Remove Advertisements

Selfish Guildmates

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Selfish Guildmates

Postby Chunes » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:27 pm

With regard to your guildmates not sharing their prof cooldowns, I don't think your profs have an analogous cooldown like alchemy. 1 shot at potential procs per day on an item of pretty extreme value currently is something just about anyone is going to be hoarding. Now, unless your guild is founded on a sort of "group > individual" tenet, I don't think it's reasonable to think you can lay claim to someones high demand cooldown with no offer of compensation. Heck, even with compensation offered, I would not share my TG transmute with a guildy simply because it's not necessary. There are plenty of alchemists in /2, especially right after the 24hr cd resets at midnight. If you're in need of bars, spam/scan /2 for offers and I guarantee you'll get a handfull of people willing to sell their CD to you for 100-250g.

As for running lesser-geared people through instances, if it's for the collective good I will tolerate it, otherwise I usually request that said players get some crafted/rep gear prior to running with me. I have little patience for crappy DPS or inadequate healers, but from time to time it's a necessary evil to boost these sorts through dungeons to fast track them into a raid spot.
Chunes

Postby djlar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:59 am

Personally I'm having to scratch my own back lately, our guild tanks think since they are now fully i346+ and all exhalted reps they won't run any heroics, only the daily random and will only do them with high ranked guildies, I try to get someone to at least Q me to do a dungeon but it's been hard, several times I find myself with another 2 DPS guildies waiting 40+ mins while our tanks/healers are doing some BG's/Arenas, etc.

Once I commented that I couldn't get to i346, someone replied that I should buy the gear, like I'm swimming in money, I can't even begin to have half the gold for ONE crafted piece much less a full set. So I can't even get my own Leatherworking up to 525, specially with no skinning, in order just to get to 525 I'll have to spend like 20K gold and to craft something epic maybe another 20K.

I guess it's the hardship of being a recruit and alone (no friend in guild)
djlar

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:07 am

While I understand, to a certain extent, your frustration with your guildies for not running you through heroics, I have to also question why you're running heroics as a dps. You have the capacity to be a tank and get much faster queues, why are you only running as a dps?

People do get stuck at different gearing levels though. It's not particularly fun for someone covered in high level gear/epics to grind people through heroics on a regular basis. One a day? Yeah, that's probably all they're interested in doing atm. I've had to push myself to be interested in helping to gear others up because heroics, just for the sake of them, are boring now. Especially when you're capped out on JP and have nothing you can possibly spend it on.

There's a difference between selfish and boredom. And tanks get bored very fast since they're in such high demand for repetitive content.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:12 am

If he's trying to get LW up to make his own gear, I have doubts in his ability to tank (unless he's a bear...) though heals is a better probability (tree/sham) and somewhat lower queues (10-15 min on my server.) IIRC though, aren't you a hunter Djlar? I'm surprised they won't at least queue you then drop the group, that takes all of like 5 seconds, and then they can go back to their PvP or whatever.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:15 am

I understand that tanks do burn out quickly and that once you have your gear there quickly becomes no incentive to run daily heroics beyond a sense of duty and because of that I really feel for you here djlar. I know how tanks can feel bitter about having to run x dungeons for others especially if there is a chance of wipes but I also feel it is almost the duty of a tank to man up and put themselves out there to help fellow guildmates [to a certain point].

It isn't an easy situation to manage, I personally in the last expansion ran a lot of heroics when I had no need for gear or badges because it helped people in the guild. After a while though it does grind you down and I did have other characters to play so I ensured that I put people on a rota so that everyone got a run in a strict as often as possible when I was on one of my tanks. That seemed the fairest way to me and myself and the other 3 guild tanks took turns.

Not an easy situation. Do you have all your reputations up from dailies where possible? That would help for items surely to improve your ilevel and make it easier for Heroics.

The problem is that 5 mans = 1 tank, 10 mans = 2 tanks, 25 mans = on average 3 and a half tanks. They need to make the progression more linear. 1/2/5 would mean more tanks for runs for everyone.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:16 am

Skye1013 wrote:If he's trying to get LW up to make his own gear, I have doubts in his ability to tank (unless he's a bear...) though heals is a better probability (tree/sham) and somewhat lower queues (10-15 min on my server.) IIRC though, aren't you a hunter Djlar? I'm surprised they won't at least queue you then drop the group, that takes all of like 5 seconds, and then they can go back to their PvP or whatever.

Ah, I assumed he was a paladin due to a) the board we're posting on, and b) his signature.

Anyway, I WILL say that I have turned down a great many people who just want me to "queue them and drop group". That's not fair on anyone and that's a major fucking scam. Shame on anyone who actually does that.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:17 am

Nikachelle wrote:Anyway, I WILL say that I have turned down a great many people who just want me to "queue them and drop group". That's not fair on anyone and that's a major fucking scam. Shame on anyone who actually does that.

Yes, there was a former poster on this board who bragged about doing that for pay on a regular basis. Despicable.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Goodheart » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:19 am

Skye1013 wrote:I'm surprised they won't at least queue you then drop the group, that takes all of like 5 seconds, and then they can go back to their PvP or whatever.

Wait what? How does that help?
Goodheart

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:22 am

Goodheart wrote:
Skye1013 wrote:I'm surprised they won't at least queue you then drop the group, that takes all of like 5 seconds, and then they can go back to their PvP or whatever.

Wait what? How does that help?

Queue pops, everyone accepts, tank included.

Tank drops group, ports out.

Your group is now first in line for a tank replacement and you can usually get one pretty quickly since you've essentially skipped to the front of the pack.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:25 am

I can't see his sig, so I might be wrong in that respect.
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby djlar » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:47 am

My main is a rogue, my tank is still 83, decided it to level rogue because the guild was full on tanks, yeah most if not all the tanks are officers, all raids are theirs and of course all the gear, seems rare why they don't want more tanks since we are seriously lacking extra tanks, most of the warriors/dks/pallies are using main spec DPS, sure they try to get some tank gear, but like I said with limited tanks there are limited heroic runs = no tank gear other than rep/ JPs.

Still no time to level my pally, he's probably full rested XP to 85 by now, I guess I focused to much on my rogue, but after 4 hours of failed heroics it's getting really old, perhaps I should go a week grinding with pally and have a good 85 tank, but the odds to being invited to a raid are slim as a tank until all the officer's tanks are full i359 I don't see that happening.

But I can bet you if I get that tank to 85 and decently geared for heroics they would want me to Q them.
djlar

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 8:53 am

djlar wrote:seems rare why they don't want more tanks since we are seriously lacking extra tanks, most of the warriors/dks/pallies are using main spec DPS, sure they try to get some tank gear, but like I said with limited tanks there are limited heroic runs = no tank gear other than rep/ JPs.

Actually, I can answer this one for you. Since I'm the RL and a tank, when people apply to our guild as a tank, I have to forewarn them that since I AM a tank and I AM the RL that means I have a guaranteed spot to raids, like it or not. Since I already have a second tank who has been raiding with me for quite some time, he's got priority to go over everyone else. For new tanks looking to join a guild, that is a shitty ass situation to be in. I certainly wouldn't join a guild where it's quite clear that there might be ONE available tank spot, but it's already been filled by someone else. Especially when the RL is a tank and will be at every single raid.

That certainly curtails a lot of people from keeping up their tank specs if they do decide to join my guild.

Anyway, that's just the experience I've had.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:13 am

I get bored with raids but I never really get bored with 5 mans. In fact I'm having a harder time getting DPS for dungeon runs...stupid hunter camping for the dragon mount guy in Deepholm.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:20 am

I'd be curious to know how many times people are doing things before they get bored. For me... three to four heroics a night and I am DEFINITELY bored of content. That being said, I only raid two days a week, so I find I get bored a lot less quickly with raids.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Fri Jan 07, 2011 9:24 am

always raided twice a week and I typically never chain run heroics anything unless someone needs gear.
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

PreviousNext

Return to General