Remove Advertisements

Levelling too fast?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Levelling too fast?

Postby Paxen » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:46 am

My plan for cataclysm was to start 4 new characters to see all the new quests, but they're gaining xp too fast!

My non-heirloomed druid skipped a lot of quests in the northern barrens, and is currently at level 24 without even having been to Zoram Strand - and Stonetalon is listed as a 25-30 zone. My heirloomed hunter is even further ahead. She's in Hillsbrad sitting at level 30 with one quest hub to go - Hillsbrad is listed as 20-25.

Given that I want to eventually see all the new zones, what's my best option? One thing I could do would be to start even more characters (I'm going to make them to see the starting zone anyway) and skip zones. Are there any zones where the story progresses over several zones? Thus far the zones seem pretty self-contained (done silverpine, hillsbrad, northern barrens and ashenvale).

I've already dumped the +xp heirlooms on my hunter (keeping them around for BGs), but maybe I could turn off xp gain from time to time. Another option would be to just do all the quests even when they're green or grey.
Paxen

Re: Levelling too fast?

Postby Epimer » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:59 am

Paxen wrote:Another option would be to just do all the quests even when they're green or grey.

I don't see the problem, really. If you want to do all the quests, do all the quests. Whether or not they're level appropriate when you do them isn't a huge deal, is it?
Epimer

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:22 am

I'm noticing this on my Rogue, too. No XP buffs, done nothing but follow the quest chains, and he's been a couple levels ahead of each area he's in since the mid teens (now level 25 and halfway through Wetlands, killing level 22-23 creatures).
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Zalaria » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:39 am

Do you have gathering professions on these characters? Gathering herbs and mines gives a LOT of xp these days.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:08 am

He's a Skinner/Herbalist, but I've sorely neglected the professions, particularly Herbalism.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Worldie » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:00 am

I do agree low level characters level really fast now.

I started a dwarf shaman some days ago, with 20% exp from heirlooms, i was halfway through Loch Modan and i was already 26 and most quests were green/gray. I left for Wetlands and after just 2 quest hubs i was 35 and had to leave again O.o
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Paxen » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:11 am

Zalaria wrote:Do you have gathering professions on these characters? Gathering herbs and mines gives a LOT of xp these days.

Yeah, they're both mining/herbing. Thanks for pointing that out, I'm going to dump both on the hunter. The druid is my highest level horde toon on another server, so he needs all the gold he can get. I'll probably keep herbing and see if I can't make some gold now that all the scribes are forced to buy old world herbs. Maybe have enchanting or tailoring as the second prof.

This is weird. I automatically optimized all I could for rapid levelling without really thinking, and now I'm going to anti-optimize :)
Paxen

Postby Fetzie » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:37 am

On friday my druid was level 30 and after looking at the different zones available I decided to see what had changed in Desolace. I queued as DPS in dungeon finder from landing in crossroads, and had levelled past the quests in desolace by the time I had ridden there. So I moved on to feralas. Quests are giving so much experience, each is betweeen 3700 and 5000 experience points, the quest reward from saving the chicken robot in the yeti cave gave 7100 (granted it meant trudging to booty bay, but still). They could maybe do with increasing experience required per level by 10-15% to stop zones going grey before you reach the end.
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Kazzak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Zobel » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:58 am

If you don't want to move on to the next zone, don't. Why take away the option?

A buddy was doing Loremaster on an alt early this year and managed to hit 80 before Northrend, just from quest completion xp.
Zobel

Postby sherck » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Zobel wrote:A buddy was doing Loremaster on an alt early this year and managed to hit 80 before Northrend, just from quest completion xp.

Holy crud. I wonder how much gold he made just from quest rewards going through all of Northrends at level 80. Upwards of 10k I would bet.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Malona » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:12 am

I find this to be somewhat of a dilemma. One one hand it's fun to wtfpwn mobs because you've got heirloom armor and weapons and you're doing so much damage. But at the same time, you do get a lot more experience than you would otherwise and thus end up outgearing the content rapidly. Since it's new content, I want to see everything and not skip content. And while it's fun to be op for a little bit, just one-shotting things all the time gets a little boring after a while.

I think in the end, I might just end up dropping any gathering profession and chest/shoulder heirlooms. At least until I get to Outland. I've seen the content there plenty, so I don't mind skipping past it as fast as possible.
Malona

Postby Gracerath » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:33 am

Did you do any of the dungeon quests before they tuned back the exp on those? It was crazy getting nearly 2 levels worth of exp the first time you go through a dungeon. It has been tuned back quite a bit but you still get a massive chunk of exp from the dungeon quests (which I think is great)

I've outleveled everything as well but I blame dungeons. It really doesn't matter to me though because I created the alts specifically to see content. My other option was to do it with a level 80 or 85, so no big deal if I'm doing a level 35 zone at level 45. I'm also using chest / shoulder heirlooms.

I have a question regarding the heroes call boards in the capital cities. Do they send you to every zone once you're level appropriate or do they only send you to certain ones once you're level appropriate? I went there and got one for redgridge and then later on for WPL and EPL. I was making my way through Loch Modan > Wetlands > Arathi. The quest chains actually sent me all through those but after Arathi, I was not given a quest to go up to Hinterlands. I went back to the board and it gave me a quest for WPL. By that point, I had outleveled Hinterlands apparently. I went up to Hinterlands anway and searched around and finally found the quest starters. I gained a few levels from dungeons while questing and went back to the board and got an EPL quest. It's nice that the board keeps you moving towards relevant places but I'd love it if it had the lower level crap too, just so you know where to go in case you pass something up. Just curious what other people have found.

Personally I prefer this faster pace. I've slogged through low level crap on too many alts to count. Getting to certain zones made me want to blow my brains out because I knew they were just one gaint quest filled pain in the ass.
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby KysenMurrin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:53 am

The difference is that now the quests are enoyable enough and progression streamlined enough that I actually want to stick around and follow the quests all the way through. There's nothing wrong with being able to skip ahead a little now and then, but when just questing normally levels you faster than the zone you are in progresses (and I haven't done any instances on these toons) that's poor tuning.

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Dianora » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:06 am

Paxen wrote:My plan for cataclysm was to start 4 new characters to see all the new quests, but they're gaining xp too fast!

My non-heirloomed druid skipped a lot of quests in the northern barrens, and is currently at level 24 without even having been to Zoram Strand - and Stonetalon is listed as a 25-30 zone. My heirloomed hunter is even further ahead. She's in Hillsbrad sitting at level 30 with one quest hub to go - Hillsbrad is listed as 20-25.

Given that I want to eventually see all the new zones, what's my best option? One thing I could do would be to start even more characters (I'm going to make them to see the starting zone anyway) and skip zones. Are there any zones where the story progresses over several zones? Thus far the zones seem pretty self-contained (done silverpine, hillsbrad, northern barrens and ashenvale).

I've already dumped the +xp heirlooms on my hunter (keeping them around for BGs), but maybe I could turn off xp gain from time to time. Another option would be to just do all the quests even when they're green or grey.

My heirloom gnome priest got quest achievement in only 4 zones: Duskwood, Northern Stranglethorn, Swamp of Sorrow and Blasted Land. I know I left some quest undone in Blasted Land because I was in a hurry to get into Outland. So, while I saw a good deal of the post shattered world, those are the only 4 zones I actually stick around in. Now that I've gained 3 level while in Hellfire, I think it's time for me to move on.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby yappo » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:29 pm

Wife got into WoW late summer, and so we've been playing on and off since then (me for obvious reasons with an alt).

Getting her from 1 - 25 felt, well, kind of what I remember from levelling alts earlier. The alt I used was 11 when we started, so I'm not taking that alt's progression into account.

Then we got hit by the new and improved dungeons...

She's 41 now. We look at a zone, delete all grey and green quests, start questing while standing in queue for a random dungeon. In case we run two dungeons we have to move on to the next zone due to outlevelling what we just arrived to.

Thankfully it looks like it's calming down now. Last dungeons (Dire Maul and most of Scholomance) only gave half a level each. Ok, Scholo is absurd, so a partial is enough for a LOT of xp.

She has to solo quests from time to time. No heirloom gear simply isn't slow enough when you get over 1% of a level for every flower you pick with Herbalism (that's me picking the flowers, she's a skinner and doesn't get an extra 900 xp per beast skinned).

My brother in law was lagging two levels behind. He levelled mining to 290 and ended up two levels ahead a couple of days ago... (37 - 41)

So, yes, at least 20 - 40 is verified to be absurd right now.
yappo

Next

Return to General