Remove Advertisements

New Tank - levelling, Dungeon Finder and assorted

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

New Tank - levelling, Dungeon Finder and assorted

Postby Saler » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:12 pm

tl;dr: RDF throws up rude immature people who make a levelling tank question whether to use it again.

"I hope you get cancer and die"

After getting that whisper I wondered why I'd come back to WoW.

I first played in classic in the months following release, back when Onyxia and MC were the only endgame content. I dropped the game, picked it up again at BC and joined some friends from other games to do endgame content in BC, primarily as a Shadowpriest. After trying the WotLK beta I realised I didn't have the time or desire to grind up and gear up all overagain and dropped out.

Until a friend sent me an RAF invite. I knew the sundering had just happened and Cata was around the corner so figured I'd see how much the game had changed. Playing on a new server, in my own timezone this time (raiding in other timezones got old), with no heirlooms or 70+ to feed my lowbie levelling. Though I did get a set of bags from one of my friends.

I was more than pleasantly surprised. Most (not all) of the zones are very much improved and the levelling experience is great. I got to call in goblin commandos, swim in the Thousand Needles lake (!) and find myself loving playing a paladin and tanking.

Well, mostly loving the tanking.

I'd read a lot about the random dungeon finder and how it's said to be the cesspool of WoW. Having read Barathorn's excellent account of getting into ICC Heroic (which I have an awareness of in the abstract) in 24 hours played time after hitting 80, I knew that the abuse was a possibility. But my first 20-odd dungeons were great. I was holding threat, I was getting good groups and they were being smart. I was even getting asked to mark up targets so the dps would stay on the same mob (which was dejour in BC but apparently a novelty in LK).

And then I got over 35 and things started to change. More and more people would have the 'gogogo' attitude (I've come to hate seeing that phrase). I've set a macro when I come in to say 'Please let me pull, I might take 5 seconds longer than you but the dungeon will be a lot smoother as a result'. I've gotten some great experience on mobs going all over the place, set up threatplates, used vuhdo for my RD (though I still need to sort out a lot of addons i'm sure, particularly auras) and learned to start anticipating the random craziness.

The attitudes on the other hand, are baffling to me. First there was the multiple runs of Fury/Arms tanks and Ret paladins who rolled need on every bit of plate gear - even that with intellect or spirit. In one case when he had notably better. Scholomance saw 7 plate drops in my runs of it and the only time I got loot was when I lucked out without any other plate class in the run.

Then we had the group of dps-pullers. Each of them pulling. In one case each one pulling a different group at the same time (Dire Maul). That led to my 'Do it again and i'm going to drop group'. Remarkably that saw the rest of the group go smoothly.

Then we had today's group. In Dire Maul for some reason RF had dropped off. I still don't know how as I'd certainly not cancelled it. We'd pulled to the first boss and I was clearing the groups of dogs. I had consecrate down, was hitting my aoe rotation and the warlock decided to pull the other group of dogs. I didn't notice the red flashes on vuhdo straight away and the healer got dinged. I say dinged because his health was down less than 10%. I right-clicked his nameplate, all the mobs jumped on me and the packs were cleared. It's not as if they're hard or a major threat. But from what followed you'd think I'd left them to fight the 6 pull before Al'ar without tanking.

Queue the abuse: 'Turn on RF you moron' 'Lrn2tank' 'Use RD you (*^)*^&' 'dip5hit lrn2tank'. Started from the shamy healer, the rest followed suit.

So I explained that I didn't know why RF had dropped off but that I wasn't going to put up with this and was dropping.

Queue more abuse. And more..and more. I left, they didn't kick me (for some reason)and kept going inparty chat how they were going to solo the dungeon without me, how tanks suck, my parentage, my sexuality, my lack of intelligence etc. etc.

On the plus side I did get to see their healthbars all go grey twice each before they kicked me.

Twenty minutes later, while in Strat (having a great run other than the hunter pulling bosses while the healer was out of mana - queue potion, LoH and a lot of WoG), I got the /whisper mentioned at the top. 'I hope you get cancer and die'.

I'm now dithering about whether to use the RDF again. It's not that I can't 'deal' with the immaturity or use /ignore (though it didn't seem to work cross-realm).

It's not particularly fun, however. BC, of course, didn't have the RDF. You formed your groups from guilds or randoms on the same server, flew out to the dungeon and got to know who was good, who needed help but had potential and who to avoid.

The RDF changes all that. Obviously you can still form groups the old-fashioned way but that seems to only happen for raids these days. And being, currently, 45th level the handful of people I know on the server are all levelling their 80s (though there's talk of an all-goblin group levelling together which could be fun).

I know that come BC the instances are going to need more coordination. Then yet more in WotLK as it'll again be with people still in levelling up gear. The Cata dungeons being back to the old BC style with CC and coordination needed. I find myself wondering 'do I want to put up with the abuse', 'is it worth it' and 'how best to deal with it, just drop and queue again or try to change the attitudes'.

Apologies for the length and lack of Cata content. If I keep posting then I'll try to find something more interesting to post about - maybe the trials of a new 85 who didn't do LK and so doesn't have justice (?) points saved up etc.
Saler

Re: New Tank - levelling, Dungeon Finder and assorted

Postby rodos » Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:47 pm

Saler wrote:tl;dr: RDF throws up rude immature people who make a levelling tank question whether to use it again.

"I hope you get cancer and die"

After getting that whisper I wondered why I'd come back to WoW.

Did you report them? If I was Blizzard that would be a perma-ban right there. Players like that are costing them money by driving away others.

I've finally got my wife to start playing, and she got her hunter to lvl 15. I'm waiting for the weekend to get a guild group together for Deadmines so the RDF bottom-feeders don't turn her off the game entirely. If you know you're not in the wrong it's easier to laugh off these idiots, but for those who are new and not confident, it will seriously detract from their enjoyment of the game.
rodos

Postby econ21 » Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:45 am

That's interesting - thinking about it, levelling up my warrior tank alt, I also found PUGs got less forgiving as I moved up levels. The early level ones were rather fun, with a relaxed "less explore and have fun" attitude. Later ones had more of a "get in, get out" mentality with frequent positively bizarre behaviour.

I quit LFD after Sunken Temple as the reward/pain ratio plummeted (Outland gear just overshadows anything in the level 50s). Early Outland, I returned and had a blast; I knew those instances like the back of my hand from BC heroic days. Gave up again mid-Outland - the cool BC dungeons are for L68-70 anyway - but then enjoyed all of Northrend's 5-mans. From my main, I expected BC dungeons to be hard and wotlk ones easy, but if anything the reverse seemed to be true. L58-60 groups seem able to charge through the Ramparts now when I thought we would need CC, careful pulls etc. And I was shocked to discover that a knowledgeable L70 tank in full cobalt gear can easily die in the Nexus (which is a good thing).

My impression was that doing each dungeon once for the associated quests was very rewarding So generally my policy was to try to do each dungeon at least once. Often picking up the convoluted quest chains for each dungeon levelled me up so much that I did little else. I gather they have nerfed the XP but on other hand they have made it easier to get the quests.

I would just be flexible. LFD is a fantastic tool for a tank if you want to quickly get into a instance and are confident you can cope. Before LFD, I remember many evenings hanging round Shattrath vainly trying to form a party for a late night heroic. Yes, LFD can be an ordeal for a tank who is (a) learning an instance; and/or (b) gearing up. But if you stick with it, that phase is quite shortlived.

The best solution, of course, is to use LFD with some guildies. Strength in numbers and less open slots for crazy people.
econ21

Postby Shoju » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:41 am

I promise you that if you have the name / server of the person who sent that whisper, they will be spending at least 72 hours if not perma ban for that.
Shoju

Postby Flex » Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:47 am

We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Braundo » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:15 am

Flex wrote:.

Was that Maintankadin in that video hahaha

Also I'm going to have that DURR DURR DURR DURR DURR music looping in my head during all of my pug runs from now on.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Flex » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:22 am

yea, the entire thing is a bunch of injokes for the guild
We live in a society where people born on third base constantly try to steal second, yet we expect people born with two strikes against them to hit a homerun on the first pitch.
Flex

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:38 am

lol who did this
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Flex » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:42 am

Sabindeus wrote:
Flex wrote:. View, Laugh, Realize

lol who did this

My GM. He had a really long break from his computers and just finished it up last week.
Flex

Postby Kelaan » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:45 am

I loved the Maintankadin "post your frustrations" cameo :D
Kelaan

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:46 am

Flex wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:
Flex wrote:. View, Laugh, Realize

lol who did this

My GM. He had a really long break from his computers and just finished it up last week.

I lol'd, but now I am locking the thread because this really should have gone in Frustrations

and flex asked me to remove the links to the flash animation because he wasn't supposed to post it in the first place!
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Return to General