Remove Advertisements

Team America Speech - Philosophy for PuGs?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Team America Speech - Philosophy for PuGs?

Postby Goins2754 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:30 am

For those that don't know, there's a really great speech in the movie Team America where a particular philosophy is presented in a colloquial manner. I'll provide a link if you need to come up to speed. This is probably NSFW because of its strong language.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n1NOY_iQtU

Now, my question is: is this the perfect philosophy for dealing with PuGs? At the very least, this is the philosophy I've adopted. And I am absolutely a "D!¢k." I won't present specific examples because my intent is not to voice a grievance; but in a nutshell, when I see someone doing something like using their knockback on the tank's mobs or pulling before the tank, etc, I do everything I can in my power to make sure their PuG experience is not a good one from there on out.

Much like our bar fly suggests, this also means that some people get caught in the crossfire. Unfortunately, some nice, well playing people end up with an equally bad PuG experience because of my actions, but, hopefully, this means that said "a$$h•¡e" will learn his lesson and play better next time. To quote another visionary whose ideal I have a particular love for, "the end justifies the means."

What are you thoughts on this "revolutionary" philosophy on group etiquette? :lol:
Goins2754

Re: Team America Speech - Philosophy for PuGs?

Postby theckhd » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:57 pm

Goins2754 wrote:What are you thoughts on this "revolutionary" philosophy on group etiquette? :lol:

That perhaps you're putting too much stock in a joke if you think that's a "philosophy."
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Goins2754 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:27 pm

theckhd wrote:
Goins2754 wrote:What are you thoughts on this "revolutionary" philosophy on group etiquette? :lol:

That perhaps you're putting too much stock in a joke if you think that's a "philosophy."

You "do" understand what tongue-in-cheek means, right?
Goins2754

Postby Digren » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:29 am

I think you'll end up on as many ignore lists as the bad players, meaning you won't be matched again with the quiet, decent people in your groups, leading to you being matched more often with the bad players again.
Digren

Postby PsiVen » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:55 pm

Two things:

1. You arguably have a social responsibility to discourage bad behavior if you are able to do so. Sacrificing your time to bitch people out or teach important lessons is a valuable community service.

2. You also have a responsibility not to waste other people's time doing this, so making the entire group suffer by i.e. letting a DPS die intentionally has the opposite effect (on three times as many people).

I'm certainly guilty of causing time-wasting wipes pushing the limits of what I can pull at once, simply because there is no other environment to safely test that; it relies on my judgement and experience to succeed, and improves the quality of future groups even if it causes current problems. Choosing to take a risk is much more respectful of other players' time than intentionally allowing failures to happen because you want to rub it in, even if others in the group just want to get the run over with. If your group really agrees, you should come together and votekick the offender.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Return to General