Cataclysm: Leveling by istancing

Anything, including off-topic posts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, PsiVen

Cataclysm: Leveling by istancing

Postby Worldie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:48 am

Hello there! I'm asking this question to most beta users.

As we all know, quest zones will be fucking overwhelmed in the first days of Cata. So I thought i may get a dedicated 5 men group and farm istances. Is this a viable strategy, or the istance exp is very little like for wotlk, thus i'd better stick with trying to ninja NPCs from the mass?

Secondary related question: Where can i find informations of where all the dungeons are located?
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Re: Cataclysm: Leveling by istancing

Postby Shathus » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:00 pm

I wasn't in the Beta so you can ignore this if you want, but from I remember people saying, the dungeons are good coupled with the dungeon quests you get for them, but afterwards it was a higher XP/hour rate from just questing. That being said, it probably just depends how crowded your server is if you ahve to camp mobs/items for 10 minutes to get it, then dungeoning may be more beneficial, not to mention less frustrating.

But someone with better knowledge correct me if I'm wrong.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:06 pm

Questing XP is better than Dungeon XP.

You can still level straight to 85 without leaving BRC if you really want though.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Worldie » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:07 pm

Well I'm not fussed about realm first or anything, but I'd want to be 85 in no more than 3-4 days.

The server is quite crowded, and since i don't know quests beforehand this time, I don't have any chance of passing ahead of the others.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby cerwillis » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:08 pm

http://www.wowwiki.com/Instances_by_level

All the way at the bottom, it has the Cata instances and links to their wiki.
Mistawillis - Cerwillis - Turbowillis - Evilan
<Silent Resolve> Durotan/SW:TOR Shii-Cho
Miniwillis <PK> SC
cerwillis
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:09 pm

Yes, you can. But they seriously nerfed the XP gained from instances - though that may only apply to the 1-60 leveling experience. Instances didn't have a huge long wait but could get pretty irritating. Remember, behavior in the beta has little bearing on the actual deployed game.

The instance locations can be gotten from Wowpedia. But you really only have to worry about two at the start: Blackrock Caverns (located just down the corridor from the UBRS stone) and Abyssal Maw which is best done after you complete the Vashir starter area and have access to a sea horse. Otherwise the swim down to the entrance is very, very, veeeeeeeeeeery long.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby davih » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:13 pm

I'm assuming by wanting to be level 85 quick that you want to be raid ready rather quickly as well.
Levelling by instance, in theory would be slower than levelling by questing. But blizz's intentions are to make you do cataclysm normal dungeons to gear for there heroic versions and then move onto raids.
So maybe levelling in the normal dungeons will then allow you at level 85 to jump straight into the heroic dungeons therefore decreasing the time needed to be raid ready
This is all hypothetical and i wasnt in the beta to test it
davih

Postby halabar » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:16 pm

Njall wrote:Yes, you can. But they seriously nerfed the XP gained from instances - though that may only apply to the 1-60 leveling experience. Instances didn't have a huge long wait but could get pretty irritating. Remember, behavior in the beta has little bearing on the actual deployed game.

This for 1-60 only. With the XP from gathering and Arch, I plan on leveling that way, with minimal instances.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby sherck » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:31 pm

davih wrote:But blizz's intentions are to make you do cataclysm normal dungeons to gear for there heroic versions and then move onto raids. So maybe levelling in the normal dungeons will then allow you at level 85 to jump straight into the heroic dungeons therefore decreasing the time needed to be raid ready.

While true in theory, I think Blizzard left enough gearing paths that you can be Heroic ready without getting a single regular 5-man drop the moment you ding level 85 via crafted, rep vendor and quested gear.

I have researched all four healer specs and have Heroic ready (almost complete Item Level 333 rare/blue) gear sets ready to go get that only consist of quested/crafted/rep vendor (to Honored only) gear. Sure, some of the pieces are 325 instead of 333, each gear set has a green trinket and Pally/Shaman/Druid have to have a green relic where the Priest gets a blue wand, but otherwise they are equivalent to the gear that the regular level 85 instances drop.

I would assume that Blizzard did this with all the gearing spec needs and not just the healers.

My gear sets will be better if I get some good instance drops but I see no reason that anyone cannot be Heroic ready the moment they ding level 85 if they do the research and put the time in to get the right quests and reps while running a minimum of regular instances.

Cheers,
sherck

Postby Njall » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:34 pm

halabar wrote:This for 1-60 only. With the XP from gathering and Arch, I plan on leveling that way, with minimal instances.

I incredibly am ashamed to admit that I am planning to level my main with archaeology and mining. Archaeology is a mini game that appeals to the, well, archaeologist in me (that and the fact I am a huge lore nerd). I probably won't even bother with Mt. Hyjal. Really.

http://cata.wowhead.com/spell=90984/the-last-relic-of-argus used to be an engineering item but is now a rare archaeology find.

On use teleports you to a random place.

* Inside Wailing Caverns
* Inside the Duskwood catacombs
* On top of the hill to the east of the dark portal in Blasted Lands
* At the base of the Wetlands dam
* To Nighthaven inside Moonglade
* To the Dire Maul Arena
* Inside Narain Soothfancy's house at Steamwheedle Port
* Inside Mardenholde Keep at Hearthglen in WPL
* To Fuselight-by-the-Sea in Badlands
* Underwater at the Golakka Hot Springs in Un'Goro Crater
* On a floating island east of the Dark Portal in Hellfire Peninsula
* To Lost Rigger Cove in Tanaris

IT MUST BE MINE!

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Braundo » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:56 pm

I'm definitely going to be doing a heavy amount of Archaeology as well, though it probably won't be the main way I intend to level.

As far as what I'm gunning for from Archaeology...oh, yes...yes, indeed.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:15 pm

Njall wrote:
halabar wrote:This for 1-60 only. With the XP from gathering and Arch, I plan on leveling that way, with minimal instances.

I incredibly am ashamed to admit that I am planning to level my main with archaeology and mining.

Archeology is a 2nd tier profession, so can do engineering/mining/Arch/fishing, which my main will be..

halabar

Postby Njall » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:19 pm

halabar wrote:
Archeology is a 2nd tier profession, so can do engineering/mining/Arch/fishing, which my main will be..

Yes, I'm aware of this - being a beta tester - but engineering, as sexy and wonkified as it is, won't be putting any XP into my grubby little hands. At least, I don't think it will. Fishing and archaeology and mining? God, its like being myself in an MMO.*

* Note that I did not say 'playing with myself' thank you.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:42 pm

Njall wrote:
halabar wrote:

Yes, I'm aware of this - being a beta tester - but engineering, as sexy and wonkified as it is, won't be putting any XP into my grubby little hands. At least, I don't think it will. Fishing and archaeology and mining? God, its like being myself in an MMO.*

* Note that I did not say 'playing with myself' thank you.

Just making sure.. I've seen others confused on that part.. :wink:

You dig up the artifacts, I'll dig the fossils..

halabar

Postby Njall » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:44 pm

halabar wrote:
You dig up the artifacts, I'll dig the fossils..

Did that one summer up for the Royal Tyrell Institute in Drumheller, AB when I was an undergrad. Long time ago. Hot work. Excellent and toned co-eds - intelligent ones at that! Ah well, I really do need to get back out into the field.

there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to General