Computer Issue (Bizarre)

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Computer Issue (Bizarre)

Postby Korola » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:17 am

Yeah, mac never has any display issues. Thank god for perfect systems.

Korola
Maintankadonor

Postby fuzzygeek » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:27 am

Invisusira wrote:Update:

Step 1) Download new drivers for motherboard (m3n78-vm) and video card.

Step 2) Tried to update nvidia drivers. Install fails. Monitors break and now dual monitor support no longer functions; remaining display must be turned on and off every time screen refreshes.

Step 3) Uninstall and reinstall nvidia drivers. Install fails. Motherboard is now unable to find network card, stranding computer on its own little network-less island.

Step 4) Fuck it and buy a new computer.

And that's why I use a Mac.

That's bizarre. I suspect Invis' Mac of sabotage.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:08 pm

Invisusira wrote:And that's why I use a Mac.

Ah yes. The sweet, righteous indignation of those who are just smart enough to feel smug about their computer skills, but not quite smart enough to actually fix anything. :P

In all seriousness, hardware breaks sometimes. Even on macs. If her motherboard started malfunctioning, things were likely to end up this way with or without a driver update.

Also, onboard video. I've had nothing but bad experiences with onboard video in gaming systems. The newer ones are generally better, but I still avoid them in favor of a solid standalone card.

The problem you described could have been caused by a corrupt download as well, though I think that's less likely. Probably the on-board video became damaged, and the driver install failed as a result. If you were running WoW on on-board video for a reasonably long time, that wouldn't be a terribly surprising outcome. WoW doesn't really tax your video as much as other games, but it's still a lot for an on-board solution to handle.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Invisusira » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:43 pm

theckhd wrote:The sweet, righteous indignation of those who are just smart enough to feel smug about their computer skills, but not quite smart enough to actually fix anything. :P

Yeah that was my point.

Trust me, I know shit breaks on Macs too. I've had firsthand experience with it. But, being that Apple has the do all and end all in QC because there's not 20,000,000 3rd party pieces? There's much more peace of mind in that it's just a computer that works. (And a lot less options in customizability, yes.) You want to tinker around with your PC, that's fine. I like my stuff to just run.

We ended up spending near what a new iMac would have cost (monitor not included).

Intel Core i3 540 Dual-Core 3.06Ghz
2x 500GB HD
4GB RAM
Intel H55 Chipset
CX600 power supply
GeForce GTS450

Bottom line, needed it for Cata and needed it NOW! She's been cobbling and re-cobbling her box together for 2-3 years now and it was starting to get rough around the edges.

theckhd wrote:Probably the on-board video became damaged, and the driver install failed as a result. If you were running WoW on on-board video for a reasonably long time, that wouldn't be a terribly surprising outcome. WoW doesn't really tax your video as much as other games, but it's still a lot for an on-board solution to handle.

She was running a GeForce 9800GTX+, not onboard.
Invisusira

Postby masterpoobaa » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:10 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if it were the power supply failing on that old rig.
Of all the things that can fail on a PC, in my experience the PSU is the most stealthy, most mischievous, most fookin annoying things to fail.
Issues show up as the most bizzare collection of windows crashes and problems, and can (if you are extra lucky) screw up other bits of hardware, so even if you replace the PSU, you still get ongoing issues that make you want to cry.
Ellifain @ Khaz'Goroth does not approve of torture, save where there's experience/rep/loot involved.
masterpoobaa

Location: Brisbane, Australia, Earth, Sol, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Universe.

Postby Autofollow » Sun Dec 05, 2010 9:22 am

Just for the hell of it, you didn't accidentally turn on "Sticky Keys" or some handicapped accessibility thing that may be using some hotkey combination you're unaware of? I had both of these do some fairly stupid things back when I used to work support. I figured I would throw this out there as a "just in case" type thing and it's fairly low level, overlooked, easy fix type thing.

Stupid problems like this can be extremely frustrating to fix. :(
Autofollow

Postby Nikachelle » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:30 pm

Definitely wasn't sticky keys. I've had my fair share of problems with that!
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Epimer » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:02 pm

Nikachelle wrote:Definitely wasn't sticky keys. I've had my fair share of problems with that!

....nah. Too easy.

:D
Epimer

Postby Kayoto » Mon Dec 06, 2010 7:26 am

theckhd wrote:
Invisusira wrote:And that's why I use a Mac.

Ah yes. The sweet, righteous indignation of those who are just smart enough to feel smug about their computer skills, but not quite smart enough to actually fix anything. :P

I literally lol'd. :lol:
Kayoto

Postby Nemi » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:27 am

I've been having an issue with only some of my characters. And they happen to be gnomes weirdly enough. On all my gnomes (preist mage lock) I'm unable to move the camera when I "grab" the screen and try to move it with the right mouse button. This is also happening with my wife's characters. (also gnomes). It works fine on my paladin (goat) and my other non gnome characters. Weird. Deleting the wtf folder makes it work. Just any idea why this happens in the first place?

and lul...
Invisusira wrote:her box ... was starting to get rough around the edges.
Nemi

Postby culhag » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:57 am

Problem : something is stealing focus from whatever app I'm using
Solution : buy a new computer

... I'm stunned...
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:04 am

culhag wrote:Problem : something is stealing focus from whatever app I'm using
Solution : buy a new computer

... I'm stunned...

I'm not, really. I've been rebuilding my computer from pieces for about two/three years now (hell, the case itself is probably about six years old). Nothing is quite "solid" in my computer and it feels like a hack job after piecing parts together for so long.

I had a few options at my disposal:

-Reformat (still need to buy an external drive to store everything) and then put everything back on the computer. Too time consuming.

-Take out various pieces, put in new ones (if I have the pieces at my disposal without having to buy new ones) and then play with the computer as is until something bad happens. Then repeat this process for every single item in the computer (power supply, graphics card, motherboard, chip, harddrive, ram, etc.) This is not only lengthy but irritating.

-Start from scratch. Scrap the old computer and buy a new one. Sell the old parts and make back a chunk of what I spent.

Considering that Cataclysm is released TONIGHT and will be playable to me at 6 pm when I get home from work and I was busy the entire weekend, there really wasn't an option. I'm not going to fart around trying to find what is causing one sole problem when it's really become an amalgamation of things and I need an efficiently operating computer tonight.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby culhag » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:24 am

Well if you're building a new computer anyway, be sure to make a dedicated system partition where you won't store anything you want to keep. That way, if a time comes when you have to reformat everything, you won't have to search for hours to save your files.
You can relocate all the default user folders (desktop, my docs, appdata, ...) anywhere you want.
Last edited by culhag on Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
culhag
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:25 am

Yeah, I also bought an external harddrive for that reason.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Bobness » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:43 am

Invisusira wrote:Update:

Step 1) Download new drivers for motherboard (m3n78-vm) and video card.

Step 2) Tried to update nvidia drivers. Install fails. Monitors break and now dual monitor support no longer functions; remaining display must be turned on and off every time screen refreshes.

Step 3) Uninstall and reinstall nvidia drivers. Install fails. Motherboard is now unable to find network card, stranding computer on its own little network-less island.

Step 4) Fuck it and buy a new computer.

And that's why I use a Mac.

Thanks... I Lol'd a lot.... you've got a future on an alternative reality helpdesk :-)
Bobness

PreviousNext

Return to General