Remove Advertisements

Cardboard Assassin!

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Cardboard Assassin!

Postby Abyssian » Fri Dec 10, 2010 8:22 pm

http://www.wowhead.com/spell=84425

If you are an engineer I can't recommend putting this on your belt enough. This bad boy will taunt everything for 40 yards repeatedly and can survive a good beating. He DOES taunt both RAID bosses and Heroic Instance bosses. He will generally live for about 3 hits on a heroic boss which is usually about 3-4 seconds of time.

Useful Scenario 1:
You are tanking a boss and the boss just summoned many adds from different directions(i.e. croc boss in H Lost City) Drop this guy and ALL adds will start to converge on your spot for easy pick up.

Useful Scenario 2:
The boss you are tanking has a super death punch that applies a bad debuff? If you can get a sense of timing for it(with bigwigs or such) drop this guy and now HE took the super death punch and HE has the debuff.

Useful Scenario 3:
About to die? Out of cooldowns? You still have one left! Drop him to give you 3-5 seconds of no damage time for your healer to either catch up or to get the fuck away.

Useful Scenario 4:
Need to kite something? It is catching up to you? Drop this and bolt in another direction and you'll have a few more seconds of lead time.
Abyssian

Re: Cardboard Assassin!

Postby PsiVen » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:08 am

That's actually pretty cool, I think I will put one on my current belt when I get a new one. The Plasma Shield will definitely be sticking around for raids though. It might wind up being more useful sometimes assuming it can take 1-2 raid boss hits, but I imagine fairly often it will be too risky to use.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby coldthing » Mon Dec 13, 2010 6:03 pm

but....but....i want to keep my nitro boosts...

/sniffle
coldthing
Maintankadonor

Postby Skye1013 » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:25 am

coldthing wrote:but....but....i want to keep my nitro boosts...

/sniffle

Yeah... it kind of upset me when they removed those from boots... I mean really... how exactly does your BELT make you move faster? A rocket pack for your cloak/chest/shoulders I might could understand... but the belt?
"me no gay, me friends gay, me no like you call me gay, you dumb dumb" -bldavis
"Here are the values that I stand for: I stand for honesty, equality, kindness, compassion, treating people the way you wanna be treated, and helping those in need. To me, those are traditional values. That’s what I stand for." -Ellen Degeneres
"I'm not going to censor myself to comfort your ignorance." -Jon Stewart
Horde: Clopin Dylon Sharkbait Xiaman Metria Metapriest
Alliance: Schatze Aleks Deegee Baileyi Sotanaht Danfer Shazta Rawrsalot Roobyroo
Skye1013
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:56 am

I had really good luck with the nitro boosts during actual encounters. Once it failed on me a few times I've started looking for something more reliable. Which really, really pisses me off, because the nitro boots were reason enough for me to love engineering in and of themselves.

If they made a boots upgrade that required a long quest and fifty thousand gold, I'd still do it.

I like the Assassin a lot. The phase shield (18k bubble) is kind of retarded, considering we'll be initially running with around 150k hp. When I use the bubble, it's gone almost instantly. The assassin takes a few hits.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby PsiVen » Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:31 pm

Well, in practice the assassin takes about one hit, but that's still probably more valuable than the plasma shield unless you needed it a second faster (because he takes a second to spawn and taunt).

As far as I can tell, the Cardboard armor is about 0, which means that a hit that we'd absorb from an 18k shield roughly equals a 45k hit. So as long as you're willing to forgo the speed of an instant shield for an almost-instant dummy that might screw things up with taunting, it's better at saving damage.

By the way, the failure mode for the plasma shield is a 4-second AoE taunt (fixate).
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:01 pm

Something else I'll do is jump away from the assassin, which is sometimes good for an additional GCD or two for my healers.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:10 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:I had really good luck with the nitro boosts during actual encounters. Once it failed on me a few times I've started looking for something more reliable. Which really, really pisses me off, because the nitro boots were reason enough for me to love engineering in and of themselves.

There is a great video of nitro-boosts failing during a Blood Council pull that shot the tank up into the Queen's room. She aggro'd...

Comedy gold.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:13 pm

fuzzygeek wrote:Something else I'll do is jump away from the assassin, which is sometimes good for an additional GCD or two for my healers.

What's the cooldown? (Visions of chain-kiting with Assassins and Disengage on my hunter... :-)
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Hearthvaderr » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Njall wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:I had really good luck with the nitro boosts during actual encounters. Once it failed on me a few times I've started looking for something more reliable. Which really, really pisses me off, because the nitro boots were reason enough for me to love engineering in and of themselves.

There is a great video of nitro-boosts failing during a Blood Council pull that shot the tank up into the Queen's room. She aggro'd...

Comedy gold.

I must see this video, where is it?
Hearthvaderr

Postby Hearthvaderr » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Njall wrote:

Comedy gold.

I must see this video, where is it?
Hearthvaderr

Postby fudomyou » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:43 pm

Skye1013 wrote:
coldthing wrote:but....but....i want to keep my nitro boosts...

/sniffle

Yeah... it kind of upset me when they removed those from boots... I mean really... how exactly does your BELT make you move faster? A rocket pack for your cloak/chest/shoulders I might could understand... but the belt?

Isn't it obvious?

fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:18 pm

halabar wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:Something else I'll do is jump away from the assassin, which is sometimes good for an additional GCD or two for my healers.

What's the cooldown? (Visions of chain-kiting with Assassins and Disengage on my hunter... :-)

5m. :(
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Return to General