Computer Issue (Bizarre)

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Computer Issue (Bizarre)

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:42 pm

I'm not really sure where else to put this... but I've been living with this issue for the past month or two and just sort of worked my way around it. But honestly... it's got to end.

Okay, first of all, my set-up is two monitors. WoW on (pretty much all the time) on the left, and browsers, Vent, music, etc. on the right one.

Problem: Lately, while playing WoW, or typing in a browser window, etc. my computer, for whatever reason, will decide to tab to the desktop (I think). Originally I had thought it was just WoW, but I've discovered that I could be in the middle of writing on Facebook or an e-mail and all of a sudden it's as if my keyboard has disconnected (it's not that, as it works perfectly fine so long as I tab to the appropriate window to work in). This happens with the mouse too, so it's not a keyboard or mouse issue, I think it's got something to do with my computer itself. I could be moving forward in game with my mouse and suddenly my character just stops dead. I have to tab back into the screen or select the WoW screen again with my mouse in order to activate the window again.

I've checked the obvious things... I'm not actually alt-tabbing mid game or mid e-mail. It will happen randomly and sporadically. I've tried switching USB hubs, but that's done nothing else.

Of course, I've googled this. But everything that turns up is basically stuff involing computers shutting down sporadically (not an issue here).

Has anyone ever heard of anything like this?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Re: Computer Issue (Bizarre)

Postby Shoju » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:54 pm

Have you tried a different keyboard?
Shoju

Postby halabar » Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:55 pm

Two ideas...

1) Corrupted preference file for the display settings

2) Some background app is forcing your attention to the other monitor, but whatever it is, it's not showing up on screen (some random auto-update app, or some other pop-up that's somehow hidden).
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:26 pm

Shoju wrote:Have you tried a different keyboard?

No. And I could, but the reason I haven't is that it also happens with the mouse. It's not isolated to the keyboard.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:27 pm

halabar wrote:Two ideas...

2) Some background app is forcing your attention to the other monitor, but whatever it is, it's not showing up on screen (some random auto-update app, or some other pop-up that's somehow hidden).

Okay, how do I go about restoring an old preference file for the display settings? (Never heard or done this before.)

As for the background app... I kind of figure it's something like that. But I wouldn't even know where to start looking for a random one.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:30 pm

Nikachelle wrote:
halabar wrote:Two ideas...

Okay, how do I go about restoring an old preference file for the display settings? (Never heard or done this before.)

As for the background app... I kind of figure it's something like that. But I wouldn't even know where to start looking for a random one.

I'd just delete the existing display preference file.

For the app, you'd have to check your task manager to see what's running, or possibly run some other security app to check for hidden background processes. (I'm a Mac guy, one of the other PC gurus here would have to help further on this).
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Zalaria » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:42 pm

Is this on Windows XP? You could try the TweakUI powertoy. On the General > Focus option panel it has an option called Prevent applications from stealing focus. Check that and see if your issue keeps going.

That said, be sure you run antivirus and antispyware checks. You never know what there might be.
Dovie'andi se tovya sagain - It's time to roll the dice
Zalaria
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:22 pm

My usual troubleshooting method when googling the problem fails is to open task manager and start looking at what's running. I google the name of any suspicious processes to figure out what they are.

You could also try shutting down the extraneous stuff in your system tray one by one, in case it's one of those.

Alternatively, shut down everything but WoW, and see if the problem continues, just to make sure it isn't one of the other things you have open.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby trycare » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:48 pm

Go ahead and try some of the possible fix actions that have been mention here Nikachella, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it could be a minor issue with your motherboard. My wife had a problem like this and her USB slot’s would also randomly not detect anything plugged into it. A quick update to her BIOS and the problem was solved. Flashing a BIOS can cause some serious computer issue's (like not booting up) but based off what little I know about you, I think you can handle it. Just be sure to have your instruction printed off and maybe get Invis on the phone to help with some of the basic commands you might have to enter.
Better to be known in a small guild, rather than unknown in a large guild.
trycare
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:12 pm

trycare wrote:get Invis on the phone

1) we live together
2) I use a Mac, my shit don't break yo (aka she knows way more about troubleshooting windows than I do)
Invisusira

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks guys. Going to try a bunch of these tricks tonight.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:02 pm

trycare wrote:and maybe get Invis on the phone to help with some of the basic commands you might have to enter.

I know you didn't necessarily mean anything bad by it, but lol casual chauvinism :)
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Invisusira » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:02 pm

she's too busy making dinner to fix her computer you see
Invisusira

Postby Nikachelle » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:02 pm

Funny fucker isn't he?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:03 pm

Update:

Step 1) Download new drivers for motherboard (m3n78-vm) and video card.

Step 2) Tried to update nvidia drivers. Install fails. Monitors break and now dual monitor support no longer functions; remaining display must be turned on and off every time screen refreshes.

Step 3) Uninstall and reinstall nvidia drivers. Install fails. Motherboard is now unable to find network card, stranding computer on its own little network-less island.

Step 4) Fuck it and buy a new computer.

And that's why I use a Mac.
Invisusira

Next

Return to General