Remove Advertisements

Cataclysm levelling tips?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Cataclysm levelling tips?

Postby halabar » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:06 pm

Njall wrote:
halabar wrote:Yeah, I don't feel drawn to Vash. Considering that I'm already lvl 84, and haven't finished Uldum, I'll likely not go back except for a tabard and the dungeon entrance.

Uldum does have better quests.. but the rockwork in Deepholm, yum.. (did I mention I studied geology?...)

Spent 10 years working as a field geologist during the 80s and 90s. I prefer Uldum as I don't like being trapped inside a gigantic galena geode. It is a nice zone and very aesthetic but I just prefer Uldum, I suppose.

Looks more like hematite after limonite, with some magnetite of course, but I don't know how all the flourite got in there... if it is galena, the flourite does make more sense... but it does look more like converted limonite cubes...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Njall » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:20 pm

halabar wrote:
Looks more like hematite after limonite, with some magnetite of course, but I don't know how all the flourite got in there... if it is galena, the flourite does make more sense... but it does look more like converted limonite cubes...

The cubes making up the large pillars are very reminiscent of galena - I don't see much of the other minerals as cubic forms in nature or, indeed, outside of a rock shop that. Aside from pyrite of course. In my experience limonite is more often found in nature in botroydal (like a bunch of grapes) rather than cubic form or as simple rinds of oxidation. I have a lovely lump of bog iron I pulled out of the mud a few years back. Wrote my Bachelor's thesis on gossan deposits. Ghastly things. Now, I might think that imagining it was geothite would work. Yes, that would work nicely. That's far more likely to be macro crystalline in structure. Nicely cubic too. And spiky.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:38 pm

Njall wrote:The cubes making up the large pillars are very reminiscent of galena - I don't see much of the other minerals as cubic forms in nature or, indeed, outside of a rock shop that. Aside from pyrite of course. In my experience limonite is more often found in nature in botroydal (like a bunch of grapes) . Wrote my Bachelor's thesis on gossan deposits. Ghastly things. Now, I might think that imagining it was geothite would work. Yes, that would work nicely. That's far more likely to be macro crystalline in structure. Nicely cubic too. And spiky.

Goethite could work.. but once you are in that realm, then any sort of pseudomorphs could be taking place, and you could have hematite or goethite after-limonite-after-pyrite, or similar combinations. It could have started as a pyrite geode, with all the secondary mineralization occurring after the intrustions by metamorphic and igneous influences (i.e. Deathwing). You would need secondary mineralization to account for the spikiness, but something along that line would work nicely.

Is there anything in there that isn't cubic? Gonna have to take a closer look again tonight.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Njall » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:46 pm

halabar wrote:Is there anything in there that isn't cubic? Gonna have to take a closer look again tonight.

Not that I recall, except around the Deathwing area. Some of that looks rotted. And, of course, the quicksilver areas.

That said, I don't intend to put a geological interpretation on any zone that has a giant, hideously-deformed zombie geisha like Therazane running around. I merely was remarking as to what it resembled.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Amirya » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:46 pm

About the only things in Uldum that irritates me at the very moment is the quest chain from Ramkahen to get the council's approval (I did, but have no follow up quests, and they keep telling me I need to get the approval); the constant "in combat" bug I get no matter where I am; and the High Priest's quests to go kill eggs and snakes and things oh my.

I even commented on Vent I felt like the High Priest's personal assassin.
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:48 pm

Amirya wrote:I even commented on Vent I felt like the High Priest's personal assassin.

More like pest control! I did like the General's quest chain though. A pity about the Prince. I liked him and figured he was a shoe-in to replace the king.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Amirya » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:50 pm

Njall wrote:
Amirya wrote:I even commented on Vent I felt like the High Priest's personal assassin.

More like pest control! I did like the General's quest chain though. A pity about the Prince. I liked him and figured he was a shoe-in to replace the king.

The last part of the quest I did had to do with rescuing Tahet. I turned it in...and nothing else has happened.

Do I need to go back to one of the other two councilors?
Fetzie wrote:The Defias Brotherhood is back, and this time they are acting as racketeers in Goldshire. Anybody wishing to dance for money must now pay them protection money or be charged triple the normal amount when repairing.
Amirya
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:57 pm

Amirya wrote:The last part of the quest I did had to do with rescuing Tahet. I turned it in...and nothing else has happened.

Do I need to go back to one of the other two councilors?

http://www.wowpedia.org/Uldum_quests

There's the quest chain in all it's glory. Stumping for Votes is the part you want to check over. Hope this helps!

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Previous

Return to General