Strange Lower Level Mob Aggro

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Strange Lower Level Mob Aggro

Postby thatguy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:07 am

I apologize if this was already posted somewhere but I did a cursory search and didn't see it.

I've been powerleveling my herbalist/miner so that I can cash in on the raw material bonanza that everyone is expecting the first couple of days of Cata. I've noticed some strange lower level mob aggro.

It seems as if lower level mobs have either had their aggro radius greatly increased and that certain mobs are chained to other mobs.

Eg. 1 - I was in the Yeti cave north of Southshore farming tin veins. I could maneuver around Yeti-X easily and get closer to my node but if Yeti-Y was too close to the node, he would then aggro men which would draw Yeti-X and Yeti-Z as well. I hadn't noticed this chaining of mobs before. Maybe it's always been this way and I've been too oblivious to notice it.

Eg. 2 Farming copper in the Goldshire mine with the kobolds, the kobolds were very sensitive to my trespasses. Nearly every single kobold would attack and they seemed to be chained as well. Mind you, I'm on my 80 shammy and they're level 7-10. Previously, I would have to walk through the mobs, sit on their heads, invite them to tea time, and read the front page of the Financial Times while sitting on them before they would attack me.

I guess I'm bringing this up because I'm curious if anyone else has seen this and what (if any) implications this might have on the new leveling zones. Are the aggro radii for mobs increasing? Is it just a fix on Blizz's part?
thatguy

Re: Strange Lower Level Mob Aggro

Postby Digren » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:21 am

They've always had the ability to implement an assist function - separate even from "ganged" mobs like in an instance. There were a few places where yellow (non-aggro) mobs used to have assist enabled, so if you pulled one, others in the area would join in.

I would assume that, with the complete revamp, they turned this feature on in more places. That's fine with me; the incredible short-sighted nature of NPCs has always been a distraction in MMORPGs, even if it is necessary for us to not be overwhelmed.
Digren

Postby rodos » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:52 pm

Also I believe that mining (and certain other actions such as opening chests and quest items) will alert mobs at a larger range than just standing around.

However, skinning a bear will not aggro every bears.
rodos

Postby Zonzede » Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:58 am

Why not? I mean, you're skinning their best friend.
Zonzede

Postby Discus » Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:28 am

Previously, I would have to walk through the mobs, sit on their heads, invite them to tea time, and read the front page of the Financial Times while sitting on them before they would attack me.

I have nothing relevant to add other than thanks for making me laugh :lol:
Discus

Postby Palisade » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:04 pm

rodos wrote:Also I believe that mining (and certain other actions such as opening chests and quest items) will alert mobs at a larger range than just standing around.

Mining does for sure, though herbing doesn't seem to. Surveying however does. I've been aggroing mobs while doing archeology, mobs that are well below my level.
Palisade

Postby Njall » Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:15 pm

Palisade wrote:
rodos wrote:Also I believe that mining (and certain other actions such as opening chests and quest items) will alert mobs at a larger range than just standing around.

That takes me back to the days of truly skilled trolls.

Mining does for sure, though herbing doesn't seem to. Surveying however does. I've been aggroing mobs while doing archeology, mobs that are well below my level.

And yet, the mobs do not interrupt the surveying no matter how hard they try for you are...

COMBAT ARCHAEOLOGIST! WITH TWO FISTED SURVEY TECHNIQUE!
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Teranoid » Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:57 pm

I was in Bael Modan doing some digs and I put up Seal of Truth and half the dig site that was fighting the taurens came running at me from over 40 yards away. Whats weird was I wasn't even in combat and they just took off after me.
Teranoid

Postby Njall » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:15 pm

Teranoid wrote:I was in Bael Modan doing some digs and I put up Seal of Truth and half the dig site that was fighting the taurens came running at me from over 40 yards away. Whats weird was I wasn't even in combat and they just took off after me.

They couldn't HANDLE THE TRUTH!
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Teranoid » Fri Dec 10, 2010 5:19 pm

Njall wrote:
Teranoid wrote:I was in Bael Modan doing some digs and I put up Seal of Truth and half the dig site that was fighting the taurens came running at me from over 40 yards away. Whats weird was I wasn't even in combat and they just took off after me.

They couldn't HANDLE THE TRUTH!

Well.. I set myself up for that one didn't I? :(
Teranoid

Return to General