Remove Advertisements

Cataclysm levelling tips?

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Re: Cataclysm levelling tips?

Postby rodos » Mon Dec 13, 2010 4:45 pm

econ21 wrote:Just edited the first post with a few observations about zone progression in Cataclysm. Compared to BC or Wotlk, it is a lot more linear - there is choice at L80-81, but thereafter, I think going in the progression Blizzard intended makes sense. They seem to have done a really good job of pacing the levelling and questing so that you are about the right level for the next zone if you just do the bundle of faction related "main story" quests. You don't have to grind XP nor do you quickly outlevel the zone; it is just right. I was very impressed by the timing of it all - after L81, whenever I levelled it seemed to be very close to the epic conclusion of the zone I was in, cinematics and all. Linearity does allow better story telling and Blizzard have used it with skill.

I found I got ahead of things pretty easily. I turned in a few lvl 80 dailies, and did some archaeology while the initial (couple of hours) rush died down, then did a BRC run and went to Vashj'ir. By the time I'd finished that zone entirely (wanted to open up the final Neptulon dungeon quests) I was at lvl 83. Poked my nose in Deepholm, found it a bit ugly, and went directly to Uldum. Great XP and tasty item rewards there. At 84 now I have Uldum half done and am back in Deepholm to open up the Therazane dailies. Add a couple of dungeon runs and I reckon I'll have all of TH and Hyjal to do for cash at 85.

That said, I love the stories, and the characterization seems much better than in the past. In Wrath, the stories like those of Thassarian and, to a lesser extent, Keristrasza were really good. Cataclysm has even more like that. It's great stuff.
User avatar
rodos
 
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:20 pm

Re: Cataclysm levelling tips?

Postby econ21 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:32 am

rodos wrote:I found I got ahead of things pretty easily.


I got out of the starter zones (Vashj'ir) to go to Deepholm as soon as I hit 82, as I was frustrated with the lack of gear upgrades. I probably had only done half of the zone or less. But thereafter, natural zone progression synchronised almost perfectly with when I dinged (Uldum at 83, TH at 84). I skipped what I considered to be "non-main story" quests (basically those not giving Therazane, Rahamen or Wildhammer rep), but got some XP from mining.
econ21
 
Posts: 1378
Joined: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:53 am

Re: Cataclysm levelling tips?

Postby Njall » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:00 pm

Uldum. You will never find a more wretched hive of cut-scenes and mini-games.
Image
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
User avatar
Njall
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Thank heavens! Heavy Metal!

Re: Cataclysm levelling tips?

Postby thatguy » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:24 pm

Njall wrote:Uldum. You will never find a more wretched hive of cut-scenes and mini-games.


I thought this was a good thing!
thatguy
 
Posts: 489
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:11 am

Re: Cataclysm levelling tips?

Postby Njall » Wed Dec 15, 2010 1:44 pm

thatguy wrote:
Njall wrote:Uldum. You will never find a more wretched hive of cut-scenes and mini-games.


I thought this was a good thing!


It is. I just liked the quip too much. Thieving Pluckers and "Kill them with fire"* are great dailies. And now that I've done all the quests, it seems that some of my problems with phasing nodes are gone. Honestly, Uldum is the new Nagrand - for me at least!


* okay, I have no idea what it is called but its hilarious to watch the burning Schnotzzi infantry running away and setting each other on fire.
Image
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
User avatar
Njall
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Thank heavens! Heavy Metal!

Re: Cataclysm levelling tips?

Postby rodos » Wed Dec 15, 2010 4:14 pm

thatguy wrote:
Njall wrote:Uldum. You will never find a more wretched hive of cut-scenes and mini-games.


I thought this was a good thing!

Uldum is possibly my favourite thing in WoW ever.
User avatar
rodos
 
Posts: 1120
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:20 pm

Re: Cataclysm levelling tips?

Postby Holyblaze » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:17 pm

rodos wrote:
thatguy wrote:
Njall wrote:Uldum. You will never find a more wretched hive of cut-scenes and mini-games.


I thought this was a good thing!

Uldum is possibly my favourite thing in WoW ever.




This! Im a HUGE Stargate SG1/Atlantis/Universe hooker! I have all the dvd's and still watch them on TV! muhahahaha
"Take what you know of the Light...when you walk in darkness." - Mom
Holyblaze
 
Posts: 737
Joined: Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:55 am
Location: Alaska

Re: Cataclysm levelling tips?

Postby Njall » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:28 am

rodos wrote:
thatguy wrote:
Njall wrote:Uldum. You will never find a more wretched hive of cut-scenes and mini-games.


I thought this was a good thing!

Uldum is possibly my favourite thing in WoW ever.


As I said before, I have to suppress the urge to go and watch SG-1 every time I spend more than an hour in Uldum. Man, I really, really miss writing for the RPG based on the show. Pity it went down the tubes so soo. And the story of the SG-1 MMO is just sadness.

And yes, I was grumbling "where the hell is Brann??!?!" throughout most of the zone - until the end. He's still my favorite character. Has been since Classic. Always will be, at least, until the wife starts playing that worgen she's threatened me with. Woo!
Image
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
User avatar
Njall
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Thank heavens! Heavy Metal!

Re: Cataclysm levelling tips?

Postby edsdame » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:34 am

I hate Uldum with passion. Never-ever want to be there. Cutscenes in every bush, which are bugged and boring, slower repop, smaller mob populations, and nothing at all unique.
Don't get me wrong, I love the egyptian culture, but I feel like the whole map is a complete ripoff, while the others (especially Deepholme) at least trying to be something different.

But I guess I am in minority. Just wanted to add my two cents. :)
Image
User avatar
edsdame
 
Posts: 137
Joined: Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:47 am
Location: Out of my mind

Re: Cataclysm levelling tips?

Postby Mannstein » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:21 am

rodos wrote:
Uldum is possibly my favourite thing in WoW ever.


+1
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
Mannstein
 
Posts: 384
Joined: Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:40 am

Re: Cataclysm levelling tips?

Postby halabar » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:12 pm

edsdame wrote:I hate Uldum with passion. Never-ever want to be there. Cutscenes in every bush, which are bugged and boring, slower repop, smaller mob populations, and nothing at all unique.
Don't get me wrong, I love the egyptian culture, but I feel like the whole map is a complete ripoff, while the others (especially Deepholme) at least trying to be something different.

But I guess I am in minority. Just wanted to add my two cents. :)


Design - Deepholm
Quests - Uldum
Farming - Uldum
Cutscenes - Meh

Vash seemed less well planned, and while its "pretty" it feels a bit like a kid's art project, with everything glommed together. (allthough I'll admit I haven't done the full zone yet).

The overall design of Deepholm, especially the art of the rockwork, warmed the veins of my dwarven heart.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 9379
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: Cataclysm levelling tips?

Postby Njall » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:18 pm

halabar wrote:
Vash seemed less well planned, and while its "pretty" it feels a bit like a kid's art project, with everything glommed together. (allthough I'll admit I haven't done the full zone yet).

The overall design of Deepholm, especially the art of the rockwork, warmed the veins of my dwarven heart.


Vash'ir was cut down dramatically in scope from the Closed Beta, I am told with numerous quests removed. The giblin quest chains suffer from this particularly, becoming caricatures of the original intent which was focused on diplomacy and intrigue. Deepholme was nice but I found the quests too prevalent in grindy/kill-listy stuff.
Image
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
User avatar
Njall
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Thank heavens! Heavy Metal!

Re: Cataclysm levelling tips?

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:24 pm

Image
Image
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
User avatar
Sabindeus
Moderator
 
Posts: 10472
Joined: Mon May 14, 2007 9:24 am

Re: Cataclysm levelling tips?

Postby halabar » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:52 pm

Njall wrote:
halabar wrote:
Vash seemed less well planned, and while its "pretty" it feels a bit like a kid's art project, with everything glommed together. (allthough I'll admit I haven't done the full zone yet).

The overall design of Deepholm, especially the art of the rockwork, warmed the veins of my dwarven heart.


Vash'ir was cut down dramatically in scope from the Closed Beta, I am told with numerous quests removed. The giblin quest chains suffer from this particularly, becoming caricatures of the original intent which was focused on diplomacy and intrigue. Deepholme was nice but I found the quests too prevalent in grindy/kill-listy stuff.


Yeah, I don't feel drawn to Vash. Considering that I'm already lvl 84, and haven't finished Uldum, I'll likely not go back except for a tabard and the dungeon entrance.

Uldum does have better quests.. but the rockwork in Deepholm, yum.. (did I mention I studied geology?...)
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
User avatar
halabar
 
Posts: 9379
Joined: Fri Jun 08, 2007 8:21 am
Location: <in the guild that shall not be named>

Re: Cataclysm levelling tips?

Postby Njall » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:53 pm

halabar wrote:Yeah, I don't feel drawn to Vash. Considering that I'm already lvl 84, and haven't finished Uldum, I'll likely not go back except for a tabard and the dungeon entrance.

Uldum does have better quests.. but the rockwork in Deepholm, yum.. (did I mention I studied geology?...)



Spent 10 years working as a field geologist during the 80s and 90s. I prefer Uldum as I don't like being trapped inside a gigantic galena geode. It is a nice zone and very aesthetic but I just prefer Uldum, I suppose.
Image
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
User avatar
Njall
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 4328
Joined: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:13 pm
Location: Thank heavens! Heavy Metal!

PreviousNext

Return to General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Newsom and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Newsom and 1 guest
?php } else { ?