfish Guildmates

Postby theckhd » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:36 am

With me, it's a matter of time. I get at most 3-4 hours on WoW a night, and usually less. In that time, I need to get in 15-20 minutes of AH time, cooking/fishing dailies, maybe TB dailies, and a daily random heroic. It's nice to be able to do what I want with the remaining time, since I don't always get a lot of it.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Mcduffie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:48 am

This makes me happy that I'm in a guild with decent human beings. Anytime someone needs a heroic, I'll run it. I've gotten my tanking set, farmed my ret set, and am now working on buying all the boas. I will probably reach a point where I have absolutely no need for heroics soon. Do I care? No. Will I stop running heroics with my guildies? No way. I love those guys, and playing this game with them is why I play.

Also <Nephilim> is currently recruiting...
Mcduffie

Postby Dantriges » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:57 am

As a tank you have to learn to say No. Otherwise you get burnt out by the demands of other people who will never return the favor. A guild is there to help each other but you can´t shoulder the burden alone.

I am rolling on loot as everyone else, not getting spoecial treatment and I don´t see people being willing to help if they ask for a small favor. No need to work overtime.

Still remember the hunter who more or less said, no I don´t come and help you in Mimiron heroic, doing pvp, ask meagain when you are doing Yogg. Still need this achievement.

I think he was a bit put off when I never invited him again.

Perhaps depends on the people. My healer called me one day early in the morning and told me Come on Mr.Grumpy, we do Occulus heroic for the achievement and need a tank. I cursed but I helped her. But at the moment? I am in a guild I don´t care much about. I am pretty new and some guys put me off with their attitude. So no overtime for them and I won´t tell them where my twinks are hidden or hand out my phone number.
Dantriges

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:59 am

Don't lie, you did it for your healer because she's a chick!
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Dantriges » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:11 am

Yeah of course. :wink:

Well we know each since BC heroics, that´s a whole lot of difference from young guys I know for a few months and are so full of their own ability to push buttons in sequence/priority.
Dantriges

Postby inthedrops » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:13 am

Dantriges wrote:As a tank you have to learn to say No. Otherwise you get burnt out by the demands of other people who will never return the favor. A guild is there to help each other but you can´t shoulder the burden alone.

This!

It's very important to strike a balance that you're comfortable with and to be honest with your guildmates. One thing that helps is to ask them to schedule something in advance and that you'll be sure to make it. This way if they really need you they can work around your schedule. BOTH sides should try to be flexible.

You've got stuff you want to do too, and you can't play the game all day. Try to work out a time when you can make yourself available to help, instead of whenever they want it (which is typically all the time).
inthedrops
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:18 am

djlar wrote:Personally I'm having to scratch my own back lately, our guild tanks think since they are now fully i346+ and all exhalted reps they won't run any heroics, only the daily random and will only do them with high ranked guildies

I'm a tank in a similar situation. My gear is top-notch, I play well, I'm in demand, and our guild needs more heroic tanks. Unfortunately, in order to be raid ready in time for our planned raiding start date, I need to also have Therazane and Earthen Ring reps up. The side effect is, in order to even get the tabard for Therazane, I had to spend two nights ignoring guildies' please for a tank in order to pursue my own needs.

It was frustrating. These are people I want to help. I don't want to see them left with a crappy tank, or an undergeared one, or a 20 minute queue. On the other hand, if I don't get my rep enchants, I won't be allowed to tank for them in raids, and will generally be less prepared. The good news is, I got the tabard so now I can tank heroics as much as I like. :D

I swear to god, I'm not eager to do specific queues for HoO anymore. Please no. And yet, I still will. :)
Kelaan

Postby KysenMurrin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 10:22 am

Wish I was in demand for Heroics. I need to run more, but pugging Heroics I'm not very experienced with as a tank is one of my least favourite things to do in WoW, and my guildies are almost never online at the times I am except on weekends. Even then it's hard work getting people to agree to a run.

Oddly enough, I have no issues whatsoever pugging content I've never seen as dps, even with the horrible group members you can end up with.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby lythac » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:37 am

Dantriges wrote:As a tank you have to learn to say No. Otherwise you get burnt out by the demands of other people who will never return the favor. A guild is there to help each other but you can´t shoulder the burden alone.

Fuck you Karazhan attunement and everyones God damn alts.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Njall » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:50 am

lythac wrote:Fuck you Karazhan attunement and everyones God damn alts.

:shock:
No! No, please. I-I'll be good! I promise! Nooooo....

(collapses whimpering and curls up into a ball)
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:19 pm

For tanking it's simple. You set the schedule. Tell them you'll run 3 heroics and don't be late.

For trade skills, I'm currently hiding my alchemist from my social guild as they expect me to do truegold for free.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Mcduffie » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:11 pm

Again, it comes down to sheer enjoyment. If you don't enjoy what you're doing, you're fucked.

For example, tonight: I ran BRC with a couple of our mages and one of our shamans. One of the mages f'ed up Corla once. Then he ass-pulled. Then he ass-pulled again. I called him retarded. We had a laugh about it on vent. I proceeded to hit on the shaman healer I picked up from trade. No other wipes. Lots of jokes about CBH. More sexual humor.

Though, I guess I did need it for valor points.

However, I did do a normal ToT for one of our old paladins who just got started again. I'm really ready to raid with that guy.
Mcduffie

Postby Jaitee » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:26 pm

i help alot of people in my guild ive ran a ton of heroics with em but there is always more who think because i get an instant queue means its my duty to run them through heroic after heroic..some will ask in guild every 15 minutes for 2 hours...if they would just queue they could have done 1 or 2 easy

and peoples proffesions are their own personally im holding off getting my alchemy drake till...well now just got my last BoE epic and all my gear is gemmed/chanted for both specs! but if they want to get it asap and not spend gold on gear etc well if i was your GM id give them a lower priority on who gets an invite come raid time
Jaitee

Postby Chicken » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:37 pm

lythac wrote:

Fuck you Karazhan attunement and everyones God damn alts.
I see your Karazhan attunement and raise you the Tempest Keep attunement. Running Arcatraz, Shattered Halls, Shadow Lab and Steam Vault heroic on a daily basis gets old very, very quickly.
Chicken

Postby Ryúú » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:27 pm

Lately I've been getting guildies asking for hrs on end to run heroics to the point they wont even que up on their own.

Yet when I know I have the time to run a heroic and ask in guild they would all rather sit around in Org. Don't really know what to do at this point as we need to gear up everyone else to get raids going but all the people who have decent gear, not the best they could have don't want to run anything because it's not important to them. Would rather go and get old school achievements.

Not really sure what to do about the guild seeing as I want to start raiding but I have no authority in the guild whatsoever. Sucks when the people in charge want to be selfish when it comes to helping the rest of the guild.
Ryúú

PreviousNext

Return to General